Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 07-08-2021, 12:48 PM

Default Carbon with Ableton Live

Wondering if anyone is using carbon with Ableton Live or similar to program soft synths etc. how is the output latency when using other apps and carbon with its core audio drivers?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2021, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Carbon with Ableton Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
Wondering if anyone is using carbon with Ableton Live or similar to program soft synths etc. how is the output latency when using other apps and carbon with its core audio drivers?

Thanks
Using Reaper, one audio track, one Superior Drummer 3 track, at 96k/64 block size, I get a reported 3.1/3.2ms in/out but I didn't measure it, so I don't know if it's true.
at 48k/64 block, I get 3.8/3.9ms reported. This is on a 16 core MacPro 7.1.

I don't have Ableton, so I can't test it with that.

Dominic
Old 07-09-2021, 06:47 AM

Hi,

first to reply directly, I find Carbon works reasonably well with the core audio driver with my laptop (2017 Macbook Pro), I can use 128 buffer in Ableton if I'm not driving the session too hard, 256 if I have a lot of stuff in the session.

A side note, I'm using two computers and Ableton Link seems like an excellent way to synchronize two computers; I'm running Live on the other, and laptop with Carbon as a kind of live mixer.

A sidestep, a question to Avid folks; Using Ableton Link, the audio seems to come a bit early to Pro Tools/Carbon, a quick measurement shows that the audio from external computer is about 124 samples early. Better this way, I guess I can easily compensate in Pro Tools. But any clues as to why this is happening?

Thanks,

Jussi Lampela
Old 01-24-2024, 02:42 AM

I've been using Ableton Live 12, and while I haven't tried Carbon, I can tell you about my experience with similar stuff. With Ableton, I've had a good time with minimal delay in the sound when using different soft synths and audio drivers. Just make sure your computer and settings are all set up right.

Ableton Live 12 has some cool things that help a lot. You can mix all your music in one place, saving a lot of time. It's also easy to find and organize your sounds with the new tagging and search features. The MIDI Generators are fantastic for coming up with new tunes and beats.

If you want more tips on using Ableton Live 12 and keeping things running smoothly, check out faqaudio. They've got good advice on handling delays and setting things up better.

Last edited by shea; 01-29-2024 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:39 PM

I use Carbon with Live 11 and it’s rock solid with no issues. @96k 256 buffer is 3.29ms output latency. @48k 256 buffer is 5.96ms output latency. Perfectly fine for virtual instruments like Serum, Vital, Kontakt, or Live’s instruments.