Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2021, 02:50 PM

Default Updating to 2021.3

So it extracts in avid and then it starts installing, wonderful... yet after installing codecs etc it asks me to first uninstall Protools 2020.12 which is totally unacceptable. Since that would mean that I have to reinstall all plugins for pro tools to recognice them, right?
Old 03-31-2021, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Updating to 2021.3

Not sure I understand your question. installing Codecs have nothing to do with plugins. Reinstalling Protools does not remove plugins either, although Protools will rescan them the first time you restart. I hope that helps.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 04-01-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator7788 View Post
So it extracts in avid and then it starts installing, wonderful... yet after installing codecs etc it asks me to first uninstall Protools 2020.12 which is totally unacceptable. Since that would mean that I have to reinstall all plugins for pro tools to recognice them, right?
I'm with OD on being confused, and you have given absolutely zero info on your setup. If you are running Windows, you must uninstall any previous version of Pro Tools(and also remove the HD drive if that option is shown). Windows 10 has a little flaw in that you can't uninstall PT from the Apps and Features list. The solution is to click the Programs and Features link in the upper right corner of the Apps and Features window. In the next window, once the list is loaded, you can right-click on Avid Pro Tools>select Change>and follow prompts to execute the uninstall.

Once that finishes, many of us like to run CCleaner to clear the Registry of dead entries before running the installer for the new version of PT

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-01-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Not sure I understand your question. installing Codecs have nothing to do with plugins. Reinstalling Protools does not remove plugins either, although Protools will rescan them the first time you restart. I hope that helps.
I know... but when choosing to update from avid link, after extraction the setup automatically installs a few drivers and codecs before starting the pro tools installation... which then tells me to uninstall pro tools before updating... couldnt avid tell me this BEFORE downloading extracting and then failing to install? Its just annoying as hell when u live in the woods with a bad internet connection.

Anyway if it will rescan and find the plugins again then I guess there is no problem... well, only problem is that avid dont manage to fix this automatically but instead asks me to do it for them, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, thank you both for answering. :) You made my day!
Old 04-01-2021, 09:33 AM

I would highly recommend downloading the installers from your Avid account instead of using Avid Link; especially with a spotty internet connection. That way, you will have the installers on your hard drive and you can reinstall, etc. without having to redownload. Also Avid Link uses up CPU. I tend to immediately uninstall it after every PT update.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:25 PM

I just completed a flawless install of 2021.3 on my Win10, HD Native system. I downloaded PT2021.3 installer directly to my computer (not through Avid Link). I first uninstalled 2020.12 using Win10 control panel Programs and Features, clicked on Pro Tools, change, uninstall Pro Tools and HD drivers ONLY. Left preferences and all other files on the computer.

When I opened PT2021.3 for the first time, it made me update the HD Native card firmware, which took about 3 minutes. I then opened a session, and all my preferences and plug-ins were still there.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I would highly recommend downloading the installers from your Avid account instead of using Avid Link; especially with a spotty internet connection. That way, you will have the installers on your hard drive and you can reinstall, etc. without having to redownload. Also Avid Link uses up CPU. I tend to immediately uninstall it after every PT update.
This is what I do and I recommend others to do this also (download the installer from your account instead of AvidLink). I don't know how many times I wished I kept a copy of a previous installer. AvidLink is one of the first things that people uninstall with every version of Protools.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 04-01-2021, 04:47 PM

Rule of Thumb ... maybe:

Always download the Installer from the Avid Website.

Always delete the Avid Link app, or at least don't have it automatically loaded so it can not gobble up precious resources in the background by constantly calling home and doing unnecessary things it shouldn't do in the first place
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 04-02-2021, 03:15 PM

It’s always been standard practice to uninstall Pro Tools on Windows before installing a new version, and having it MAKE you do it that way certainly isn’t a show-stopper. Uninstall old version, install new version. Not sure why that’s unacceptable. It’ll take you an extra 10 minutes. You can tell the uninstaller to just uninstall Pro Tools and the HD driver, it’ll leave your plugins alone.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:50 PM

Come guys, this 2021 and you still have to Hand Job Pro Tools on Windows. Get real! Abelton Live reinstalls flawlessly on every release for the last 10 years. There are no technical reasons other than a bunch of lazy ass programmers that can’t rewrite ther horrible install program.

The OP is correct in requiring an update procedure that smoothly updates his current version of software.

BTW I renewed by subscription on 3/22/21 and today had to create a support case for not having my licenses deposited on iLok. That hasn’t happen since 2016 my last support case for the same problem.

Aren’t we all tired of hand jobbing Avid Software over and over year after year.
i7 8700 3.2 GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Designare, G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32 GB Memory, ATI Radeon 4350, 1TB & 1TB Crucial NVMe M.2 SSD, 1TB & 1TB WD Black Caviar 7200, UAD Apollo x8 Thunderbolt 3, Motu Express XT, PT 2021.7, WIN Pro 10 x64 21H1