Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2017, 03:21 PM

Default inconsistent behaviour solo/mute on hidden tracks

Hidden tracks loose their solo status as soon as they are hidden, but will maintain their mute status even when hidden.

Most of the time I’m on a Icon or S6, and in this case the solo status is maintained on hidden tracks, but when working in PT without these surfaces, solo and mute behaviour is inconsistent. This is unfortunate as I often hide my VCA’s when working on specific element but still need the VCA’s to retain their solo status.

This seems like a bug rather than a feature, has anybody else experienced this?
I’ve seen this behaviour on every PT 12 system I’ve worked on, but can’t remember if this was the case in earlier versions.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:34 PM

Default Re: inconsistent behaviour solo/mute on hidden tracks

Is this not an issue for anybody else?

If this behaviour is by design, it is IMHO an inconsistent design, especially as the way this works changes when using PT with D-Control/Command or S6. I know that some other changes occur as well depending on the capabilities of the controller, you can for example include hidden tracks in layouts on the S6 but not on S3/Artist but this seems like a more basic issue to me

I think that this should be a pref, for example "hidden tracks cancel solo"
Old 01-07-2018, 10:09 AM

This is annoying me greatly too.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by espron View Post
Hidden tracks loose their solo status as soon as they are hidden, but will maintain their mute status even when hidden.

Most of the time I’m on a Icon or S6, and in this case the solo status is maintained on hidden tracks, but when working in PT without these surfaces, solo and mute behaviour is inconsistent. This is unfortunate as I often hide my VCA’s when working on specific element but still need the VCA’s to retain their solo status.

This seems like a bug rather than a feature, has anybody else experienced this?
I’ve seen this behaviour on every PT 12 system I’ve worked on, but can’t remember if this was the case in earlier versions.

Hi! Did you ever find a solution or workaround for this? I'm experiencing something similar though in a simpler scenario. If I make an audio track (with solo and mute buttons ON) inactive, hidden, or even hidden and inactive (that 2-in1 function) and then reactivate that track again, the mute button's on status is preserved, but the solo button's ON status is not (no longer yellow). It might just be me, but I don't recall this ever happening before?

I hope someone can help figure this out.

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2023, 08:50 AM

It's designed this way, and has operated this way as far back as I can recall - if there was a release that didn't work like this it was probably an oversight/bug. Hidden tracks in solo sounds like a nightmare to me.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-23-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
It's designed this way, and has operated this way as far back as I can recall - if there was a release that didn't work like this it was probably an oversight/bug. Hidden tracks in solo sounds like a nightmare to me.

Thanks for your reply, Rich! I'm not too sure myself. For the longest time, I was on PT 10 and only transitioned to Pro Tool Studio last year or so but never really got to do much work in PT till this year.

To be honest, the reason I asked about this is because the enabled solo button helps me remember that that previously hidden and/or made inactive track is part of a sub-group that I need on a sort of ready-and-standing-by mode, that it is still very much a to-be-considered option. Having a reactivated ("make active" again) track without a previously enabled solo button showing up as enabled again might make me forget and ignore the track completely in a session populated by lots of tracks. Apologies as I admit I have an odd way of handling sessions and have yet to figure out how to be more practical.

Maybe indeed this was the way it's always been and my memory is just failing me. Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts!