Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2003, 01:39 AM

Default Logic won Pro Tools clearly 6-0 in OSX

Pro Tools 6 is here, but it seems that Digidesign hasnīt got any advantages from the celebrated osX. When comparing Logic 5.5 in os9 and osX, the power got in osX is something like 40% more. More plug-ins (reverbs, delays..) and thatīs important when speaking about native machines! It seems that in Pro Tools, there arenīt no advantages, when speaking about the Power. The final victory will be, when waves gives the audio unit support out. Rverbs will run!!! Only sad thing is that audio editing in the Logic is SO poor, with Pro Tools itīs a party. I hope Digidesign will support Audio Units and get better code to the software. Thatīs best for customers of them.

juha [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2003, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Logic won Pro Tools clearly 6-0 in OSX

and iīm speaking about SINGLE PROCESSOR machines. With DUAL, Logic has a LOT more plug-ins (more than 40%).

j
Old 02-17-2003, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Only sad thing is that audio editing in the Logic is SO poor, with Pro Tools itīs a party.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Logic 6 will introduce Pro Tools-like audio editing in the arrange window with their new marquee tool, along with the advantages of the Logic editing in both the sample and the arrange window (selecting non-contiguous regions, viewing the waveform before the start point and after the end point, loop adjustment and preview....).

Check out Logic 6 on the video linked at http://f23.parsimony.net/forum49865/

6am eternal
Old 02-17-2003, 06:14 AM

I am willing to be alot that PT will NEVER EVER EVER support AU. They didn't support VST did they?
Old 02-17-2003, 10:02 AM

Hey Kickin', I seen that video when Digi's site was down a few weeks back!! Looks very interesting! I'm gonna wait and see just what my 002 will do in OSX..hopefully it'll work with Logic 6.0.... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Or I may have to defect [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2003, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank S:
I am willing to be alot that PT will NEVER EVER EVER support AU. They didn't support VST did they?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">We can hope. One thing to consider, from Digi's standpoint - VST is a standard developed by a competitor (Cubase), whereas AU is a standard developed by a "strategic partner" (Apple). Hence, they might be a bit more open to adding support for it.

Leigh
Old 02-17-2003, 03:25 PM

Logic 5.5 has been running like a champ under both 10.2.3 and 10.2.4. PTLE6 on two different machines has been problematic. It looks pretty though...

You would expect this though. eMagic has been in OSX land longer, so they've worked a lot of the kinks out. I expect Digi to do the same with an update.

Audio editing in Logic isn't lame, it's just different than in PT. Each have their strengths...it just depends on how you work. v6 of Logic will make it so you can work more PT-like if you want. I made a tutorial for Logic that is presented from the PT/DP mindeset http://nostatic.fm/logic/

Once I get PT6 up and running I'll probably make a newbie tutorial for that too.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:46 PM

Quote:
v6 of Logic will make it so you can work more PT-like if you want
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Guess why!!! Most people who program in Logic edit in Pro Tools...again, guess why!!! But I agree Logic 6 is gonna change the whole ball game. Like I told you, I keep watching.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2003, 10:12 AM

I was trying to say that there would be much more of power if code was better in Tools. And that didnīt happen. No more D-verbs and other plug-ins. And thatīs sad coz itīs just optimising nothing more... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] How many would want to play bigger sessions with the same machine? Logic did it and HOPEFULLY Pro Tools!!!

juha
Old 02-19-2003, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Digi won't support AU because then Mac to PC compatibility would be messed up.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They could have the windows version support DXi in place of AudioUnits without really effecting how cross platform the software is.

The only thing is whether the plug-ins would operate in the same way as RTAS plug-ins do so far as responding to automation.

Of course we all know (or at least accept) digi won't support audiounits, it wouldn't make protools all closed and compatable with it's own suite of plug-in formats. This is one of it's good points IMHO, less messing around.

The thing is, and I'm sure someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong, Plug-ins as concept originate from Protools in the first place.

For digidesign to embrace a 'lesser' standard such as VST or MAS for example, would be like them admitting the 'me too' formats that came later are an improvement on the standards they set themselves back when protools initially supported plug-ins.