Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2022, 02:57 PM

Default the software will be completely disabled and will stop working?

Hi,
I have some concerns, questions about the Protools product because the distributor in Colombia AVCOM Colombia informs that once the one-year license expires, the software will be completely disabled and will stop working. I want to corroborate this information, because previously in the mail [Case : 04418983] dated 5/11/2022 7:14 PM Entered by: Abigail Ruth Faith, the answer was completely different, since I had understood that the Software could continue to work without the need to acquire new annual updates, is that correct?

Thank you very much, we appreciate your prompt response.
Old 10-14-2022, 03:02 PM

Default Re: the software will be completely disabled and will stop working?

OK welcome to DUC - sorry I just noticed you are a first time poster, so I can imagine why it's confusing. This stuff has been covered much here in the past.

Let's start with "The software" doesn't do anything, it's what type of license you have for that software. So what type of license are you talking about? You don't mention that once in your post.

If you have a subscription, the license works for the period of the subscription.

If you have a perpetual license the license well lasts well... perpetually, but you stop receiving new updates if you let the the update/support plan expire.

Since you are talking about a "one year license" it might be the subscription, or maybe you mean a one year support plan associated with a perpetual license. You need to be clear. If you are talking about the Pro Tools Ultimate US$999/year or Pro Tools Studio US$299/year list price new purchase where you don't have an existing perpetual version of Pro Tools then they are subscriptions. Like the word implies, and all the information all over avid.com makes clear, the license stops working when the subscription expires.
Old 10-14-2022, 03:10 PM

Hello, thanks, the license I want to acquire is the normal one for Protools, with an annual update. But I want to know if after a year I don't want any more updates, can I continue using the software? Of course no new updates.
Old 10-14-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo77 View Post
Hello, thanks, the license I want to acquire is the normal one for Protools, with an annual update. But I want to know if after a year I don't want any more updates, can I continue using the software? Of course no new updates.

All you can purchase now from Avid or its dealers as new licensing are subscriptions. Avid no longer sells perpetual licenses.

If you have an old perpetual license (possible with Pro Tools 9 onwards) you can purchase an update to get onto a current support/update plan.

If is possible to buy used Pro Tools perpetual licenses from other users and then purchase an update plan for them to get onto current versions. If you then stopped renewing that annual support/update plan you would still be able to use the version you had at the end of that plan. However I would only do this if you understand Pro Tools licensing, or you risk being ripped off by a scammers, and buying the wrong upgrades. And since you are here asking really basic questions, please just don't do that. Just go get a subscription for now is a good place to start.

Do you understand what version of Pro Tools you need? Flex/Ultimate? Studio? Artist? Intro (which is free)? Have you tried running a free eval version on your computer to check for problems? Do that! You will also likely want to purchase an iLok for eventual use (not needed for Pro Tools Intro)... a physical iLok dongle is more reliable that trying to use iLok cloud.

Pay attention to systems compatibility especially: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart Licensing is often simple compared to compatibility of Pro Tools, operations system, plugins, and audio interface drivers. Especially on the Macintosh platform there is much more pressure with recent Pro Tools releases. There I would not assume I would stop paying a support/update plan.

Test what you want to buy before paying anything is the only way I'd go. You can get Ultimate for a month free, best way to eval Studio if you are really worried about if that will do what you want unfortunately is just subscribe for a month. For all these the software is the same install, features are all controlled by the license. So evaluate and then just buy the final license you want.