Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 11-04-2020, 12:46 AM

Default Serious Routing Folder Bug!

I'm experiencing a rather serious routing folder bug that has now manifested itself separately on 3 different sessions. Here's how it begins...

1. After opening a session that previously had no issues, the audio in one or more routing stereo folders has an audible latency of about 10-20ms on one side (at 48kHz).

2. Making all inserts/plugins on the offending routing folder inactive will resolve the latency issue (if this is done during playback PT will crash).

3. Turning them on one by one will make the offending insert/plugin known, however, the insert slot and plugin (type and manufacture) vary from session to session, sometimes being more than one insert/plugin. The only 2 commonalities is that the offending plugin is always multi-mono and only manifests on Routing Folders, and not on Aux's or Audio Tracks.

Several times the bug started before sending the mix out for review to the client, and the client actually liked the sound with the latency added from the bug, causing me to waste lots of time trying to re-create the sound of the bug induced latency, and I've been unable to determine the exact amount of milliseconds latency because trying to re-enable the offending insert/plugin will often result in a crash.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Serious Routing Folder Bug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHarrison View Post
the client actually liked the sound with the latency added from the bug, causing me to waste lots of time trying to re-create the sound of the bug induced latency.
Classic. Takes me back to the mid 90s when TDM systems used to occasionally become demon possessed and go into wild, grainy, undulating loops. One producer loved that so much and wanted me to make it do it on purpose. I learned to just keep an empty tape in the DAT machine to capture it for reuse.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-16-2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHarrison View Post
I'm experiencing a rather serious routing folder bug that has now manifested itself separately on 3 different sessions. Here's how it begins...

1. After opening a session that previously had no issues, the audio in one or more routing stereo folders has an audible latency of about 10-20ms on one side (at 48kHz).

2. Making all inserts/plugins on the offending routing folder inactive will resolve the latency issue (if this is done during playback PT will crash).

3. Turning them on one by one will make the offending insert/plugin known, however, the insert slot and plugin (type and manufacture) vary from session to session, sometimes being more than one insert/plugin. The only 2 commonalities is that the offending plugin is always multi-mono and only manifests on Routing Folders, and not on Aux's or Audio Tracks.

Several times the bug started before sending the mix out for review to the client, and the client actually liked the sound with the latency added from the bug, causing me to waste lots of time trying to re-create the sound of the bug induced latency, and I've been unable to determine the exact amount of milliseconds latency because trying to re-enable the offending insert/plugin will often result in a crash.
I have just been getting this this morning in the first session I've worked on since the 2020.11 update. I'm getting the same timing offset delay - making the routing folder inactive and then active again will cure that folder, but the offset jumps to another folder, creating this hopeless game of whack-a-mole.

I can't pinpoint a cause here, and I have no multi-mono plugs on these routing folders. I have experienced this occasionally on 2020.9 - time will tell if it is more frequent or not on 2020.11.

The only fix I know is to save / close the session, quit Pro Tools and re-launch which seems to cure it. PITA, though....

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 RAM
Lynx Hilo
McDSP APB-16
UAD-2 Satellite OCTO Core (Thunderbolt)
Old 11-16-2020, 07:51 AM

Yes, some delay compensation bugs exist on the folder tracks. E.g. check for any manual negative offsets, because these don't work correctly.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:07 AM

Experienced this myself last week. 2x Guitar tracks to a folder, identical plug ins. One side delayed and the other not. Restarting Pro Tools fixed it. macOS, 2020.5

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 11-16-2020, 11:55 AM

Spooky things going on in Pro Tools, for sure.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:46 PM

yes. what seems to happen though is that pro tools delays everything to compensate for the folder, but if you try to overdub anything, it's impossible. So i've learned no to create folders until i'm ready to mix.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:27 AM

Does this bug happens with routing folder track only or both normal and routing folders?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2021, 02:26 PM

Experienced the same issue yesterday in version 2021.6 (running at 48 kHz).

Mono audio track within a routing folder, panned straight up the center. No plugins on the audio track nor the routing folder.

When the track is assigned to 1-2, perfectly normal mono signal playing back.

When the track is assigned to Routing Folder -> 1-2, there's magically spread! And horribly impossible delay to play to!

Has this happened to anybody at a sample rate *besides* 48 k? If not, maybe I just run higher sample rates and keep my fingers crossed..