Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2003, 08:46 AM

Default Re: iLok Revolt???

My cost to upgrade includes a new computer as my G4 350 pci is not supported. Maybe I need a new cpu anyway, but, my machine runs 32 tracks just fine. So, add up all the plug upgrades, the cpu, the le software, the i-loc, the 10.2 .......and what exactly do I get for all this money? I get to run the same 32 tracks with less plugs than I have now, and rewire for reason at some point in the future. If I bought logic or DP, I'd get a lot more for a lot less.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:23 PM

I have a Powerbook and use Bombfactory software, so I already bought into the stupid iLok idea. True, this thing adds little or no value to paying customers with one computer and overall it has caused me headaches given that the Mbox needs a direct port, and this one will need another one somewhere...It's attached to my hub and so I can just load the new authorization on that iLok, correct?
Old 02-14-2003, 02:44 PM

All of you iLok bashers need some serious help - you are waaaay off here.

The iLok makes your authorizations portable, and secure. Move from desktop to powerbook - no problem. Wanna go to another studio with your plugins - no problem there also. No more floppy hassles, challenge response emails, just authorize it using the net or card, and you are good. It works on a USB hub, keyboard, whatever. Its as close to perfect in terms of the end user experience as copy protection can be - we're not gonna argue that are we?

I believe there's now an iLok.com management site which helps track and store your authorizations, which if anything should help prevent against loss of authorizations due to mechanical failure.

For the guy whinning over paying $40, grow up. Buying a new mac, and then a dedicated floppy drive (a la imation superdisk) cost me more and it ain't portable.

I think its fine, and actually welcomed it. I am glad Waves is gonna use. Everybody should . Just don't loose it.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:09 PM

What is crazy about it is that the software pirates crack these programs so they do not need an iLok. So I am not sure how much the iLok keeps the pirates at bay.

B
Old 02-14-2003, 06:44 PM

Reality is that the ilok only affects legit users. Nothing is uncrackable unfortunately. I agree something has to be done but a hardware dongle doesn't stop piracy. Some other sloution has to be thought of

Just MHO

mikus
Old 02-14-2003, 07:13 PM

Actually, due to the ilok, some developers are actually able to make some money. This can only lead to more quality 3rd party developers joining the fray. (ie--Massenburg EQ, Cranesong).

jh
Old 02-14-2003, 07:20 PM

Quote:
For the guy whinning over paying $40, grow up. Buying a new mac, and then a dedicated floppy drive (a la imation superdisk) cost me more and it ain't portable.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Anybody who wishes to run OS 10.2 will have a hard time doing it on a Mac older than a couple of years, and there has been no new Mac with floppy drive since early 1999...so Apple not supporting the "convenient" 1.4 mb floppy is indeed a good thing... As for the perfect anti-piracy "sloution" ( [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ), well...
Old 02-14-2003, 07:30 PM

3rd party devs making money...reminds me of some points of the discussion at PT6 demo where the rep said that software makers who adopt a protection scheme see their sales rise. I would be curious to see the numbers, but who am I to doubt his word. He also said that, until recently at least, McDSP's very own Colin was working practically alone with his wife (happy Valentine's Day, btw!!!!).Don't know if this is true either, but it certainly didn't affect the quality of the products anyway. We are not talking about pirating big corporations here...
Old 02-14-2003, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank S:
All of you iLok bashers need some serious help - you are waaaay off here.

The iLok makes your authorizations portable, and secure. Move from desktop to powerbook - no problem. Wanna go to another studio with your plugins - no problem there also. No more floppy hassles, challenge response emails, just authorize it using the net or card, and you are good. It works on a USB hub, keyboard, whatever. Its as close to perfect in terms of the end user experience as copy protection can be - we're not gonna argue that are we?

I believe there's now an iLok.com management site which helps track and store your authorizations, which if anything should help prevent against loss of authorizations due to mechanical failure.

I think its fine, and actually welcomed it. I am glad Waves is gonna use. Everybody should . Just don't loose it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Since I guess I'm the guy "whining," [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] I guess I get to respond to this one...

First, most of us have said we don't care about the portability! Also, if you read my post, I give a much better and USEFUL solution- using a disk on key or other portable USB pen drive.

By the sound of the marketing pitch you give for iLok, you must be looking for either a free iLok or a job!

We ARE arguing that it's NOT the perfect solution. Not even close. I haven't had a floppy drive for quite some time and yet I still managed to figure out how to type in my challenge-response codes! Got new ones when I switched machines. Guess what, it was free.

When I work in another studio, it's almost always for tracking something in which case I could care less what plugs I have! Anyways, most studios have a pretty full set of plugs anyway!

Anyway, I don't think any of us are waaaay off here as you suggest. We're simply discussing what seem to us to be better ways of authorizing plugs- such as the best idea yet, make the iLok hold a PT authorization so PT can be used without hardware for editing.

so put that in your iLok and authorize it!
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2003, 10:55 PM

Where will it go? The Apple keyboard is supposed to go straight in. The Mbox has to go straight in. That's 2, direct all gone.Mouse/trackball goes in 1 keyboard port, Midi interface in the other. Unplug Midi put in hub, now my Midi has 2 points of resistance in the line. I only use it to let PT control the drum machine. Makes me uneasy. Does dongle work off hub? And why can't you stick it in, authorize, then take it out?(like procreation [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )
80 G Seagate internal HD
60 G IBM Deskstar internal HD
40 G Buslink (Seagate)FW ext.HD