Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2023, 07:56 PM

Default 2nd Machine as recorder / dubber via Dante

I am looking at upgrading a Mac Pro Trashcan when the new Mac Studio comes out, but want to hang on to the trashcan for anything non Apple Silicon we may need to go back to.
Mac Studio will run on an HD Native TB - MTRX Studio, and am thinking about putting an RME Digiface Dante on the Trashcan, hoping I could use it as a dubber / extra machine when required.
Question is, is word clock from the MTRX, with Satellite enough to guarantee sync, or am I entering into a world of needing a SYNC HD / SYNC X?
Old 01-22-2023, 08:18 AM
Avid

Default Re: 2nd Machine as recorder / dubber via Dante

What is your specific use case? Is there video anywhere in the process? Are you simply wanting to re-record stems or pre-dubs?

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-22-2023, 08:37 AM

I believe the only way Satellite is sample accurate is with a Sync peripheral. Without, it's good for chasing but not punching in.
Old 01-22-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
What is your specific use case? Is there video anywhere in the process? Are you simply wanting to re-record stems or pre-dubs?

Jeff
Thanks for the reply. Yes to video. Running via Video Sync or ADR Master, also via Satellite. Would ideally use it to print stems + mixes, or occasionally offload extra tracks on to.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:53 PM
Avid

Yes, this is correct. A SYNC peripheral is highly recommended if you will be using this workstation for re-recording.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I believe the only way Satellite is sample accurate is with a Sync peripheral. Without, it's good for chasing but not punching in.
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-23-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Yes, this is correct. A SYNC peripheral is highly recommended if you will be using this workstation for re-recording.

Jeff

Good to know. May I ask why this is the case? If I'm only running two devices - Avid MTRX Studio as the master clock, and in this case an RME Digiface Dante receiving Word Clock in from the the MTRX, what is the difference here in adding a Sync peripheral in the middle? So the two are receiving an identical clock source from an "independent" source?
Old 01-24-2023, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmillaudio View Post
Good to know. May I ask why this is the case? If I'm only running two devices - Avid MTRX Studio as the master clock, and in this case an RME Digiface Dante receiving Word Clock in from the the MTRX, what is the difference here in adding a Sync peripheral in the middle? So the two are receiving an identical clock source from an "independent" source?
Because Avid are lazy and haven't bothered changing how they do stuff in the last 20 years... basically.

To achieve sample accurate sync you need a 'sample clock' of some kind. Like a word clock with added positional reference so that each DAW knows exactly where on the timeline that sample belongs. Punch in on one machine, and the second machine punches in at exactly the same sample. Or "near sample", as Avid called it. Word clock alone only synchronizes sample rates. It doesn't synchronize samples.

Nuendo basically does it in exactly the way you are suggesting, using VST system link. It lets you send the 'sample clock' between systems using a spare digital audio I/O on your interface. You can chain synchronize a whole bunch of systems using nothing but ADAT or AES or MADI, etc. ASIO position protocol goes one step further and incorporates it directly into a bunch of ASIO audio interfaces like those by RME or Lynx.

As of this year, the only way you can do it in Pro Tools is by purchasing a $5000 HDX card and a $4000 Sync X per system... because that is how Avid say you must do it.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.