Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 04:01 PM

Default Cannot update Dock Firmware

Hello,

I just received my Dock today and have spent the entire afternoon trying to troubleshoot and figure out why the Dock will not take a FW update. I'm running a mac mini with Catalina OS. I have an S1 controller and tablet that are running fine. When I use Eucon app (current) settings it detects the dock in left pane but when i move over to my surfaces (and i see its claimed by my mac mini) it keeps showing 'update' required. I follow prompts. progress bar shoots very fast all the way and dialogue box says to power on/off unit. It reappears with the same prompt to update Firmware. Its an endless cycle.

Can anyone throw me a bone here?! i'd be very very grateful.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Cannot update Dock Firmware?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bulldops View Post
Hello,

I just received my Dock today and have spent the entire afternoon trying to troubleshoot and figure out why the Dock will not take a FW update. I'm running a mac mini with Catalina OS. I have an S1 controller and tablet that are running fine. When I use Eucon app (current) settings it detects the dock in left pane but when i move over to my surfaces (and i see its claimed by my mac mini) it keeps showing 'update' required. I follow prompts. progress bar shoots very fast all the way and dialogue box says to power on/off unit. It reappears with the same prompt to update Firmware. Its an endless cycle.

Can anyone throw me a bone here?! i'd be very very grateful.
A couple of suggestions.

Are you on the latest version of Eucontrol? If not, download and install.
Be sure to uninstall the current version before installing the new version.

Before the S1 and tablet get loaded into My Surfaces. Power them off and only have Dock be recognized. Then click on and update the firmware.

Additionally, how do you have the Dock connected? Router? Switch?

Try those few things and report back. There might be others on here that might have some other options.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
A couple of suggestions.

Are you on the latest version of Eucontrol? If not, download and install.
Be sure to uninstall the current version before installing the new version.

Before the S1 and tablet get loaded into My Surfaces. Power them off and only have Dock be recognized. Then click on and update the firmware.

Additionally, how do you have the Dock connected? Router? Switch?

Try those few things and report back. There might be others on here that might have some other options.
I have uninstalled Eucon and installed newest version.
Both the S1 and Dock are connected into an ethernet switch where my mac is also connected to. My router feeds into the ethernet switch. Eucon sees the Dock and S1 and tablets.
I have tried only having the Dock powered on while doing update and it does not take. Once I click 'update firmware' in the dialogue box , the progress bar goes full in 1-2 seconds. I don't know if that's typical. Dock's version is 1.1.18.0 and dialogue window shows the upgrade would go to 21.8.1.0.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:25 AM

Have you tired bypassing the switch so the dock is connected directly to the computer?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-07-2022, 08:28 AM

I was thinking about that this morning. So connect the crossover(rj45) cable from Dock direct to my mac ethernet port yes? I was thinking of trying this today to see if it makes a difference. I wonder if just the firmware not taking properly through the switch? oddly when I fire up my DAW (cubase) the dock does function somewhat , so it is recognized.

Last edited by Mr. Bulldops; 01-07-2022 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:31 PM

Do not use a "crossover" ethernet cable.
Use a standard ethernet cable.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Do not use a "crossover" ethernet cable.
Use a standard ethernet cable.
That's what they included in the box...so no?
Well I'm getting to my wits end here. I have tried connecting the Dock directly to my mac via usb/ethernet adapter; ethernet from dock direct into mac ethernet port - i've tried more than one ethernet cable to rule out a bad one. Every which way from sunday I have connected the dock and it just will not update firmware. I'm thinking that either Eucon software is glitchy and not pushing FW through properly or maybe I just got a lemon dock?....not sure any other way I can try it here. Feeling very frustrated

Last edited by Mr. Bulldops; 01-07-2022 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:53 AM

little update: Tried using previous Eucon versions to see if that made any difference. On a version from 2019 it behaved differently in that it would not keep 'forcing' to update FW. It would not show (update fw) beside the dock in my surface column; yet when I'd try to update FW I kept getting the same result. nothing. I have given up on this unit and have already talked to my local shop for a return and they are bringing in another unit as this one seems to be defective. Quite the let down after waiting weeks for it to come in and have spent countless hours in the last few days trying to just get it to work out of the box. No Avid phone numbers that you can call that don't require paid subscription? just for minimal support?
Old 01-28-2022, 04:06 PM

so after ordering a new unit through my local shop and Fedex sitting on it in the same location for nearly 2 weeks, I finally got my hands on the new unit today. Same issue? it will not update FW. I'm guessing Eucon and Mac/my system just don't want to be friends. I'm beyond frustrated here. Im beginning to think Avid ecosystem isnt for me for all this trouble. I want it to perform its simple action of taking the FW ; if anyone knows an answer or can point me somewhere please please do. I've scoured online and cannot find any answers. It can't possibly be this complicated to get a dock to work on my mac? I'm generally quite tech savvy but this is ridiculous.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:39 PM

I'm having the exact same issue. I'm running a high powered Windows 10 system. I have the Control app and the Dock connected and everything seems to be working, but EuCon Control is telling me I need to update the firmware. I've tried numerous times. I'm a network engineer, so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. EuCon Control does not seem to be downloading the update file. When I click on firmware update, it tells me it's done in about 3 seconds. I cannot find any help online.
Closed Thread