Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2012, 04:04 AM

Red face Re: HDX vs. Accel DSP usage comparsions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulV View Post
BTW, the math adding up the clock speeds of the DSP's doesn't quite reflect the performance of the chips.
Thanks for stopping the speculations, Paul. Typically, when sound engineers discuss the inner workings of computers they sometimes sound like they're talking about cars!

Indeed, there's very little point in talking about the clock speeds differences etc. of HD and HDX. The two systems are COMPLETELY different, use different architecture, programming language and so on.

The real world differences in performance of existing TDM plugins are a factor of code optimization more than anything. The reason Revibe isn't doing better on HDX is that the code hasn't been rewritten fully as Paul's reply suggests.

Since updating old plugins to maximum performance isn't very high on developers priority list, we will most likely see the biggest speed jumps in AAX-only plugins. But then, we won't be able to compare it.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:03 AM

Default Re: HDX vs. Accel DSP usage comparsions please

It would also be interesting with AAX native vs AAX DSP comparisons on a Mac Pro. Revibe vs Revibe so to speak...
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Paul,

Thank you for the clarification, and yes, my bad on the 32-bit issue - if the chips are "wider" there's no performance penalty.

I guess my real question was "can I open sessions made on an HD3 Accel with one HDX card", but clearly that depends on the plug-ins in question.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:42 PM

I've just replaced an HD3 Accel system with a single HDX card. When it was running as an HD3, it was close to being maxed out (5.1 stems). Now with the HDX1 rig you open a session and it sits there and laughs at you saying "is that all you got?"
The only plugin that got in the way was a TL Space TDM that had to be re-authed via iLok for a TL Space Native.
At a quick guess, the rig is now performing like an HD5 to HD7 system in terms of outright oopmah.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:34 PM

The average HDX performance should be slightly better than a HD3 accel system.
But as there are so few AAX dsp plugins outthere yet it just feel stupid to hear comments like, wow I opened up a session that was maxed out on my HD3 system and now I have 17 HDX chips free on the same session !
It is because all of your Waves ,Sonnox , McDSP,URS etc TDM plugins now run as native RTAS versions.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:16 PM

Slightly better than HD3? It's sh*tloads better.
Yes, granted that their aren't many AAX DSP plugs active, but this rig is just idling now when before it was screaming it's nuts off on redline with valves about to bounce through the cylinder head. mmm Valves...
Old 01-16-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
wow I opened up a session that was maxed out on my HD3 system and now I have 17 HDX chips free on the same session !
It is because all of your Waves ,Sonnox , McDSP,URS etc TDM plugins now run as native RTAS versions.
Which is the way most TDM users should have been doing it all along. Why in the world would anyone use TDM plugs in places where they are not necessary. Save those for the locations where they are necessary.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Which is the way most TDM users should have been doing it all along. Why in the world would anyone use TDM plugs in places where they are not necessary. Save those for the locations where they are necessary.
So you think it's better to have your CPU crawling and cards empty? Getting an CPU error with VI's cause you are loading your CPU too much and just keeping your cards idle at the same time? Why would that be a smart?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
So you think it's better to have your CPU crawling and cards empty? Getting an CPU error with VI's cause you are loading your CPU too much and just keeping your cards idle at the same time? Why would that be a smart?
I chose my words very carefully on my original post, I would ask that you go back and take a quick moment to read through my statement. I basically said, only use TDM where it is necessary. If you are running out of host processing, then it would be necessary. It is very rare that a person would run out of host processing power before TDM power, but that's not true in all situations.

So it seems for you with an I7 your computer is crawling with RTAS Plugins?

If that is the case, based on my original statement, then no, I of course would not recommend pushing your computer when you have available processing power in your cards. However, I personally never have anywhere near that issue with my computer and it's much slower than yours.

If I were you, I would have invested in another computer before buying the 4th accel card, and all your VI's could have run off that computer. If you had the cards before computers got much faster, then I would have sold one, back when they were still worth something. The work style I'm referring to, has been viable for the last 5 years in computer power. But that's me, no one size fits all in our world

Sounds like you are the type that does a ton of VI, so I get it, but most engineers are not in that situation. I've been preaching this work style for several years now. Fundamentally, this style is what Avid has adopted with HDX, relying way more on the computer host than processing on the card. The card is basically the backup in regards to plugin processing. I concede that is oversimplifying it, but it is really it in a nutshell.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
If I were you, I would have invested in another computer before buying the 4th accel card, and all your VI's could have run off that computer.
I've been doing that for the last five years, realizing that RTAS and VIs in particular is the main reason for PT crashes and other bad behavior. But I can't help myself looking at my Logic buddies with envy sometimes as they load their rigs with all sorts of sh*t.
While having two computers (in my case a Mac with PT and a PC with Kore) does the job, it's certainly not as elegant a solution as one could desire.

I was hoping that a future HDX/Mac Pro 2012 combo could do the job as an all-in-one workstation complete with VIs and all.