Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-26-2021, 11:22 AM

Default Strange issue when connecting monitor

I'm running 2021.7.0 Ultimate on a new MP. Catalina 10.10.6. When I connect a small external monitor then launch Pro Tools, PT defaults to the external monitor as the audio device instead of the Apollo. When I try to switch the audio device in the Playback settings, the following error is generated every time:

Could not complete the Playback Engine command because Assertion in "/Users/autobld/gitlabci/PT/release/2021/r2/ProTools/DFW/Views/UMenu.MacOS.mm", line 1843.

I then have to quit PT and disconnect the monitor. If I start PT with the monitor disconnected, then re-connect the monitor after PT is launched, then everything works fine.

in essence, I can't launch PT with the external monitor connected.

Is there a fix for this? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Strange issue when connecting monitor

Hmmm, I'm guessing this additional screen is using an HDMI input? Hopefully a more Mac-savvy user can chime in, but meanwhile, describe all the connections in detail(it will help get better advice). If you are using this to mirror your main screen(if you are not, then feel free to ignore the rest), here is what worked well for me: Using HDMI to feed my main screen(which is always showing the EDIT window), I went from the graphics card HDMI out to an active HDMI splitter(less than $40). The splitter had 2 HDMI outs and 1 went directly to the main screen. The second output had a 50' cable that went and joined a 50' USB cable(both fed through some nice mesh cable wrap). I keep a rolling cart(On-Stage Stands MX400) with a permanent shelf attached. On this cart is a 27" LED monitor and a mini keyboard with trackpad(both are attached with HD Velcro). The keyboard has the old PS2 connections so I use a short adapter cable to fit the long USB cable. When I need it, I connect the USB and HDMI to the rolling cart, put it where I need it and run the session from anywhere in the studio. The only catch is; the portable screen and main screen both run the same resolution(1920x1080). When not needed, I roll up and hang the long cable(but it stays connected at the computer end).

If the above doesn't apply, I would think you could go into the sound setup section(with the second screen connected) and disable it as an audio device, which might prevent PT from switching to it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-26-2021, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Strange issue when connecting monitor

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the HDMI out from the NMP. I don't want to mirror the screen. It's just a very small monitor about the size of a widescreen iPad (if that existed) that I ordered from Amazon. I want to use it to park an analyzer and a VU meter. There's no option to disable the audio on this particular screen.

I can launch and use the small screen with Logic with no problems.