Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 02:26 PM

Default Headphone recomendations?

Looking to spend 100-150 bucks on a good pair of sealed back headphones.
I need these to be used in my home studio. There main uses will be for tracking (need go isolation for vocal recording,) rough mixing when I can't make noise w/ my monitors and for trying to grasp stereo imaging in this horid room I'm using right now (all 4 walls are diffrent legnths and materials.)
Also I am currenty a student at Full Sail, most fo the labs are done on headphones (can't have a whoel room full of monitors playing diffrent things.) That adds to the need for isolation, but also icnreases the need for physical and aural comfert. I need something thats not going to be uncomfertable or prematuraly fatigue my ears, while being accurate.

Any recomendations?
Old 06-05-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Headphone recomendations?

Search the forum, this is discussed all the time.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:11 PM

check out this post:

http://www.da7.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...=007244#000020

I use these for general purpose, not critical stuff....

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 06-06-2004, 04:45 AM

Sennheiser HD280 professional
I have these and love them. They are more than what you want to spend but on ebay right in your price range.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW Ebay Item
Old 06-06-2004, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I need something thats not going to be uncomfertable or prematuraly fatigue my ears, while being accurate.

Get something by AKG like the k240 Or more money the K270.

I picked up the BSW 5 pack for extra sets and they are okay. Pretty good bass and a little light on the top, but a great deal.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:36 PM

The AKGK270's are probably your best choice for that. In my opinion they are the most reliable headphones to mix on in that price range (very slightly lacking low end). They are louder than the AKG K240's but not still not as loud as the Sony 7506's (which are great for tracking and listening because they are big and beefy, but pretty fake to mix on). If you are looking for more isolation, I recently bought a pair of Vic Firth headphones. They are supposed to be for drummers because the have like 20db isolation, but they are remarkably comfortable for a long time and get pretty loud before distotion. You can slam a kick through them. I've also tried the metrophones for drummers, but they are too tight on my big head.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:12 PM

Fostex T20RP

They were like $80 when I got them four years ago. Great headphones, very flat response, and not fatiguing to listen to for long periods.

-Chris
Pro Tools LE 7.4
Event 20/20bas
bottle of Johnnie Walker Black behind right monitor
Old 06-07-2004, 06:41 AM

The Vic Firths are amazing for isolation, AND they sound very good too. Add ot this the $50 pricdtag, they're tough to beat. The Sony MDR7506 are a fav among musicians for tracking, but like the previous poster said, are definitely not for mixing.

But then IMHO no headphone is for mixing for any period of time. A quick check, or the late night rough mixing at very low levels. Headphone of ANY brand will quickly become fatiguing unless you remain at very low levels. I'm surpirzed Full sail uses them in the manner you speak of, I hope they don't promote students relying on them for accuracy, and stress heavily the fatigue and permanent hearing damage factor.

A search will give you tons of info and opinions on the subject for sure.