Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-01-2011, 11:21 AM

Default 5.1 Mix Narrator Center channel Dialogue Centre or phantom Center?

I have a show that I am about to start mixing 80 episodes for. Its a dialogue heavy reality based TV show. Its about 30 percent Narrator and 70 percent sync dial. Its really not a show that lends itself or even warrants 5.1 but that is the specs they require for season 2.

Of course I will put the narrator in the center channel but would you put the sync dial in the Left and Right speakers (phantom center) or would you send that to the center as well. Or blend it across all three. I have mixed a few shows both ways just wanted to see what others would do.

One advantage of having Narrator only in the center is the MixMinus Narrator Stem is easy to make.

It is kinda annoying hearing the narrator come out of the middle than the dial come out of the sides. unless your sitting in the sweet spot you can hear it switching. But on air I imagine its mostly going to be pushed into stereo. or depending on the persons stereo be in 5.1

just wanted to see what others thought.

thanks
kd
Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Default Re: 5.1 Mix Narrator Center channel Dialogue Centre or phantom Center?

I guess it all boils down to a matter of taste. Personally, on a 5.1 mix, I'd like to have sync in the center and, occasionally, pan it around, with narration spread across LCR (which will add more depth and weight to it and separate it even more from sync).
Old 03-01-2011, 04:44 PM

I never thought of working it that way. dialog centre and narration across the front three.

I did a test today of narration in centre only and sync dial on L and R it sounded pretty good. Folded down to mono fine as well. But as soon as you leave the sweet spot it kinda jumps out or well you notice it. But then again no one at home has their system set up properly anyways.

hmmm

kd
Old 03-01-2011, 05:13 PM

Both only in the center...
some networks will kick it back if you spread across the front(I suppose it depends on the spec)... or it may sound funky when down-mixed to stereo.(which is how most people will listen to it)

... 80 episodes? what a gig!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norad155 View Post
... 80 episodes? what a gig!
Yeah its a blessing and a curse at the same time. ha ha

I dont have to be worried about the network rejecting it as I have mixed other shows both ways and never had them come back. But its a tough one. The safer bet is everything in the centre for international release i guess.

I always check my down mixes constantly so I'm positive anything I send will fold down properly. Its really a preference thing I guess. No right or wrong answers.

I guess i'm still struggling with my preference. With this show If I put all dial and Narrator in the centre there will be nothing in any other speakers besides music and ambiance (which in some Ep's can be pretty sparse depending on which vid editor did it) there is next to no SFX in this show besides the odd embellishment like door opens, door knocks and cars etc. If I put all sync dial in the centre then really I should put some of my SFX embellishments in the centre too. I don't like the idea of that perhaps a blend of sync dial across three speakers may be best.

kd
Old 03-02-2011, 02:53 AM

I would spread sync across LCR with some divergence and keep narr down the centre - which is the preferred way of doing things on Sky TV

Divergence gives the best fold down compatibility

I personally do NOT like the discovery "centre channel of god approach" for narr only. I think the ease of international re-versioning and ease of stems making is no excuse for something that sounds so lame.

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com