Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-26-2011, 11:22 AM

Default HD Native online record delay

Hello,
New to HD Native and have an issue that is reproducible and I can't seem to get around it. I've tried every setting I can find, asked a number of fellow PT users, looked online, and it has prevented us from using the system.

We're recording live tv shows to 64 tracks chasing code, everything works fine except when doing long record passes. After a long online record pass, maybe two or three hours, PT wants to update each of the audio files just recorded. This is presumably to add the waveform info to the file; it appears to increase the size of each audio file approximately 2%. I can see these files scanned and their size increased in the Finder. Looking at Activity Monitor/Disk Activity there's a constant read stream followed by a quick write, which is when the file is updated.

The problem is that after stopping record PT does not want to go back into online record. Engaging online record while the files are being updated, PT pauses and stalls and staggers while continuing to read the old files. It eventually goes into record but this could be anywhere from a minute up to four minutes of stalling before finally dropping into record. The Task Manager does not indicate this is happening so there's no way to stop it. Activity Monitor does not indicate anything amiss. The transport time display will update periodically to when PT thinks it's going to start, maybe a minute or more ahead, and it may or may not start at that time. Watching Disk Activity, at some point PT will stop reading the old files and sit there for some period of time before finally dropping into record.

If I wait for a long time until all the files are updated (on a 3 hour recording this can be 30 minutes) then PT will easily drop into online recording. I've tested this numerous times and it's completely repeatable.

Of course the system is clocked correctly - vid lock via Sync HD chasing locked code. Other audio software chasing code functions properly in this same facility. I've tried the usual suspects of resetting the playback engine during the read time to try and reset it, engaging jam sync, turning on Pause During Playback in the Task Manager, and many combinations of processor and cpu settings. At the moment it has stopped our progress because it's not possible to record using PT.

MBP-17 2011 / 10.6.7 / 8G-ram
HD Native card updated to v1.02 in approved Magma chassis
HD Madi interface
Sync HD, locked to video
PT 9.04
High-quality FW record drive (tried various)

Help is appreciated, I'm stuck.
Sincerely,
Hugh
Old 06-26-2011, 06:24 PM

Default Re: HD Native online record delay

I can somewhat sympathize with what you're talking about. When I'm recording out my deliverables on a show I have to wait til all the waveforms are calculated before naming the files. If I name the files while they're calculating PT gets confused and I have to restart the session to see the waveforms. Fortunately in my situation it's annoying but obviously not a deal breaker. The show I was doing was only 22 minutes long so I can imagine what it'd be like for a 3 hour show and live to boot, yuck.

It'd be nice to find out what the deal is with this though.

JR
Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 PM

Hello,
Anyone from Avid have any information on this? We're stuck at the moment, unable to proceed.
Thanks,
Hugh
Old 06-27-2011, 09:15 PM

I don't have the manual in front of me but have you tired the calculate waveforms during record preference?
Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 PM

Smile Re: HD Native online record delay

Hi Hugh,

Try Window,Task Mananger, click wee little arrow thingy, tick "pause during playback".
Old 06-28-2011, 08:52 AM

Hello,
Thank you for the suggestions. We've already tried the "pause during playback" in the Task Manager - that seems to only be for tasks that are listed in the Task Manager such as importing a file. The scan and update done to a long file after recording is not listed in Task Manager, nor does "pause during playback" have any effect.

We thought about the calculate waveforms during record preference but we are generating the waveforms during recording, then after it's stopped PT goes back and scans then updates the files. Seems to be a double-calculation and not necessary. The disk read is stopping PT from engaging online record.
Also forgot to mention we've done all the optimizations usually done including disabling Spotlight on the drive.

Any more suggestions?
Thanks,
Hugh
Old 06-29-2011, 09:42 AM

Hello,

We had time to do some more tests yesterday. We're here at The Voice at WB and during rehearsals were able to do some testing on two MacPro PT TDM systems running PT8.x to compare.

Performed two tests - a 2 hour 64 track recording to a firewire drive, and a 2 hour 48 track recording split to two internal drives (to reduce disk load to a minimum). When stopping the recording we had the same results - PT updates the audio files one at a time. Waiting a few seconds then re-engaging online record (chasing code) results in a wait of a significant time, varying depending on where in the scan/update cycle the program is with the files just recorded. The same problem as HD Native.

I asked the operators why they hadn't been bitten by this before and they all said they stop and start at each commercial break, and the few times they have made multi-hour recordings they didn't need to start again while chasing code, so they had never noticed the issue. We are not able to stop and start that frequently.

I'm not able to do any more testing for the next six days. Please - someone from Avid contribute some help here, even if it's to say "sorry, bug, won't work".
We're stuck and can't use the system at this time.

Sincerely,
Hugh
Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM

Hello again,

Was just in DC doing the annual Capitol Concerts show and was able to connect with a very well-known and very experienced PT operator. He rolled his eyes and said "yes, everything after 8.1 has that issue. We keep a couple of v7.4(?) systems around just for ease of punch in/out when we are going to need it. Of course the disk format is different which is it's own set of issues. Good luck".

So apparently this is endemic to any recent PT versions. Will contact Avid to see if they can do anything.

Hugh
Old 07-07-2011, 04:51 PM

Bugger...
Thx for update Hugh.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:06 PM

could list it over on http://protools.ideascale.com/ not sure if it's Ease of Use or Bug, I think I'd go EoU.

Thought about trying SSDs? I'm thinking there faster so the update should go quicker, don't know if it's worth the cost.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig