Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2010, 11:01 AM

Default Questions about ProTools and film scoring

Hi there,

I am a filmmaker/animator/artist (and a bit of a musician).

For an upcoming short film project that I am planning to make, I am considering what to use to make the score. Years ago, I had messed around with Cubase (I think it was SE or something). However, now that I am gearing up for this project, I need to purchase an up to date tool to work with.

I was reading about Cubase 5 and saw that it allows the importing of a video track. I am now starting to do some research on Pro-Tools. I know that for high end studio work, Pro Tools is more of a standard, so I would like to start out right. And I am leaning towards Pro Tools for sure.

My question is, how does Pro Tools handle film scoring? Are there good tool sets for that kind of work? What is your feeling on Pro Tools versus Cubase? Finally, what version of Pro Tools do you recommend for this work and is there any hardware I should also consider.

Thanks for your input!

By the way, the storyboards for the film I am making are on YouTube if you want to check them out. It's about a man who struggles to find the unified field theory, (the "theory of everything"). As a matter of fact, I entered them into a contest on YouTube where I would receive some resources to help make the film if I win. The only thing is that people need to "Thumbs Up" my video by clicking the Thumbs Up button. If you decide to check them out, please click the Thumbs Up button while you're there. Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT1yOPu5F9A
Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Questions about ProTools and film scoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by animas3D View Post
Hi there,

I am a filmmaker/animator/artist (and a bit of a musician).

For an upcoming short film project that I am planning to make, I am considering what to use to make the score. Years ago, I had messed around with Cubase (I think it was SE or something). However, now that I am gearing up for this project, I need to purchase an up to date tool to work with.

I was reading about Cubase 5 and saw that it allows the importing of a video track. I am now starting to do some research on Pro-Tools. I know that for high end studio work, Pro Tools is more of a standard, so I would like to start out right. And I am leaning towards Pro Tools for sure.

My question is, how does Pro Tools handle film scoring? Are there good tool sets for that kind of work? What is your feeling on Pro Tools versus Cubase? Finally, what version of Pro Tools do you recommend for this work and is there any hardware I should also consider.

Thanks for your input!

By the way, the storyboards for the film I am making are on YouTube if you want to check them out. It's about a man who struggles to find the unified field theory, (the "theory of everything"). As a matter of fact, I entered them into a contest on YouTube where I would receive some resources to help make the film if I win. The only thing is that people need to "Thumbs Up" my video by clicking the Thumbs Up button. If you decide to check them out, please click the Thumbs Up button while you're there. Thanks!
Pro Tools LE + DV Toolkit or Complete Production Toolkit should give you just about everything you need to get going with film scoring, depending on how many tracks you intend to use, and whether or not you will be making 5.1 mixes.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 05-27-2010, 12:26 PM

While Protools is the standard for film sound and mixing in general, you might want to consider something else for actual music scoring. Logic Studio would be a good choice, with better efficiency at hosting virtual instruments, and other features built in that you might have to pay extra for in Protools.

I'd recommend that if you're just doing the scoring, and someone else is doing overall postproduction sound and mixing. If you're doing all the postproduction sound in general, and are limited on funds, then protools still may be the best solution.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
your first post and you are spamming us to vote for your video... not good man, not good...

Anyway... you can look on my myspace page for example of films and commercials scored entirely in protools.

As for which version of protools. LE, MP or HD should work fine for you. Since the program is 95% the same across all versions you shouldn't have a problem scoring in any of them. For example the Direct TV and AXE spots on my myspace page I scored in PTLE, the Harley Davidson and Ford Mustang spots I scored in PTHD.

There is no one program that is perfect for film scoring. Each has their own workflow. Find the one that makes the most sense to you and use it. Don't look at what other people use, because they are not you. I like PT and have no problem scoring film and TV projects in it. Other people have trouble using PT for scoring... It's really more a personal preference than anything else.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 05-27-2010, 04:24 PM

ProTools handles Quicktime video, just import it and lay down your music beds. A basic LE setup without the toolkits will let you play 1 video track.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
My question is, how does Pro Tools handle film scoring? Are there good tool sets for that kind of work? What is your feeling on Pro Tools versus Cubase?
I prefer logic for scoring, but I also have a huge midi template and several networked computers to host my virtual orchestra. If you are totally new to DAW's I'd recommend learning pro tools simply because it has much better documentation than logic. I also think the pro tools is a much better choice for a general purpose DAW. Logic has more midi features and a few other cool tricks, but pro tools has a much better mixer and is much easier to edit audio with. I personally sequence all of my midi in Logic, and do all of my editing and mixing in pro tools, but you can sequence in pro tools just as easily.

Quote:
Finally, what version of Pro Tools do you recommend for this work and is there any hardware I should also consider.
You need to buy digidesign or m-audio hardware in order to run pro tools, the program will not run by itself. I would recommend starting out with one of their simple interfaces like the mbox until you're comfortable with the software. Pro Tools gear holds its value pretty well so when you outgrow it you should be able to re-sell it for a decent amount.

One of the other things you'll need is a decent library of virtual instruments. Both Logic and Pro Tools come with a pretty decent amount of stuff out of the box, though if you are trying to do an orchestral score you're probably going to need to buy more instruments. I'm not sure what(if any) instruments come with cubase, I only have experience with Logic and PT so I can't make a fair comparison with any other DAWs.

I would suggest you start with a simple pro tools setup like the mbox 2 mini and learn the software first, otherwise you'll end up buying a lot of stuff you may not need.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 PM

Thanks for your replies. They are very helpful.

Quote:
Pro Tools LE + DV Toolkit or Complete Production Toolkit should give you just about everything you need.
I'll look into the toolkits. Sounds good.

Quote:
your first post and you are spamming us to vote for your video...
Not really, friend. I'm trying to make up my mind as to what software to get. By the way, great work on your site. I really liked the videos, thanks for sharing. Want to work on my film? Just kidding, I wish I could afford you. (You *did* check out my video, I trust. The link is above... )

Quote:
Logic Studio would be a good choice
Very well, I'll have to look into Logic. You weren't the only one who mentioned it. I noticed nobody commented on Cubase.

Quote:
A basic LE setup without the toolkits will let you play 1 video track.
Okay, then what extra things do the toolkits do?

Quote:
You need to buy digidesign or m-audio hardware in order to run pro tools.
I have a Lexicon Alpha audio interface. Will I have to buy a new one? Even if I do, it's okay, I didn't pay too much for it. (It works pretty good though).

Quote:
I would suggest you start with a simple pro tools setup like the mbox 2 mini
Okay, cool. I just found this deal on musiciansfriend and it looks pretty good. (It even comes with a guitar!) What do you guys think? What about that microphone? http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...dle?sku=702525

Thanks!
Joe.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Okay, then what extra things do the toolkits do?
The most significant thing for your needs is the DV toolkit which among other things allows LE to have a timecode grid(normally only available with HD). There are some other video friendly options as well. But for a short film you can probably get by without the timecode features, they just make it a lot easier.

Quote:
I have a Lexicon Alpha audio interface. Will I have to buy a new one? Even if I do, it's okay, I didn't pay too much for it. (It works pretty good though).
Yes, the lexicon will not work with pro tools.

Quote:
Okay, cool. I just found this deal on musiciansfriend and it looks pretty good. (It even comes with a guitar!) What do you guys think? What about that microphone? http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...dle?sku=702525

Thanks!
Joe.
Not a bad price for how much stuff you're getting. MXL is an entry level mic, I've never used them before but usually with mics you get what you pay for, so it's obviously not going to sound as good as a manley gold reference, but it's something to start with.

I don't think the studio monitors are going to be great, you really need to spend about $400 or more to get anything decent but again, they will be better than nothing to get you started.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
You *did* check out my video, I trust. The link is above...
I did now... I was waiting to see if you came back and posted again. On forums you get a lot of online advertising people that create new accounts and then post ONE post with link to what they are trying to get you to view, but they never come back to check the thread they created. That's why i was saying, it being your first post, made it look suspect. But the fact that you came back and participated in the thread, shows you aren't just some spam bot.

I Just went to the video and gave it a thumbs up for you. Good luck! I hope you win it!

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 05-28-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, the lexicon will not work with pro tools.
That's too bad. It's kind of a nice little interface (for my limited needs anyway).

Quote:
Not a bad price for how much stuff you're getting.
That's what I thought. Some software packages themselves go for that much. Plus you get the interface, mic, mic stand, monitors and even an acoustic guitar. Well, I am going to put some thought into this over the weekend and decide. As long as pro tools allows you to bring in the video. I don't think the timecode is crucial.

Quote:
I did now... I was waiting to see if you came back and posted again.
Sounds completely reasonable. I appreciate your integrity. No spambot here, no advertising... just trying to win a contest and trying to figure out what to use to score it. Thanks a lot for your view and your vote! I really appreciate it. I think that since in the first part the story is going to be told with very little dialogue (except for the narration track which I'm planning to cut way, way back on) I am going to have to especially rely on the music and score to convey what is going on. I think for a piece like this, music is going to be half of the equation and play a very central role.

Thanks again for voting!