Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2023, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Waves Just went Subscription

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwolf View Post
I fall into the unfortunate category - I only own the API eqs and use them on every mix. Does this mean they won’t be updating for Apple silicon for anything other than the subscription?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a current WUP?
If so you can continue to use V14 with Apple Silicon.
I am.

After your WUP expires you won't be able to update them under the current rules.
So, let's say V15 supports the next version of Logic or Mac OS and is required by that version (so V14 won't work) then the only way to get it working will be to shift to the subscription.

You will be able to use V14 in perpetuity (and staying within a supported configuration where V14 can run).

If you do not have WUP for V14 then you are SOL.
You cannot upgrade to V14 because WUP isn't a thing anymore.
You have to go to the sub.

(IIRC V13 was the first version to support Silicon- might want to check that- but the point above remains the same. If you have WUP you can get the current latest version. If you don't then you are stuck on whatever version you last had WUP on and to get a later version than that means you must subscribe).

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 03-27-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
...WUP was $240 a year.
This new subscription is $250 a year- so no big deal really....
But James, previously we only needed to WUP when upgrading a system past what our current WAVES install would support, which in my case anyway, meant about once every three years - I guess they weren't making enough money that way, so they've gone to this. Honestly, I only occasionally use a few of their plugs, so the WUP fee every few years didn't really rankle, but I'm not sure it's worth it to me to have a fixed $240 every year - I think I'll prob'ly just stop using their plugs and if I need to occasionally resurrect an old session I'll pay the sub for that month and then cancel.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 03-27-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
But James, previously we only needed to WUP when upgrading a system past what our current WAVES install would support, which in my case anyway, meant about once every three years - I guess they weren't making enough money that way, so they've gone to this. Honestly, I only occasionally use a few of their plugs, so the WUP fee every few years didn't really rankle, but I'm not sure it's worth it to me to have a fixed $240 every year - I think I'll prob'ly just stop using their plugs and if I need to occasionally resurrect an old session I'll pay the sub for that month and then cancel.

best,
rich
I get that some people didn't WUP regularly.
Some people did.
I did, for reasons I have articulated (to get second authorisations).

We will all have our own take on this- I'm not commenting on the response of the wider audio community, just my own.

To be succinct in this, I don't like this change, I am not supporting it but if they reinstate second licenses then I will likely subscribe.

If they do not, then I will not.
I am not paying double what I was paying with WUP to get what I had (and currently have for the next 12 months).
I'll just find alternatives.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 03-27-2023, 10:18 AM

I have Mercury+Studio Classics+Abbey Roads+NX Series plus probably some others, some up to date at v14, but most out of date needing to WUP (was going to do so soon when I needed to).

I think the subscription is a great deal for new users, or users who only own a few of their plugins, but for those of us who have spent thousands of dollars through the years, this is a real FU to us… I would like to be able to continue WUPing my plugins, but if not, so be it…

I only occasionally use a few of their plugins, and will likely stop at this point unless the need arises, so for me it's goodbye to Waves…

There are many good alternatives to most of the plugins I would need.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
This ��
We only WUPed when compatibility became an issue. For larger companies that have multiple seats, buying the perpetual licenses, and only WUPing when necessary, made the most sense. For 10 seats it will now be $2500 a year? I don't generally have a problem with subscriptions in general; I understand that these companies need steady revenue streams to maintain their infrastructure. But to eliminate any possibility of updates, with zero warning or grace period, at a time when many, many users were waiting for a strategic time to make a company-wide leap to Apple Silicon, this is a clear money grab and will destroy any good will they had with existing customers.

Just wanted to mention that on the main page, if you scroll down, it mentions a subscription plan for enterprise and large scale needs, and then a contact page for more information. I guess they do this on a case by case basis. Hopefully it is cheaper than the number of seats times $250, but I don't know how it works.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Just wanted to mention that on the main page, if you scroll down, it mentions a subscription plan for enterprise and large scale needs, and then a contact page for more information. I guess they do this on a case by case basis. Hopefully it is cheaper than the number of seats times $250, but I don't know how it works.
Thanks, good to know. Based on an email from Plugin Boutique, I had a coworker purchase WUP for all of our studio accounts, so we're good there, until v14 stops working. But I was out as GDC in San Francisco and in the mayhem somehow forgot to upgrade my personal licenses.