Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-31-2023, 02:58 PM

Default Logic Pro with HDX - Latency Issue

Hey guys,

pardon me if there's some info on this, but I haven't managed to find it so far:

We're running PT with HDX and S6 in the main room. Logic Pro in another room. Some time ago we started to also run Logic in the main room and ran into two problems:
If using HDX as playback engine in PT everything works fine. Once we go with it in Logic, we get audible latency when monitoring during recording. Ok-ish for demo guitars or Vox, but as soon as you want to go for percussive things, it's too much. It's independent from buffer size etc. I know Logic cannot access the HDX DSPs, but is there any way to make this work? If we patch in the Mac Pro via Dante/DX32 and run Logic in Low Latency Mode it's way better. Using HDX is much more stable though and though preferred.

We run 6,1 Mac Pros with Mojave and latest versions of PT, Eucon/Drivers and Logic.

Thanks so much already,
best,
Julian

Last edited by JCollet; 02-01-2023 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Logic Pro with HDX - Latency Issue

Wondering if this could help:

Connecting DAWs Like Pro Tools and Logic Pro Together With Connector
https://youtu.be/br7te9hzcVs

"Blue Cat's Connector is an audio & MIDI streaming plug-in that can be used to transmit audio and MIDI signals in real time between several computers or applications, or create your own routings within a single application, with minimal latency"

Demo version available:
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Product...uct_Connector/
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 01-31-2023, 03:33 PM

Unfortunately it is the downside of Avid Coreaudio drivers for HDX. Pro Tools doesn't use them, but third party DAWs and MacOS does. They have something like a minimum latency of ~17ms @ 44.1kHz... which is pretty awful.

Dante and DVS would be one work around. I tossed an RME HDSPe Madi card into my system to get around it, and just connected it to my DX32 as an additional monitor source.

Regarding Logic and the S6, I haven't used it in a few years but it was buggy as hell when I did. I suspect it probably falls at the feet of Apple to sort out.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:13 AM

Thank you guys! So, having the latency in the core audio driver is a bummer for sure... I just read from somebody saying that it is changeable in Audio-Midi Setup, I'll try that later when I'm in the studio and will let you know if it worked.

Big ups to you for your help so far!

Cheers,
Julian
Old 02-01-2023, 01:35 AM

It highly irritating and even the workarounds are cludgy.
Here is what I have tried.

1. Dante Virtual Soundcard. Fine to a point but high latency and when you change sample rate you have to piss about in Dante Controller AND Dadman AND Audio Midi.

2. Using another Dante audio card/interface. (Currently a Rednet PCIEr card) Better for latency but working in different sample rates is still irritating- still have to change sample rate in multiple places. it is great that all my inputs can have parity in PT and Logic/Nuendo etc, but that is more to do with Dante than Avid.

3. Keep the MTRX at a fixed sample rate and use a separate audio interface, running them in parallel. (Currently a UA Apollo X8). Works great for low latency and different samples rates IF your MTRX supports on the fly SR conversion (mine does, but that card is £2k). I also don't have the sort of input routing that I get in option 2.

I currently use option 2 and 3.
This means I have 3 audio interfaces connected to my Mac Pro.
I know, it is silly but there isn't another way around this problem currently, for me.

All of this would be unnecessary if Avid would write a core audio driver that had latency in the region of a USB audio card from 5 years ago.
But... no, that isn't apparently possible.

So my 2023 solution is to run HDX on one computer (2019 Mac Pro) and have a separate native rig (currently Red 16 Line, soon to be DAD AX64).

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 02-01-2023, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
It highly irritating and even the workarounds are cludgy.
Here is what I have tried.

1. Dante Virtual Soundcard. Fine to a point but high latency and when you change sample rate you have to piss about in Dante Controller AND Dadman AND Audio Midi.

2. Using another Dante audio card/interface. (Currently a Rednet PCIEr card) Better for latency but working in different sample rates is still irritating- still have to change sample rate in multiple places. it is great that all my inputs can have parity in PT and Logic/Nuendo etc, but that is more to do with Dante than Avid.

3. Keep the MTRX at a fixed sample rate and use a separate audio interface, running them in parallel. (Currently a UA Apollo X8). Works great for low latency and different samples rates IF your MTRX supports on the fly SR conversion (mine does, but that card is £2k). I also don't have the sort of input routing that I get in option 2.

I currently use option 2 and 3.
This means I have 3 audio interfaces connected to my Mac Pro.
I know, it is silly but there isn't another way around this problem currently, for me.

All of this would be unnecessary if Avid would write a core audio driver that had latency in the region of a USB audio card from 5 years ago.
But... no, that isn't apparently possible.

So my 2023 solution is to run HDX on one computer (2019 Mac Pro) and have a separate native rig (currently Red 16 Line, soon to be DAD AX64).

On a random side note, did you ever find a solution to running your Trinnov at higher sample rates with the MTRX?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:53 AM

Alright, so rumors were right. If you just go into Audio-Midi-Setup, right click on HDX then "configure device" (not "configure speakers"). Voila a Pro Tools lookalike window opens that lets you select the buffer size which is by default set to 256. So adding up with the one of Logic.
I set it to 32 and voila PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks for your ideas all! Really like the way with the additional MADI card into the DX32 aswell.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:55 AM

EDIT: I deleted the S6 part and will post it into the right forum again, thanks!
Old 02-17-2024, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCollet View Post
Alright, so rumors were right. If you just go into Audio-Midi-Setup, right click on HDX then "configure device" (not "configure speakers"). Voila a Pro Tools lookalike window opens that lets you select the buffer size which is by default set to 256. So adding up with the one of Logic.
I set it to 32 and voila PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks for your ideas all! Really like the way with the additional MADI card into the DX32 aswell.
May I ask what the HDX core audio latency through Logic is at 32 buffer?
Old 02-18-2024, 01:23 AM

I actually went measuring latency with both buffer settings set to 32 samples. This gave me 3.7ms roundtrip latency, measured, not calculated. Pretty much enough for 90% of what I do.
Stability is awful though. Working fine for hours on one day or not even for 10 seconds on most other days.