Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2012, 03:25 PM

Default PT10 on Windows 7 ?

Hi I was curious to see what experiences people have had with running Pro Tools 10 on Windows 7. Is it stable? As good as running it on OSX? I have a IBM thinkpad with a 1.83ghz core duo processor and 3 gigs of ram with Windows 7 and was wondering if I would be able to run it on my comp if I wasn't going to be using many plugins. Please advise...
Old 01-17-2012, 04:00 PM

Default Re: PT10 on Windows 7 ?

An IBM Thinkpad is probably not compatible, considering IBM sold their PC division to Lenovo at least 5 years ago. 3GB of RAM is marginal for Win 7, although a 32 bit OS can only address a little less than 4GB.

If you look at the Avid requirements for PT 10 you will see they want a lot more.

However, they have a 30 day trial version available and you can get that and see how it runs. You will need an iLok USB key as it's required by PT for the product key. Click Me

Member of Nashville R.O.P.E. Assn.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 AM

Well, it's pretty and it works nicely when you aren't doing anything serious. Once you really start doing hardcore work with tracks and plugins and everything else....it'll give you a memory error before you are done working, and you'll have to reboot. Not the worst thing in the world, but worth mentioning.

Mostly, it's when you go to save your work, you will get an error like this one that I took a screenshot of:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Z...oughmemory.png

Or you will suddenly get insanity like this, after telling you that it could not save while translating tracks or something:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-U...ingupagain.png

Look at the screen there. That's what happens when you do a lot of cuts/fades/crossfades and have saved 100 times already. Sooner or later, you won't be able to save and will get this instead. It's as if the programmers made it so that every time you save, the 1+MB saved project file somehow takes up your memory and stays there until you reboot or something.

Other than the memory leak or bug, it's great. I really do love PT10, albeit frustrating love. ;-)
Old 01-19-2012, 09:26 AM

I rebooted, re-opened my project just a few minutes ago and continued working. I got about 5 minutes of work done before it did this again:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-6...uldnotsave.png

Then I rebooted, opened the project and got this after a single edit and save attempt:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-E...ntimeerror.png

Would love to know of a way to work around this.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Update: I uninstalled PT10 and then manually deleted all the left over folders (including my plugin directory). I re-installed the program plus all my plugins and everything is working fine for now. When I save, it saves a lot faster than before.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofak1ng View Post
Hi I was curious to see what experiences people have had with running Pro Tools 10 on Windows 7. Is it stable? As good as running it on OSX? I have a IBM thinkpad with a 1.83ghz core duo processor and 3 gigs of ram with Windows 7 and was wondering if I would be able to run it on my comp if I wasn't going to be using many plugins. Please advise...
I've had zero issues with PT 10 and windows 7. Just run the optimization chart if you want to be sure that win is playing nice.

It may run with those specs, but it may choke quickly too. 3 gigs of ram is very low and the dual processor wont give you much power.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-20-2012, 09:02 PM

'what EA said'.. Ur bound to hav a lot of hang ups running W7 which is gonna take up over 1 gig alone.. Longer it runs, the more ram W7 is gonna start eating. "& then there's PT"
3gig.. Not enough for a real session.. Maybe a few tracks & plugs but thatz about it...

Sent from EPIC 4G using Tapatalk On'eim...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 PM

PT 10 on my WIN 7 works great
Old 01-22-2012, 03:48 AM

Hi, i'm disapointed to see that this problem is still there with PT 10 !
I have it since WinXP and PT8. I'm now on W7 with PT8.05 and it seems to be a bigger problem than ever.
But i suspect for a long time my UAD card for this problem and i see on the pictures that you have it too... I need to stay for now on 5.8 software on uad because of latency, but you, are you up to date with UAD, PT10 and W7 ?
Old 01-22-2012, 04:46 AM

It seems definitly to be a problem linked to UAD.

http://www.studionu.com/uadforums/vi...131231#p131231