Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2010, 01:47 PM

Default 8 Core 2.8 MacPro w/ PT 8.0.4 HD2 Accel optimal settings?

Hey guys. I just upgraded from a G5 single processor 1.8, PT8.0.1 HD 2 Accel with 4gigs of ram to a 8 core Mac Pro(2008 version) 2.8 with PT8.0.4 HD2 Accel with 4 gigs of ram. When I open up an older session, I get the "not enough dsp" message...alot the tracks aren't playing and so forth. When I ran the same session on my G5(although it ran slower)it still ran fine. So I'm wondering..what would be the BEST playback settings for the 8 core? Here is how I had my G5 configured:

Buffer Size=1024 samples
Host Processors: 1 Processor
CPU Usage=%85
Number Of Voices= 96 Voices(2DSP)
Sample Rate: 48 KHz
Delay Compensation Engine: Long

DAE Playback Buffer: Level 2
Cache Size: Normal

What would be the best for my new 8 core..I searched before asking, so all help would count..thanks.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:56 PM

Default Re: 8 Core 2.8 MacPro w/ PT 8.0.4 HD2 Accel optimal settings?

i have a similar mac, my setting are:

Buffer Size=256 samples
Host Processors: 6 Processors
CPU Usage=%85
Old 06-27-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootysurfy View Post
i have a similar mac, my setting are:

Buffer Size=256 samples
Host Processors: 6 Processors
CPU Usage=%85

Thanks for chiming in..What about your number of voices and delay compensation engine settings?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:22 PM

i leave my voices @ 96 voices 6dsps bc i use a 4slot magma and if i do it @ 1dsp the pci bus gets to overworked. and since i only use my system to mix i leave the delay comp on long
Old 06-27-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootysurfy View Post
i leave my voices @ 96 voices 6dsps bc i use a 4slot magma and if i do it @ 1dsp the pci bus gets to overworked. and since i only use my system to mix i leave the delay comp on long
I will try that...thanks! Anyone else wanna chime in?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acelo View Post
So I'm wondering..what would be the BEST playback settings for the 8 core?
there are so many variables .... Plugin usage, track count, VI's etc... etc....
That is why the playback engine has as many parameters as it does. There is no one "best" setting. Sometimes it needs to be changed mid session, perhaps more than once.
So, in short, just start changing things until you find what works for you. You will learn a few things about your system in the process. Good Luck, SB
Old 06-27-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
there are so many variables .... Plugin usage, track count, VI's etc... etc....
That is why the playback engine has as many parameters as it does. There is no one "best" setting. Sometimes it needs to be changed mid session, perhaps more than once.
So, in short, just start changing things until you find what works for you. You will learn a few things about your system in the process. Good Luck, SB
lol thanks...I don't use any VI's on this set up...I just record and mix...
Old 11-04-2010, 06:12 AM

I'm working with a 2.26 8-core/PT 8.1/OS 10.6.4, and it's a balancing act, to be sure. Today's settings are 512 sample buffer/10 processors/95% CPU usage/4 dsps @ 96/delay comp short/DAE level 2. This is for session with several VIs (including the Arturia hogs), quite a bit of RTAS, and 47 voices. I'm having to print VIs and the session gets larger.

It seems to me (& it's really all impressions, because the RTAS meter changes every day) that VIs are the killer. I can get quite a number of RTAS plugs running without issue. I'm not sure about the number of processors setting, but 1 was definitely not working. I want the HW buffer at 256, but sometimes have to move it up when the VIs are thick.

There it is.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamshied View Post
I'm working with a 2.26 8-core/PT 8.1/OS 10.6.4, and it's a balancing act, to be sure. Today's settings are 512 sample buffer/10 processors/95% CPU usage/4 dsps @ 96/delay comp short/DAE level 2. This is for session with several VIs (including the Arturia hogs), quite a bit of RTAS, and 47 voices. I'm having to print VIs and the session gets larger.

It seems to me (& it's really all impressions, because the RTAS meter changes every day) that VIs are the killer. I can get quite a number of RTAS plugs running without issue. I'm not sure about the number of processors setting, but 1 was definitely not working. I want the HW buffer at 256, but sometimes have to move it up when the VIs are thick.

There it is.
this is similar to my most common set up. one thing that's different is that i ALWAYS print my VI's. once recorded onto a track, i make the VI tracks/auxes inactive and hide them - keeping them right next to the printed track so they're easy to find if i have to go back and make changes. keeping them off keeps DSP usage A LOT lower and the whole system runs better. this is esp true if i'm running multiple VI's in a session, which happens quite often for me.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:27 AM

I hear ya' - I'm doing that as much as possible. But depending on the project, the VI tracks may need to be live for awhile, and constantly reprinting with every change gets nutty (Logic's Freeze starts to look tantalizing). I usually start printing things when I feel the system getting twitchy, but part of the beauty of VIs (& MIDI tracks in general) is keeping them virtual through the production of the song.