Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2015, 02:00 PM

Default Re: OMNI Mic Ch 2 Input Signal Issues

I have 2:
One was purchased in June 2012, and the other in June 2013.

So, yes, both over a year.
Mac Pro, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HDX, 2xAlphalink,1xDeltaLink,
Mac Mini, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HD Native + HD Omni, Artist Series Mix x 2, Artist Series MC Transport, Atmos 5.1.4
VENUE SC48 3.2 with iPad Control
SSL Duality
SSL Duality via ipMIDI / ∂elta Automation Plug-In
Old 01-16-2015, 07:42 AM

Humm now my #2 channel line input is not working ( I'll check later when I get back in the studio if it is also the #2 mic input )
This will now be the second time I have a channel go out. I do not remember if the first time was #1 or #2 but even thought it is one of the earliest models An A version I think... Avid did repair it for free but not I am wondering if this unit should be replaced ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-26-2015, 05:58 PM

Default Mic Input #1 has buzz

I found this thread to be very helpful in many ways, but I still have the buzz in mic ch. 1. It just started one day and has been constant ever since. I tried resetting the factory defaults. I've tried different power cords. I even tried connecting it to the other port on the card. It's Rev A.

AVID wants me to buy a support code for $79.95, but that seems expensive if they're just going to say it needs repair. Has anyone purchased a support code? Do they offer any suggestions for how to remove the buzz without sending it in for repair?
Mac Pro 2 x 2.4GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, 14GB 1066 MHz DDR3, Avid OMNI HD (Rev A), Digidesign 192, Pro Tools HD v. 10.3.9
Old 05-27-2015, 08:34 AM

If you provide them with enough info as to when / where / why the buzz occurs, they should be able to give you clue if you can / should send it in for service, etc.:
-Is it JUST the mic PREAMP that buzzes, or does it occur when in Line / DI mode as well?
-Does the buzz follow to the front / rear input connectors as well?
-Is the buzz present in the CUE feed?
-Is there buzz with and without signal / connectors attached to the unit, and if so, does it change when the state of connection is changed?
-Have you moved the unit to another mains source (not just another outlet across the room)
-Does the buzz follow regardless of other connections on the unit (disconnect / connect any / all inputs, DB25's, Outputs, Inserts, Monitors, etc. using headphone and / or meters monitor to confirm the buzz.

I find that giving them an extremely complete trouble shooting list allows them to determine that the issue is a circuit board issue or not and make their recommendation without having to waste time going through all of the above on the phone, or worse, in their shop...
Mac Mini, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HD Native + HD Omni, Artist Series Mix x 2, Artist Series MC Transport, Atmos 5.1.4
SSL Duality
Old 06-01-2015, 04:35 PM

Up date to my number 2 input channel not working issue It was a matter of reseting the OMNI (from the front panel menu) 2 is working again.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 06-12-2015, 09:10 AM

Yep. Same problem. Mine happened after plugging in a mic. All reset options didn't work. t am assuming something has blown in the analogue side of the inputs. I got a quote to fix from Avid and it was a full swap out of the insides for around £600 sterling. So I bought new mic amps instead! But I'm popping into a facility who have a few units to see if we can swap stuff out and isolate the fault.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:04 PM

My second unit (not the advance replacement unit I received for the Rev F unit) is Rev D and finally bit the dust with this same issue on both mic Pre's.
Again, I contacted AVID support directly, reconfirmed the "known issue" status of this problem, and have another advance replacement unit on the way.!

AVID support has been outstanding and lightning fast with this issue on both of my flawed Omni's!!!
SSL Duality
Old 03-09-2023, 09:40 PM

Hey all,

Have an Omni unit here with a dead preamp on Chn 1...any point in repairing these anymore now that they're discontinued, or can they even be repaired?

Have a dead 8 channel preamp unit from years ago too...don't think AVID can be trusted with mic pres anymore...

Thanks!
Sig
Old 03-09-2023, 09:48 PM

Well, given that there are only 18 posts in this thread, and none in the past 8 years (!!), it seems Avid CAN be trusted with mic pre's, no?

As to your HD Omni, End of Support is 2025, so it is well worth your while to see if it is due to the known issues from nearly a decade ago, and even if not, might be an easy fix for them to swap out the mic pre circuit board with a different rev.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-support-dates
SSL Duality
Old 03-24-2023, 01:38 PM

AVID wants $1500 CDN for the repair of 1 mic preamp...I'm good.

You can find used Omni units for half that price these days...