Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2010, 07:01 PM

Exclamation Getting rid of the "Shhh" noises

I've been recording a new artist for this project we are working on.

Some of the songs contain this "Shh" noise for example the word "She" It makes a loud distortion noise that kind of bothers us. Is there a way to ease that sound?
Old 06-04-2010, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Getting rid of the "Shhh" noises

Better mic(pop filter), pre, compressor or a de-esser...

WELCOME TO THE ADAUFC

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 06-04-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Hdz View Post
I've been recording a new artist for this project we are working on.

Some of the songs contain this "Shh" noise for example the word "She" It makes a loud distortion noise that kind of bothers us. Is there a way to ease that sound?
Are you using a pop screen? That sounds like air (wind). I have ruined recordings like this. I have had some luck using compression and /or distortion (sans amp) to mask it.

But your scenario might be different.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:19 PM

Its a combination of all above said.

Go purchase a metal pop filter. Guitar center makes one that is cheap and they sound WAAAAY better than the nylon pop screens, they don't hold germs, are easily cleaned, and look cooler.

Next, go to Massey and download the demo version of his de-esser, then purchase it because you will love it.

It's really that simple. Sibilance is the problem you have, and it plagues every engineer recording vocals. The S, F & TH sounds tend to live in singers anywhere between 4500hz - 9khz and really vary on the singer. Girls tend to produce lower frequency sibilence than men, men tend to center around 7-8khz.

What you want to do is active the plug in, and then active the key listen feature, and sweep the frequency range until you find the trouble spot. I highlight a sound that is specifically the culprit, loop the audio, and then isolate the frequency.

Here's the thing, using a de-esser across an entire vocal can smear the consonents of the vocal, and make it sound bad. A trick I learned from the DUC a few years back, was to create a duplicate vocal audio track, and then manually go in and delete everything except the problem sounds. Then make the output of this track to a bus, and route that bus into the key input of the de-esser, so that the de-esser only activate on the problem sounds, and not across the entire vocal.

If this is too much to worry about, I often find it is faster and more efficient to just go in manually and audiosuite gain, and gain down the problem sounds by hand. Sometimes this really is faster and sounds better.

This can REALLY become a problem when you have several vocals stacked hissing together....

HTH's
GL!
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 06-04-2010, 07:21 PM

Thank you for the input! Much appreciated man.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFord View Post

If this is too much to worry about, I often find it is faster and more efficient to just go in manually and audiosuite gain, and gain down the problem sounds by hand. Sometimes this really is faster and sounds better.

HTH's
GL!
This has always been my first choice. A little Audiosuite eq and gain adjustment on just the problem areas works like magic.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-05-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
This has always been my first choice. A little Audiosuite eq and gain adjustment on just the problem areas works like magic.
+250 gazillion on this.. it's a way-cool method that allows you to tailor each "fix" that ends up transparent as anything..

But then again, I like editing manually anyways..
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 06-05-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post

But then again, I like editing manually anyways..
Not I, "said the Key" as he got up to each Lucky Charms for breakfast

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 06-05-2010, 08:11 AM

Not to be contrary, but this is not the way Bill Laswell would handle it.

Motown recorded all their early hits with the RE-20's predecessor the EV 667a. A dynamic mic. Use a windscreen, measure the distance so the proximity effect is not a problem later (comping takes). She should sing right on the screen, measure the distance from mic and screen and maintain it for all takes. Or you will have a slightly varying bass response or proximity effect. A less expensive but equally good alternative just depends on your pre and her voice is a Sennheiser 609e.

The expense in a high end mic pre is handling phantom power which spells death for the audio signal. Thus the price, also without dual transformers (bricks) most mic pres suck, or a tracking limiter. In my experience you will not be happy as you will not be able to position the vocal later in the mix. It will sound out-of-place.

my .02

(all old windscreens were made from tight weave woman's silk stockings, these block the puffs of air from the 'h' sound and do nothing to prevent sibillance)
Old 06-05-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka21stCentury View Post
...these block the puffs of air from the 'h' sound and do nothing to prevent sibillance)
Windscreens/popscreens were created to help to reduce the effect of wind-pops in addition to bi-labial and inter-dental plosives. (Bs, Ps, Ts and Ds respectively) They do little to reduce the sibilance of heavy inter-dental fricatives (Ss, SHs, CHs, THs, and occasionally Ts, Fs and soft Gs, etc.) since they generally only provide little resistance to high frequency sounds. I've found that the fine fabric mesh screens are only slightly effective against sibilance, and the perforated metal screens have little-to-no effect on sibilance in close-mic'ed operation.

Glottal stops and light inter-dentals (hard Gs, Cs, and Ks etc.) usually do not produce the higher pressure levels outside of the mouth, and generally do not cause problems.

I knew there would be a day when it paid off to study linguistics!

NL