Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 08-01-2014, 11:16 AM

Default Help Needed - restoring tracks

I have a session where I apparently failed to save the session after recording a vocal track with a number of punch-ins. I have all of the vocal clips which I can import, but I have lost the time reference for where each clip belongs (Together they should all compile just one vocal track).

I have a "master take" which ends about halfway through. then I have about 8 punch-ins. I can see how long they are in the "import audio" box, and I can hear them as individual tracks. But when I import them they all start at 0:00, and I do not know a way to automatically put them back into the session at the time regions where they were originally recorded and belong.

I would think and hope ProTools knows where in the song each clip belongs, but I do not see that information anyplace.

Is there a way to reconstruct this complete vocal track, with punch-ins, without having to do it by ear?

Thank you for any help.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Help Needed - restoring tracks

Hopefully, you have auto backup on. go into the directory where your session file is stored. There should be a folder called Session File Backups. Try to remember the time when you were making your last edits. If you've been working for a long time trying to revive your session. That gets backed up too. You need to select the file and use view details on Windows so it lists the exact time when the file was created. On a mac, just select with the default multipanel or right click and use Quick look for the info. Good Luck.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:55 PM

I did find a session backup, but it is the same as the PTX session file I have saved from that day - and that is the only one I have. I have the all the files but I thought there would be some kind of marker to tell me where in the session grid (time line) it was recorded, but I don't see that anywhere.

It does seem like there should be many more session backups from the night we were doing the recording but I only see the one.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:09 PM

What about using SPOT mode and pasting to each clip's original location?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-01-2014, 04:18 PM

Hey Albee - can you please give me a quick run down of how to do that?

You put the PT in Spot and just drag different parts into what seems to make sense? Right?

I don;t know what happened, but that sounds logical. I think I might have accidentally deleted everything in that one track when I went to consolidate it to transfer it to another guy to mix - so I still have all the clips, but that track itself (the highest numbered clip for that vocal) is one big empty file (it is there, but there are no waveforms in it).