Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2023, 02:23 AM

Default Moving a video in PT Studio

I've used PT Studio for a few months now, and one thing I can't seem to find any info on is how to move/nudge a video after importing it.
Once I import a video, it's stuck at that place, and I have to move all my audio regions around to get it to sync, which is quite a hassle.

Is this one of the video-limitations in PT Studio, or is there a way to nudge the video?
Old 02-10-2023, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Moving a video in PT Studio

I am using Ultimate but I would think it would be the same ??

In any case I have the Smart tool selected and I just highlight the entire video clip and get the "grab tool" (the hand icon) to show hovering over the highlighted video clip and drag it left or right

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-10-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houbie View Post
I've used PT Studio for a few months now, and one thing I can't seem to find any info on is how to move/nudge a video after importing it.
Once I import a video, it's stuck at that place, and I have to move all my audio regions around to get it to sync, which is quite a hassle.

Is this one of the video-limitations in PT Studio, or is there a way to nudge the video?
Or you can highlight and use the + - plus minus sign to nudge base on what your grid amount setting are. ex. feet, frames, meters etc. That is how I have always done it. Very useful.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 02-10-2023, 09:31 AM

Or highlight the video and use Spot Mode.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-11-2023, 04:33 AM

Hm, sounds like I have a bug on my hands. The video is completely locked, no matter what I try. I've decided to migrate all of my stuff to Logic for now, because it isn't workable. Hope it'll get fixed, whatever it is.

Thanks for chiming in.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houbie View Post
Hm, sounds like I have a bug on my hands. The video is completely locked, no matter what I try. I've decided to migrate all of my stuff to Logic for now, because it isn't workable. Hope it'll get fixed, whatever it is.

Thanks for chiming in.
If it's locked, Maybe you inadvertently locked it. Use Command-L I think is the the lock or unlock command, but even then it warns you that it's locked. Also check you settings.

Found this thread that talks about unlocking and locking that might fix your problem. Keep in mind this is from a post from 2017 so thumbnails are from back then.

G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VideoLocked.JPG (41.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg zzz2.JPG (21.0 KB, 0 views)
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 02-12-2023, 12:08 PM

You mention nudge, but you don't mention in which direction. I say this because if you are trying to nudge earlier, and the file starts at 00:00:000, then you can't nudge earlier than zero. Solution: either nudge the audio later(which equals video being earlier) or renumber bars(or SMPTE)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-19-2023, 04:23 AM

I think you cannot move video in PT studio. I'm using PT studio for 4-5 months and I can't find a way to move video in PT studio, but I can move the video by opening that session on my another Mac with PT HD 10.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:29 AM

I believe you have to use Spot to Timecode right? You can't use the hand tool or nudge as Avid considers that "editing" which is not allowed
Old 02-19-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I believe you have to use Spot to Timecode right? You can't use the hand tool or nudge as Avid considers that "editing" which is not allowed

i tried using spot but its not working. my video is unlocked then too it's not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk