Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-29-2013, 05:47 PM

Default Omni TRS outs

Read the manual... which is vague about when you use the trs
searched the DUC..[which should be AUC now]
I have HDN Omni
dsub 1-2 [listed as "monitor" in the I/o]out to power amp
I thought having "trs mirrors 1-2" would allow me to send the 1-2 to a headphone amp as well, from the back of the unit... makes sense
I like the headphone dual control on the omni..
I need 2 or more headPh feeds with volume...
Any ideas on how to do this?
is trs send/return or just low imp out?
what am I doing wrong?

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Omni TRS outs

You can use the TRS outputs that way, but they will still be controlled by the main volume (CR on the volume knob). So whatever you have the volume set to for your monitors (through the Dsub into your amp), the same volume and signal will be sent to the TRS outputs.

You could then boost the volume more (or lower) on the headphone amp.

This is not really an ideal way to do this. The main reason for the TRS mirroring is for someone who only needs to use two outs for stereo monitors to not have to buy a d-sub cable.

You have a couple of other options. One is to run a stereo 1/4 cable from the headphone out jack of the Omni to your headphone amp. You could then adjust the volume output to your headphone amp separately from the main CR output.

The other way is to just use a couple of the other analog outputs (3-4, 5-6, or 7-8) as normal line outputs into your headphone amp. Doing it this way, you can set up aux sends in Protools to go to those outputs.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:19 PM

thx for the reply
as it is now I have nothing coming from the trs, even tho Ive selected the TRS mirrors 1-2...
are the TRS just lo imp outs what cable should I use?
might have to reset the omni... and do the firmware..
I saw someone had this with the phanton pwr prob

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 05-31-2013, 04:29 PM

My setup might work the same for you, despite the different hardware. My 003 has 8 analog outputs and I run 1&2 to Presonus Central station, which feeds both my speakers(2 sets and a sub) and the main inputs of a 6-way headphone amp. Each of the 6 sections has an AUX input to allow another input, instead of, or mixed with, the main signal(each section has a MIX knob). I use the other outputs(3 thru 8) to feed the AUX inputs. This means each player gets the main mix, PLUS, more of whatever they need by adding sends on any/all tracks. Usually, this amounts to "more me" or the drummer getting more click. It works well with 1 caveat. Since I am feeding mostly mono sends to the AUX inputs(which are actually stereo), I had to build special cables to take balanced mono(interface outputs) and make them show up on both sides of the AUX inputs(which are UNbalanced stereo). In case anybody needs to build cables, click the link below

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...wiringcopy.jpg

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-31-2013, 04:57 PM

Just as a quick check, try using the other "mirrored" outputs (7-8 I think) and send a signal to those outputs and then to your HP amp.

That might show you where your problems are...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-05-2013, 01:50 PM

thx Bill
the 7-8 trs mirrors work... I put a click and changed the out to 7-8 and its in the hdphones
Change back to 1-2 nothing... what is the deal, avid?!?