Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Waves live tdm, worth it in 2013?

Waves and virtually every other major plug-in developer is still producing TDM plug-ins because there is still a very large installed base of users.

Avid has moved on because native processing has caught up with the power of small TDM systems for people using the newest computers. HD Native replaces the small TDM systems while HDX replaces the large systems.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
SoundGrid does *not* run TDM. SoundGrid had no TDM compatible Motorola DSPs involved, all the processing is x86 native, and no TDM plugin code actually runs anywhere with SoundGrid. This confusion happens because of what a Waves TDM license can let you do with SoundGrid, you still need to install/run the plugin compiled for SoundGrid with that license, it is all just a licensing/business decision for Waves to sell a remote running native plugin at a "TDM" price,
didn't know that.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:56 PM

thanks again for all the great info. i just bought a bunch of McDSP plug ins.

how many dynamic type plugins can i run on an SC48 without getting into trouble?

i'm using 26 tracks and 2 stereo busses.

how can i tell how much juice i'm using?

thanks again and yes, i will read the manual!

jeremy
Old 03-15-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy glover View Post
thanks again for all the great info. i just bought a bunch of McDSP plug ins.

how many dynamic type plugins can i run on an SC48 without getting into trouble?

i'm using 26 tracks and 2 stereo busses.

how can i tell how much juice i'm using?

thanks again and yes, i will read the manual!

jeremy
Beautiful thing about McDSP MC2000 is, that if you only need a 2 band multi, you can run it as 2. Or then again as 3 or 4 band and save some DSP cycles when not required and/or needed.

Under System tab there is Devices tab and there clicking on a DSP card triangle (in the rack) you will see what plugs run on what DSP and you see how much free DSP chips or % of DSP you have available. Some plugins can share DSP, so even if all chips are in use, you might have some % available on them for plugins. D-Verb is very efficient reverb for example, so you can run them many on one chip. Just make a blank show and add your plugins one-by-one and look how much they eat up.

Nice thing about DSP in VENUE (and any Pro Tools DSP) systems is, that you never start having issues like you might with running CPU based plugins. They run on DSP card and never start to crak or give errors. They either fit and run on a card or not. If they fit, they run 100% reliable. That is what you pay for!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 AM

again digidesigner, thanks so much for the great info!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:47 PM

FWIW there's nothing shabby about the EQ. that comes with Pro Tools.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:45 PM

yeah, i like it and use it all the time.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:41 PM

Re: McDSP MC2000 v Waves C4. I use the Waves C6 relentlessly. It is a multi-band compressor/expander with 2 bands of roving dynamic EQ filters. I liked the C4 more than the MC2000 for quick live use. And once the roving filters on the C6 became available, there was no going back. For example, I use it on bass, with a side chain to the kick drum, both in the lows and highs, allowing the kick to duck those frequencies on the bass momentarily. I use it on guitars, with a sidechain to the lead vocal, allowing me to duck some 1k from the guitars just when the vocal is singing. I use it on snare, instead of a gate, as a shaper/expander, getting a great sound with less ambience (high hat) and no artifacts. I use it on lead vocal, to dynamically control resonances around 230, 1k, 2.7k and 6k, depending on the singer (dewoofer, dehonker, de-icepick in the ear, d-esser). The ability to set each band with compression depth, with or without sidechain, etc makes it a very powerful tone shaping and dynamics tool.

I'm curious where the TDM licenses will lead. I find it hard to believe Avid will just leave it's loyal users who love Waves out in the cold, sending us to Digico.

Another issue I have with McDSP is that their new licenses are non-transferable, though I liked the Futzbox and ML4000 enough to get them anyhow. As mentioned, a benefit of the McDSP is less latency so they are great for monitors; all my uses mentioned above are for FOH where I don't mind some latency.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Jagard View Post
I'm curious where the TDM licenses will lead. I find it hard to believe Avid will just leave it's loyal users who love Waves out in the cold, sending us to Digico.
You do realize it's Waves not Avid who has chosen not to create AAX DSP plugins?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:22 PM

thanks for all the info denny. i like the way you work!