Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-05-2015, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 (Minor) Issues, What Are Yours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
That's been a known problem since Pro Tools 11 came out, though some people reckon it worked for them until 11.1

The main workaround is to set it all up using Pro Tools 10.

Like with other bugs, I've given up waiting for Avid to fix it.
Do you know if it's possible to install 10 on Yosemite alongside 12?
Old 05-05-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
Sorry, I've stayed with 10.8.5 Mountain Lion.

It's definitely not officially supported, but I've read in the DUC that others have got it working. Not paid a lot of attenton, as I'm avoiding upgrading, other than about to do a clean Yosemite install to test Cubase 8 (which says it needs 10.9 or 10.10 but is running well on 10.8.5), Logic Pro X 10.1 (which won't install at all on 10.8.5) and Pro Tools 12 (mainly to see what hardware issues there might be).

Maybe others will chme in with their experiences of installing and running Pro Tools 10 on Yosemite, but if you search the DUC I reckn there is already quite a bit of info around on the subject.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 07-29-2015, 12:04 AM

I installed Pro Tools 12 after it had been upgraded to 12.1.0 so I don't know if the problem existed in the 12.0 version.
If I have a plugin on an instrument track such as a compressor for example and decide to remove the plugin, the track becomes muted. However the mute button isn't highlighted and toggling it on and off doesn't seem to make a difference. This has happened each and every time I removed a plugin from an instrument ever since upgrading to Pro Tools 12.1.
It has never happened on Pro Tools 11.3.1 though. Can't say about 11.3, as I didn't use it with midi at the time. It only seems to happen with instrument tracks. One workaround I found was alt/option-dragging (on Mac) the region to another instrument track and it became audible again.
I'm running OS X 10.9.5.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
You can't install Pro Tools 10 directly on any OS newer than Mountain Lion 10.8.5. You'd have to install Mountain Lion, install Pro Tools 10, then upgrade it to yosemite, which in my experience is a big no-no. Most if not all people who complain about major OS X issues are people who don't do clean installs of OS X but simply install a newer version over an existing older one. Imagine having complex programs like Pro Tools running on a "dirty" OS.
Concerning Pro Tools 10 itself on yosemite, people generally complained about graphical issues which made it hard to work.
If you really need Pro Tools 10, I'd suggest you do a clean install of Mountain Lion, sticking to it, and forgetting about upgrading to a newer version of OS X unless you're going to ditch Pro Tools 10.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcalla View Post
I installed Pro Tools 12 after it had been upgraded to 12.1.0 so I don't know if the problem existed in the 12.0 version.
If I have a plugin on an instrument track such as a compressor for example and decide to remove the plugin, the track becomes muted. However the mute button isn't highlighted and toggling it on and off doesn't seem to make a difference. This has happened each and every time I removed a plugin from an instrument ever since upgrading to Pro Tools 12.1.
It has never happened on Pro Tools 11.3.1 though. Can't say about 11.3, as I didn't use it with midi at the time. It only seems to happen with instrument tracks. One workaround I found was alt/option-dragging (on Mac) the region to another instrument track and it became audible again.
I'm running OS X 10.9.5.
This is a known bug dealt with another thread. When removing a plugin after a VI, the VI loses the midi assignment for some reason. You just need to enable the "Instrument" view in either edit or mix window, and reassign the midi output to the right instrument in the "Instrument" tab.

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 07-30-2015, 03:18 AM

Hello, what about the autosave bug, reset to 10 everytime i load a session.
It's a shame to deal with this sort of bug at this state and price, i'm a bit scary about all the ones i aven't already seen...!
As a more then 20 years user, i lose confidence quickly since some years.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:47 PM

My gui arrangements and dialog boxes view looks like something from win 7 with a translucent blue border. It doesn't match win 8 theme.
Ableton Live 9 (latest available build)
PT 12 (latest available build)
GA-Z87X-UD5H
i7-4770K
1 x UAD Quad card
Samsung 840 Evo 1 TB with 2 Crucial SSD M4 Storage
32GB Ram
Old 08-08-2015, 04:01 PM

ALT-H (nudge) dialogue box value doesn't stay the same between operations anymore.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:39 AM

Some of the commands using the numeric keypad no longer work, and I have to use the equivalent on the "normal" keyboard.

An utter pain, especially after years and year of command-this and alt-that.

I'm a confirmed Pro Tooler, but Avid have got to be the equivalent of a customer relations black hole. It seems that so much of what they do is badly handled, badly thought through, badly communicated, or just plain bad. I just wonder how long they can keep shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loud neighbor View Post
PT12HD here on a maxed out trash can Mac Pro. Bought 12 to see if it was more stable than 11.3.1 which tended to crash a lot in my experience.

Two quick things I've noticed (and other than a new start screen I don't see much of anything different).

- Wondering if this is specific to the mouse I use (Apple Magic Mouse) but I can no longer scroll through plug-ins with a flick - have to drag the mouse down through the menu. SLOW.

- Noticing GUI issues with redraw when you scroll through tracks. (half the track is missing until you zoom or mess with the track) This used to happen with one of the other versions of 10 or 11 but hadn't been noticing it in the last version of 11. Hard to keep track of versions... sorry.