Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2019, 03:44 PM

Default Pro Tools 2018.12 crashing when loading Vienna Instruments plugin at startup

Hello,
I have not found any thread concerning my issue, therefore, I hope it is safe to start a new one.

On Sunday, I installed Pro Tools 2018.12, I then proceeded to launch it, however, during the initial plugin scan, Pro Tools suddenly crashes when it comes to Vienna Instruments (Vienna Ensemble PRO and Ensemble are ok).

I am asking the same question on the VSL forum, hopefully somebody may be able to shed some light on how to resolve the issue?

Cheers!
Old 01-20-2019, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2018.12 crashing when loading Vienna Instruments plugin at startup

Yes same. I'm on Windows. I had not updated to 2018.12 yet, but got a random issue where Pro Tools got stuck on "initializing databases." So I decided to update to 2018.12 to try and fix.

That got me past "initializing databases" but now plugins (mainly sample based ones) are taking forever to load, and then when I get to VEpro it causes the same crash you're talking about.

Can't open Pro Tools, fun stuff.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2018.12 crashing when loading Vienna Instruments plugin at startup

I also am on Windows.
I have got somebody from VSL trying to assist, and what they suggested is to uninstall and reinstall the Vienna stuff. That might work, however, I feel like the issue will come back when reinstalling...
Old 01-25-2019, 03:41 AM

I removed all the Vienna AAX plugins and succeeded in starting ProTools. However, a few other plugins did not get validated, and also my Scarlett 2i2 did not get recognised...
Old 02-04-2019, 01:20 PM

Are you using Dimension Strings in your session that crashes? VEpro and Pro Tools seems to open fine *unless* I'm using Dim Strings.

Pretty sure I'm the only one on the planet foolish enough to have purchased said library, so it's kind of impossible to tell.

VSL talking to you via email? They told me they "generally" don't offer phone support. I don't think it's going to get solved over email.

My workaround is to open the VEpro template first (loads fine) then open Pro Tools, then open the session with plugins disabled (hold shift) then re-enable the VEpro plugins and all other plugs one by one.

Sry about your interface.

EDIT:

Just re-read your OP and realized its a different issue but one that I also had last month. I think I solved by downloading and installing newest versions of all software. My problem was with Vienna Ensemble, not Instruments, so I removed that since I only use VEpro. Also have Vienna Instruments Pro2.

I have a hunch Pro Tools wasn't loading because I had iLok and vienna key plugged into the same USB 3.0 hub (I've heard keys don't like USB 3.0) and had switched the port it was plugged into on my PC. After a few days the drivers automatically corrected or some such. Going to be transferring iLok to cloud soon..
Old 02-04-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarf View Post
Just re-read your OP and realized its a different issue but one that I also had last month. I think I solved by downloading and installing newest versions of all software. My problem was with Vienna Ensemble, not Instruments, so I removed that since I only use VEpro. Also have Vienna Instruments Pro2.
I had downloaded all the most recent updates to the Vienna software, which, by the way, does not cause any sort of troubles in both Cubase 9.5 and 10. I am thinking of removing the AAX plugins for the VSL stuff, as I am not going to use it with ProTools. In fact, I might be uninstalling all the AAX plugins for the different samplers I have got, as I mainly compose in Cubase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarf View Post
I have a hunch Pro Tools wasn't loading because I had iLok and vienna key plugged into the same USB 3.0 hub (I've heard keys don't like USB 3.0) and had switched the port it was plugged into on my PC. After a few days the drivers automatically corrected or some such. Going to be transferring iLok to cloud soon..
I also am using iLok and eLicenser keys with a USB 3.0 hub, and, truth be told, I have not experienced any problems whatsoever with it. Do you reckon I need to wait for the drivers to sort themselves out??

Thank you so much for chiming in I have not had occasion to get back to resolve my PT issues, as I am working on a couple of projects, but perhaps I will be able to over the coming weekend. Cheers!
Old 04-22-2019, 04:53 PM

Yep same here, very annoying, as soon as I load VEP 6 in PT2018.12 the software crashes, Tried everything installing and reinstalling.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:02 PM

I forgot to give an update about my issues with Vienna Instruments.

After removing the VSL plugins, and experiencing ProTools starting, but some other plugins not being acknowledged, I then readded the VSL plugins, and magically everything came together. I did an pply an update to the VSL plugins, which may, or may not, be the cause of the successful launch of ProTools