Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-20-2011, 09:17 AM

Default Pro Tools 9.0.2 "the selectet ASIO audio device could not be initialized..."

Hi
First, i am a german user with low english knowledge... but i hope you will understand my problem and we can resolve it.

My problem is, that Pro Tools 9 can´t start and shows up everytime thise Failure: "The selectet ASIO audio device could not be initialized. Please choose another Audio device." -> and then i can choose an another driver.

I have the "Fastrack Guitar" and the "POD XT Live" as audio interface. Both work fine with my Cubase 5 Version and there are no problems with it.

But i want to use them in Pro Tools 9 too!

I am sure that i have the newest driver installed.

Pro tools will not start if i use the driver "ASIO4All" or "ASIO Podxt Live" or "ASIO Direct Full Duplex". It only start with "Fastrack".
But when i use "FastTrack" i look into Setup -> Hardware and can´t choose anything there. So i cant locate input and output for the "Fasttrack" driver.
And so i cant hear and record anything!

I also wonder, that if i select input and output in the "ASIO4All" driver as the local Soundcard and mic in the Pro Tools 9 will start!
So Pro Tools can´t start if i want to use my audio interfaces. But with local hardware is everything fine ...

I hope you understand my problem... And can help me :/
Old 05-21-2011, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9.0.2 "the selectet ASIO audio device could not be initialized..."

Did you have the hardware connected when you installed the driver?
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 05-21-2011, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9.0.2 "the selectet ASIO audio device could not be initialized..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBannah View Post
Did you have the hardware connected when you installed the driver?
Simple English:

Turn off all hardware. Turn off Fast Track, Pod.
Reboot pc.
Install Pro Tools.
Install driver.
Reboot pc.
Turn on hardware.
Run Pro Tools.

Trying to help,
Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 05-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
Simple English:

Reboot pc.
Install Pro Tools.
Install driver.
Reboot pc.
Turn on hardware.
Run Pro Tools.

Trying to help,
Mike.
Maybe he had done these, that's why I asked.
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 05-21-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
Simple English:

Reboot pc.
Install Pro Tools.
Install driver.
Reboot pc.
Turn on hardware.
Run Pro Tools.

Trying to help,
Mike.
No...

You should install the driver first, then install Pro Tools.

And if the computer was turned on with the hardware connected before the driver was installed, it is necessary to uninstall Pro Tools and the hardware driver and start over.

See my Post #15 on this thread:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...=1#post1792191
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-21-2011, 11:33 AM

I'm modest. I'll try again.

Unplug all hardware.
Reboot pc.
Install driver.
Install Pro Tools.
...Re-Install driver. (I do this).
Shutdown.
Boot pc.
Plug in hardware.
Run Pro Tools.

I always reinstall hardware driver last, its just me.
Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 05-21-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
And if the computer was turned on with the hardware connected before the driver was installed, it is necessary to uninstall Pro Tools and the hardware driver and start over.
^^agree

Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 05-21-2011, 11:47 AM

@GT Nothing wrong. I'm a bit of a translator, so can't help but apply what I learned. Regards,
Mike.

Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 AM

Thanks for you help.

I have done everything what MikeLIp said
also

Reboot pc.
Install Pro Tools.
Install driver.
Reboot pc.
Turn on hardware.
Run Pro Tools.

BUT ... First i couldnt start PT cause of a new failure:!
"A required DLL file, CFnD.dll, was not found"

But i was able to fix that.
But now i have the same problems as before. PT will not start if i want to use a driver for my audio interfaces.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:25 AM

I know I'm late in the party, but the very first thing you should've tried is to start pro tools with the playback engine dialogue. To do this:
Start pro tools as usual, and when the splash screen shows up, hit n hold "n" key, until the playback engine dialouge appears on the screen, choose a proper playback device.

It might not the solution to your problem, but there are times when pro tools accidently try to initiate a playback device that has no proper driver.
Hope this still helps you.