Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 PM

Default Using midi to trigger sound effects

I use Protools for post production and voice over recording and mixing. I've never used it for anything to do with music creation so am completely dumb about the midi/sampler/virtual instrument side of things.

I recently got involved with some live "radio theatre" performances where the actors and foley work together on stage in front of an audience (just like they used to in the thirties and forties). Great fun to do. We've been running the on stage voice and foley mics through a Digi 002 rack and recording and monitoring the shows with Protools. We've also been able to use RTAS plug ins like Dverb in a rudimentary way and punch them in and out using the bypass function on the plugin at appropriate points. This has happened from the sound desk at the back of the room, where we've also been playing out some sound effects and atmos via mini disk through the mixer. What we'd like to is to make the recorded effects part of the show and give the on stage foley person a midi keyboard to operate, to use in conjunction with their live fx.

What I want to know is:

1. With a midi keyboard and a sampler ( I just downloaded Structure Free) presumably we could trigger atmos and sound effects. Do these audio files have to be in a special file format and can they be any length (some of the atmos tracks are three minutes +)?

2. Could we punch RTAS plug ins (like reverbs) in and out from a midi keyboard too?

3. Could all this happen whilst we are recording ?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Using midi to trigger sound effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhvoiceuk View Post
1. With a midi keyboard and a sampler ( I just downloaded Structure Free) presumably we could trigger atmos and sound effects. Do these audio files have to be in a special file format and can they be any length (some of the atmos tracks are three minutes +)?
Sample length shouldn't be an issue but what is is that no edition of Structure supports 'Latch Mode'. The keys on the MIDI Controller would need to be held for the duration of the sample to playback. However the Structure REX Player does support Latch Mode. How this would play back a three minute sample I don't know.

Quote:
2. Could we punch RTAS plug ins (like reverbs) in and out from a midi keyboard too?
If you could assign Bypass to MIDI CC yes. The Axiom Pro does this via rotary encoder (HyperControl for Pro Tools is only supported with Pro Tools 7.4 and above).

Quote:
3. Could all this happen whilst we are recording ?
Yes, this would be viewed as recording a normal MIDI performance in Pro Tools.

Regards.

filosofem
Old 05-07-2009, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Using midi to trigger sound effects

Thanks very much for a concise and full reply. That really helps