Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 09:48 AM

Default Delay Compensation Time Mode in 7.2

I don't know if this is new to 7.2 or has been an issue for a while...

I changed the Delay Compensation Time Mode in my preferences to 'samples", but in my I/O, I still only get to see ms. What's the deal? This is useless for doing hardware inserts with ADC.

Also, I'm using 2 Rosetta 800s and Apogee says that the compensation is 25 samples less than the default for the 192, but when I tested it by recording out and back in through a hardware insert (with NO outboard gear in the path) I get 77 samples every time, which is 16 samples difference. Can someone help me with this? This sucks!!!

Old 09-05-2006, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Delay Compensation Time Mode in 7.2

I posted some findings (you should be able to track down based on my profile) encountering a similar problem I had with my AD8K.

I was able to calculate a ms amount that made it manageable, which seemed really, really close. But for things like parallel compression with outboard (or other phase-critical tasks), I now defer to using the 96 i/o so that it is dead-on.

Hope that helps,

- proxy
Old 09-05-2006, 04:07 PM

I switched to all Digi 192 hardware clocked by an Apogee Big Ben...you can't tell the difference. I actually went to a "shoot out" at a local studio here in NYC; and when clocked by the Big Ben, you can not tell the difference *at all* between the Apogee AD & DA 16x's and the 192 IO's.

The whoe business of manually entering in the delay gets to be a real pain, especially when your working on sessions with different sample rates....remember when using non-Digi hardware you have to manually enter different delay numbers with different sample rates. Sometimes I am going between 44.1k, 48k, and 88.2 many times in the same day; this was too much to keep track of. The 192's always work perfectly.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:31 AM

Quote:
I actually went to a "shoot out" at a local studio here in NYC; and when clocked by the Big Ben, you can not tell the difference *at all* between the Apogee AD & DA 16x's and the 192 IO's.
FWIW there's a significant sonic difference when I play back the same 24-bit, 96k mix through a Digidesign 192 I/O vs. an Apogee Rosetta 800/192, each clocked by the same Big Ben. It should be noted that the Rosetta 800 is playing the mix from Logic, whereas the 192s play back from Pro Tools. The mix files are identical, so I wonder whether the difference is due to the converters or the software.

System info: PT Ultimate 2019.6 HDX, Mac Pro 5,1 Westmere, OS 10.13.3, UAD2 Octo PCIe, 2x Lynx Aurora16 w LTHD cards, 1x Lynx Aurora(n) 32 ch analog I/O DigiLink, 4x Dangerous Convert-8 (AES via Lynx), Dangerous Convert-2 (AES via Lynx), Dangerous Vonvert AD+, Apogee Big Ben, SSD boot drive, external FW800 audio drives