Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-01-2022, 04:57 AM

Default Advice on choosing a new laptop for Pro Tools Studio

Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster here. I hope this is posted in the right place - I thought it would be as it's about Pro Tools Studio, but please let me know if not.

I'm looking for some advice on getting a new laptop for Pro Tools. I've been using a 2008 MacBook Pro with Pro Tools 9 for fourteen years and it's finally given out. The spec on it is Intel Mobile Core Duo processor with 4GB of RAM, 320GB HHD. I'm running Pro Tools off an 002, Firewire 400 to 800 cable.

I've got a UAD-2 Solo laptop and I'm going to get either a UAD Quad or Octo Satellite to take some of the plug-in strain. I'm going to get the Pro Tools Studio subscription. I primarily use Pro Tools with Reason - I'm going to pick up the new version of that as well - to write synth pop-type music.

The problem with my current setup, aside from how old it is, is that once I've got a fair few synths running in Reason, rewired into Pro Tools, along with some non-UAD plugins in Pro Tools, the CPU can't handle it. The reason I haven't upgraded in so long is because I haven't been in a position to financially. Finally I am, but I want to get it right. I want to be able to run 40+ rewire tracks, plus 4-8 vocal tracks, all with 2-3 plugins, without worrying about CPU strain. I don't currently mix for anyone else, but I have done in the past and may hopefully do again, so alongside being a songwriting/mixing tool, it will also at times be a straight mixing tool for sessions with probably 50+ tracks.

I figure whatever I get is going to be a big upgrade on what I've got now, but I want to get something futureproof and where I won't run into any processing power headaches with what I'm doing. I know the Mac vs Windows thing is boring, so I'm not trying to open that up. I've got max £2k to spend on the laptop; ideally I'd spend less. I've looked at this laptop, which has a core i7 processor, 32GB of RAM, 512 SSD. Will that be enough power for what I'm looking for? If not, I was looking at this one, which is AMD Ryzen 7, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD. Or, should I just stick with a Mac as I know all the shortcuts and get this MacBook Pro, M1 Pro chip, 16Gb RAM, 512GB SSD?

I've paralysed myself with choice and I'm completely out the loop with how much power I need to work comfortably because I've been on my old setup for so long! Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Joel