Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2022, 10:17 AM

Default Artist Control Just Broke

I was mixing with my artist mix and artist control. The artist control screen just went blank, the faders all popped to the max level, and then a electrical burnt smell was obvious. I turned it off, unplugged. (No smoke) Waited then tried to turn on, which it did, the faders buttons light and the stop button, but the screen is blank.

What would be a good starting point? Should I send it in for repair or is this the end of life for this one?

The artist mix appears fine, which is good.

Last edited by jphaudio; 03-22-2022 at 10:18 AM. Reason: double checking alerts
Old 03-23-2022, 07:59 AM
Avid

Default Re: Artist Control Just Broke

Is the smell coming from near where the power goes in. There a component there that sometimes burns out. There are threads on here somewhere how to fix it if its that.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:12 AM

Eddie, respectfully…

If I remember correctly when mine went, the WHOLE unit would not power up, not just the screen. Stone dead.

OP, if it’s the choke Eddie is referring to, depending on how badly it sparked it, it’s an easy replacement. Except for the dismantling of the casing because there’s some thin metal shielding under there, with fingers/tabs that surround the display. I vaguely remember there are some finicky bits in the fader section as well all part of opening it up. Right by the power barre connector on the back, right by the PCB mount, you’d look for a part or a scorch mark where the part used to be.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:19 AM

Thank you..! Yes, the smell was from the far right area. That is the best news I had gotten. I will look for the posts on how to fix this. I am hoping to use the artist series for awhile. Appreciate your time and info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Is the smell coming from near where the power goes in. There a component there that sometimes burns out. There are threads on here somewhere how to fix it if its that.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:21 AM

Thank you. I will start working on this and look for the part. It's good news to hear that you hopefully were able to fix your artist controller. Thank you again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
Eddie, respectfully…

If I remember correctly when mine went, the WHOLE unit would not power up, not just the screen. Stone dead.

OP, if it’s the choke Eddie is referring to, depending on how badly it sparked it, it’s an easy replacement. Except for the dismantling of the casing because there’s some thin metal shielding under there, with fingers/tabs that surround the display. I vaguely remember there are some finicky bits in the fader section as well all part of opening it up. Right by the power barre connector on the back, right by the PCB mount, you’d look for a part or a scorch mark where the part used to be.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:23 PM

Just a quick follow up. I found the info on the forum including the current link to purchase the .86 cent replacement part. I finally opted to send it into an avid repair shop https://advancedmusical.com/

They were very helpful. They will not charge a fee to examine the control, and will advise the repair cost. They advised they are very familiar with the artist series. The artist mix in covered for repairs through avid intil 2024 but the control ended in 2021.

Thanks for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
Eddie, respectfully…

Old 04-16-2022, 04:48 PM

Just a quick follow up. I sent my avid control the advanced electronics (link in posts) They did a great job fixing it. Cost about 150. Thanks for your help here in the forum.
Old 04-19-2022, 05:54 PM

I've done this same procedure with multiple Artist Series controllers with AM. They're great! Also did D-Command power supply swaps with them. Glad you went there!

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 04-19-2022, 07:28 PM

Awesome, great to hear. I will definitely keep them as my go to for repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
I've done this same procedure with multiple Artist Series controllers with AM. They're great! Also did D-Command power supply swaps with them. Glad you went there!