Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2010, 04:20 AM

Default mac or pc, for best laptop performance?

no wars, please. does anyone have experience comparing the new macbook pro with new pc's? which will give better performance? i use HD3 on a macpro which is great, but my 3yr old macbook pro is useless once you build a few tracks and start mixing
Old 05-05-2010, 07:24 AM

Default Re: mac or pc, for best laptop performance?

Well, I can't compare it to windows, but I can say that 3 years is an eternity in the computer world. Even macbook pros from the last couple of years have been very useful for people. The new I5 and I7 versions should be amazing.

The lowest model 13" macbook pro is now the same processing power as my 2 1/2 year old Imac and I can do tons of stuff on my Imac.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockizoid View Post
no wars, please. does anyone have experience comparing the new macbook pro with new pc's? which will give better performance? i use HD3 on a macpro which is great, but my 3yr old macbook pro is useless once you build a few tracks and start mixing

Go Mac !!, Macs work harder. imoo

Old 05-07-2010, 03:11 AM

Today, if you want a safe bet, that is mac. Why?

Approved hardware. Win hardware compatibility is not really up to date at avid at the moment. Win7 is still in beta phase at avid. As much as I think win7 will erase the differences between the two os, now osx is the better choice.

I have just tried to test win7 and pt8.0.3beta, and it is very promising, but still has some problems, and oh, did I mention that it is beta?

Now osx, snow leopard works like charm right out of the box. And yes, the current laptop offerings runs circles around even a few years old desktop.

So, today, my anwer is go with the mac.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:38 AM

And more reasons to go Mac-----APPLE builds their computers, they build their Operating Systems, they build SYSTEMS that are consistent. Developers write for these systems as opposed to writing code for a general operating system that will run on whatever computer configuration someone decides to build. In other words, there's a purpose...
Old 06-11-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
And more reasons to go Mac-----APPLE builds their computers, they build their Operating Systems, they build SYSTEMS that are consistent. Developers write for these systems as opposed to writing code for a general operating system that will run on whatever computer configuration someone decides to build. In other words, there's a purpose...
And here is even more reasons.....pc's are not reliable, Mac's rule.........!

Old 06-11-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
I refuse to get sucked into yet another Mac vs PC argument. No,no,no, I won't, I won't I won't!!!!

But I must admit there's logic in your perspective.

And yet even with the logic of your point, the Developer we are implying here has a Mac area of the forum just a couple of clicks up that is chocked full of issues - indicating they seem to be unbiased and equally fair when it comes to problems.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBp View Post
And here is even more reasons.....pc's are not reliable, Mac's rule.........!

Simply not accurate. However, I do agree that Mac is the way to go for laptop use...because of compatibility, not because of performance(which is worthless if the computer isn't compatible). There are plenty of very potent PC laptops, but finding one that works with PT is another thing entirely

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-11-2010, 07:58 PM

Macbook Pro is easily the way to go for mobile Pro Tools.

Running a 2 1/2 year old Macbook Pro, and it still holds it's own against more than a few desktops I've pitted it against. Most PC laptops are just about useless after 2-3 years. Cheap PC laptops have been flooding the market these days, and it seems like it's getting harder to find one that is truly great for mobile audio.

If you wanted to run a desktop... I would say otherwise, unless you really have the cash to burn. Plenty of smokin' PC desktops out there, that are far more affordable than Macs... but as far as bang for your buck, Macbooks are the way to go for notebooks, IMHO.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-11-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netnoggin View Post
And yet even with the logic of your point, the Developer we are implying here has a Mac area of the forum just a couple of clicks up that is chocked full of issues - indicating they seem to be unbiased and equally fair when it comes to problems.
It's not to say Pro Tools is without problems on Macs... but it's much easier to get Pro Tools going on a Mac, since compatibility problems are far less likely.

The difference in the amount of "optimization" I've had to do with Windows on my PC at work, vs. my Macbook is almost exponentially more. I went nearly a week with Pro Tools crashing on almost every session, until I finally got XP to behave... and this is also on a Rain audio PC. While its CPU can certainly handle everything I throw at it... it won't even recognize all 4GB of RAM it has, and with W7 still in beta, I'm not going to take any chances of breaking my setup in the workplace. Especially since it is now running beautifully.

Since I upped my santa rose Macbook Pro to 6GB... it's been unstoppable. I've been trying to see if even my heaviest VI sessions from work can make it stutter, but it's still quite a beast for a laptop that is 2 1/2 years old. The fact that it will run the same sessions as a modern quad-core PC gives me a lot of confidence in the Macbook line.

While Pro Tools is certainly not without flaw, I can honestly say that I've had a much more pleasant time with it on a Mac than on a PC.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515