Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2021

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 09-14-2021, 12:19 PM
K Roche's Avatar
K Roche K Roche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wilds of Wyoming
Posts: 1,481
Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lyon View Post
I'm not clear on any of this.

My perpetual license (PT Ultimate) comes up for renewal 10/3/21

If I renew at the $299 promo price does that mean when 10/3/22 rolls around I am "stuck" with a subscription pricing if I want to renew?
I would assume (do not know for certain) that if you opt for this promo, you are opting into subscription only from that point forward , so yes after the first year you would be paying the regular subscription renewal price of $399 which is the same as as renewing a perpetual.

I know someone suggested renewing an ultimate subscription after the promo year would be $799,,, but I believe that is the price for a new customer to initially get into PT Ultimate subscription . On My account page (and prior to this promo) it has for a while had the option to "move to subscription" for an annual subscription renewal price of $399,,, so I believe that is the regular subscription renewal price.

I think as others have said It seems to me this promo is Avid trying to entice people with expired perpetual licenses, to annual renewal ..

With all that said I agree with JFreak's post # 31 top of previous page , and will simply just keep renewing my current perpetual.
__________________
System :
Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2021.6 .....Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen processor,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory,,2TB SSD storage,,Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory,, on Catalina 10.15.7

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-14-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-14-2021, 09:24 PM
Ray Lyon Ray Lyon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 744
Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
With all that said I agree with JFreak's post # 31 top of previous page , and will simply just keep renewing my current perpetual.

Agreed, but the price is $299 all the same right? Or is there some other place at avid.com where I pay $399 for perpetual as before?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-15-2021, 05:08 AM
Cowboy Bob's Avatar
Cowboy Bob Cowboy Bob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 411
Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post

I think as others have said It seems to me this promo is Avid trying to entice people with expired perpetual licenses, to annual renewal ..

With all that said I agree with JFreak's post # 31 top of previous page , and will simply just keep renewing my current perpetual.
Same here. I just got the Ultimate license, so will likely let my Standard support plan lapse. I am a one man studio, and don't need it.

What I want from the "bundle" I already have a perpetual license for, will buy in the future, or will get with the Complete plugin sub, (I do like the way SMACK, and the Pro Mulit-band compressor work for me, and I bought HEAT as soon as it was enabled on PT Standard)
__________________

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2021.7)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (current version)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Catalina |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-15-2021, 06:20 AM
K Roche's Avatar
K Roche K Roche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wilds of Wyoming
Posts: 1,481
Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lyon View Post
Agreed, but the price is $299 all the same right? Or is there some other place at avid.com where I pay $399 for perpetual as before?
.



I don't understand what you mean by (but the price is $299 all the same right" ) ? The price is $299 ONLY for the first year of moving (switching) to subscription ,,,, it's not $299 for renewing your perpetual Ultimate upgrade/support plan .

The Price to renew the upgrade/support plan for a current perpetual Ultimate license is $399. and you can find it on your Avid --My Account page > "My Products" > "View My Products " > "ProTools Ultimate" in the top right of the page, it should have an option to renew your current update for 1 year for $399
__________________
System :
Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2021.6 .....Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen processor,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory,,2TB SSD storage,,Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory,, on Catalina 10.15.7

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-15-2021, 08:16 AM
Ray Lyon Ray Lyon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Waynesville, NC
Posts: 744
Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post

I don't understand what you mean by (but the price is $299 all the same right" ) ? The price is $299 ONLY for the first year of moving (switching) to subscription ,,,, it's not $299 for renewing your perpetual Ultimate upgrade/support plan .

The Price to renew the upgrade/support plan for a current perpetual Ultimate license is $399. and you can find it on your Avid --My Account page > "My Products" > "View My Products " > "ProTools Ultimate" in the top right of the page, it should have an option to renew your current update for 1 year for $399

Hi, thanks for the clarification... I think you set me straight.

The way I understand it is this:

1) Go to "My special offers" and get 1 yr subscription (with Inner Circle, HEAT and all the other stuff) for $299. Then, one year later I will have to pay $799 for the subscription renewal but if I choose not to, my perpetual license will still work but with no software update path.

-- OR --

2) Go to (as you said) My Account page > "My Products" > "View My Products " > "ProTools Ultimate" in the top right of the page... pay $399 for perpetual renewal and you're done for the year, just like last year.

Kind of "bait and switch" to me... however, they do spell it out if you look hard enough for it.

All PT Ultimate perpetual users should educate themselves before renewing this year!

Last edited by Ray Lyon; 09-15-2021 at 08:17 AM. Reason: clean up
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-15-2021, 09:00 AM
sdelsolray sdelsolray is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 175
Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
Pretty valid point.
Especially with the new release of Studio One 5.4, which is an Apple Silicon M1 full native app now. Much more viable option, than PT as it stands at the moment, for people with newer Macs.
Avid lacks behind as always ....


Cheers!
Yes, Studio One ver 5.4 is fully native on Apple Silicon. However, unless all of the plugins or instruments you might be using (or wanting to use) with particular songs and projects must also be native Apple Silicon. If not, you must run Studio One 5.4 in Rosetta 2 emulation mode. Indeed, if you start up Studio One 5.4 in Apple Silicon native mode, all non-native plugins and instruments will not even load into the Studio One ecosphere.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-15-2021, 04:48 PM
RobertDorn RobertDorn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 185
Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lyon View Post
Hi, thanks for the clarification... I think you set me straight.

The way I understand it is this:

1) Go to "My special offers" and get 1 yr subscription (with Inner Circle, HEAT and all the other stuff) for $299. Then, one year later I will have to pay $799 for the subscription renewal but if I choose not to, my perpetual license will still work but with no software update path.

-- OR --

2) Go to (as you said) My Account page > "My Products" > "View My Products " > "ProTools Ultimate" in the top right of the page... pay $399 for perpetual renewal and you're done for the year, just like last year.

Kind of "bait and switch" to me... however, they do spell it out if you look hard enough for it.

All PT Ultimate perpetual users should educate themselves before renewing this year!
Yes, this! Moreover, those 'inner circle plugins' aren't that expensive to buy outright, and some of those plugins aren't really included but more like a trial version. You'll still save if you just keep your current support plan.

I'm not saying I don't want Pro Tools Ultimate as a subscription instead of a perpetual license + support plan, $799 annually versus $399 is just like a crazy price difference of 100 (one hundred) %.
__________________
Apple iMac Pro 10-core 3GHz | 128GB ram | macOS 11.5.2 | Universal Audio Apollo X16, X8P, X4 & 2 Octo Sattelites | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-16-2021, 06:47 AM
K Roche's Avatar
K Roche K Roche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wilds of Wyoming
Posts: 1,481
Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lyon View Post
Hi, thanks for the clarification... I think you set me straight.

The way I understand it is this:

1) Go to "My special offers" and get 1 yr subscription (with Inner Circle, HEAT and all the other stuff) for $299. Then, one year later I will have to pay $799 for the subscription renewal but if I choose not to, my perpetual license will still work but with no software update path.


2) Go to (as you said) My Account page > "My Products" > "View My Products " > "ProTools Ultimate" in the top right of the page... pay $399 for perpetual renewal and you're done for the year, just like last year.

Kind of "bait and switch" to me... however, they do spell it out if you look hard enough for it.



All PT Ultimate perpetual users should educate themselves before renewing this year!
Yes I think you are correct Unfortunately I think I was mistaken about the regular (after promo) subscription price, I think it does Revert to $799 which to makes no sense if you have a current renewable Upgrade and Support plan given it is still $399
__________________
System :
Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2021.6 .....Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen processor,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory,,2TB SSD storage,,Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory,, on Catalina 10.15.7

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 09-16-2021 at 06:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-16-2021, 06:56 AM
K Roche's Avatar
K Roche K Roche is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wilds of Wyoming
Posts: 1,481
Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Yes, Studio One ver 5.4 is fully native on Apple Silicon. However, unless all of the plugins or instruments you might be using (or wanting to use) with particular songs and projects must also be native Apple Silicon. If not, you must run Studio One 5.4 in Rosetta 2 emulation mode. Indeed, if you start up Studio One 5.4 in Apple Silicon native mode, all non-native plugins and instruments will not even load into the Studio One ecosphere.
. Since I do have Studio One 5,,,, I just looked over the info on this update. So not only are 3rd party plugins dependent on being M1 native BUT Even with the bundled Presonus plugins , right now only the bundled Studio One (FX) plugins will run natively, the bundled VI's will not (yet) ...
__________________
System :
Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2021.6 .....Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen processor,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory,,2TB SSD storage,,Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory,, on Catalina 10.15.7

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-16-2021, 08:43 AM
Rectifried Rectifried is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 439
Default Re: Promo for perpetual license holders

Looks like this offer only seems valuable to somebody who’s out of the loop and frozen their system… An avid wants you to use a year of the new version to get you hooked… And if you’re not hooked you just go back to the system you had
__________________
Hal Cragin On the DUC Since The Year 2000 AD

PT 2021.7, MAC PRO 12 core 6,1 TRASHCAN with [count it] 64 GIG ram Big Sur, . TBolt Antelope 32+ Gen3... SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA Charteroak eqp-1 etc etc.. all SSD's [samsungpro],
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sales Offer Suggestion for Carbon for Existing Perpetual License Holders Justin1524 Pro Tools | Carbon 6 08-15-2021 11:28 AM
Waves Offering 2nd License to all current WUP holders DonaldM AAX Plug-ins 4 05-21-2020 10:32 AM
Perpetual license tonyreed Pro Tools 12 3 07-21-2017 05:31 PM
Perpetual license - what exactly stays perpetual SixChurchStreet Licensing & Accounts 5 01-02-2016 10:43 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com