Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-05-2016, 04:44 AM

Default Leaving AVID hardware for Universal Audio Apollo

Does anyone have an opinion on the how well or not Pro Tools works with Universal Audio hardware like the Apollo 16?

Whats the difference between using Apollo 16 and Avid TDM/HDX hardware?

My creativity can't handle the DAE and other errors anymore

Thanks in advance.

PT10HD on HD Native PCI
192 I/O
Windows 7

Reason 9.5 / Pro Tools 10.3.7
SPL Crimson
Old 05-05-2016, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Leaving AVID hardware for Universal Audio Apollo

That's at the very top of my GAS list! (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
Everything I've read says it works splendidly, and sounds fantastic. My Sweetwater rep refers to Avid AD converters as "meh."
Old 05-05-2016, 08:24 AM

I wouldn't say Avid converters are "meh". I'd suggest you take the time to actually listen and compare a few converters.

I do have a few issues with Avid converters - fan noise for one. Can only be used with HD computer interface for two. Big for three.

The Apollo interface with TB should work just fine. The plugs are great sounding, but you won't get many instances with a Quad, and the plug-in delays can be a pain. I own an Apollo Twin and the converters are acceptable but not what I would call inspiring. I suspect the new Apollos will sound better than the Twin.

I'm getting very interested in the new Focusrite interface (Red 4??) which will have TB, Dante and HD connectivity.

Best...H

Last edited by Logichead; 05-05-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:14 AM

"I wouldn't say Avid converters are "meh". I'd suggest you take the time to actually listen and compare a few converters."

Thanks....but with all due respect, I DO listen to them, 8-10 hours a day, and compared to what I'm hearing out of a friend's Apollo, they are indeed just okay. But for now they get the job done.

Last edited by sw rec; 05-05-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
"I wouldn't say Avid converters are "meh". I'd suggest you take the time to actually listen and compare a few converters."

Thanks...I listen to them 8-10 hours a day, and compared to what I'm hearing out of a friend's Apollo, they are indeed just okay. But for now they get the job done.
Which ones are you comparing by chance??

I have multiple converters around here including a HD I/O and have a new Clarett here and had a new Apollo Twin recently and owned an Aurora and other RME stuff. I will still take the HD I/O any day of the week over them. The mid range specifically and lack of "hype" is why I always come back to it. Of course environments and other factors can affect this.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Development Partner

I've got a few Apollos. I've got a Blackface Apollo 16 (Thunderbolt) on my main Mac. Older silver face 16 on my Windows test machine (Firewire). I also have an 8P in my location recording setup (Thunderbolt again).

They all sound quite clean and provide very good value and low latency with Thunderbolt. As far as I/O, they provide some of the best available options. Past that, it's a bit hard to compare them to HDX: it's really apples and oranges. Both HDX and UAD plugins live in proprietary worlds and don't really quite line up. But for a pure native system (which is of course what I use), UAD is really worth your consideration.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:50 AM

003 console here. Again, they do the job, but I'm sure there's something better...
Old 05-05-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
003 console here. Again, they do the job, but I'm sure there's something better...
Gotcha.
Comparing the 003 to any of the HD line interfaces is a night and day difference. I have a 002 and 003 here and had a 002 also BLA modded back when they first offered it and did not have different options to choose from. Bought that 002 the weekend they were released in 2003 or so. So I am quite familiar with them as well But I could very well see preferring the new UAD converters over the 003, as I prefer them in this scenario as well as its not really close!!!

I would have to spend some more critical listening to say it 100%, but in my initial listening, I prefer the Clarett over the UAD Apollo Twin. I am hoping they get the TB drivers for Windows released sooner than later. Its been on their website as in progress for awhile. IMHO!!!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-05-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
had a 002 also BLA modded back when they first offered it and did not have different options to choose from. Bought that 002 the weekend they were released in 2003 or so.
Same here, and I'm still rocking mine! Working in PT 12.1 on OSX 10.8.5 like a champ! Love the control surface, can't give it up.

A good friend of mine is upgrading his system shortly to use with Pro Tools on Mac, and I could hardly argue against going with the Apollo 16. On Thunderbolt, it seems like a winner.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:26 AM

Red 4Pre on its way here... will be trying it out on HDX, SoundGrid and Native... Have heard nothing but good things about Apollo but don't own a single UA plugin so hesitant to go down that road. Also hate seperate monitor mixers...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html