Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Default Opening old Pro Tools files (What type are they?)

In a nutshell, I want to remix an album from 2006, but am unable to open the files, (Pro Tools sessions or Audio Files).

Here's the lowdown:
1. The album was presumably recorded on Pro Tools 6 (this was early 2006), but I'm not sure and can't find any documentation on it. All I know at this point is that the album was cut on some version of Pro Tools.

2. The album was cut on a Mac. I don't remember what type of Mac, I only played on the record (I had no tech input) and have no real recollection of how we cut it.

3. I am trying to open these files on a PC running Pro Tools LE 8.0.5.

4. The discs (DVD-R) containing the sessions make no note of what edition of Pro Tools it was recorded on. I copied these to the desktop first and have made no attempt to open anything directly from the discs.

5. The discs only list the audio types as "L" & "R".

Questions:
1. What type of audio files would these be?

2. How can I convert them?

I don't mind losing the plug-ins and fades (the intent was to remix anyway), but I'd really like to at least salvage the audio tracks.

Thanks in advance.

Note: If this isn't the right forum for this, any admin, please feel free to reassign it.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Opening old Pro Tools files (What type are they?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwplj View Post
Questions:

1. SD2
  2. With Pro Tools
I assume that the session files were not saved on the Mac as Mac/PC compatible. You could try appending .pts to the session file and see if PT will open them. If so, it may automatically recognize and ask to convert the SD2 audio files to your choice (choose wav).

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Ok, I was able to open the session files by adding .pts to the file name (turns out it was cut on Pro Tools 6.9). However, I can't seem to get the audio files relinked--Pro Tools refuses to acknowledge them.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 PM

If they are SD2 files, try searching for Rail Jon Rogut's SD2-to-Wave converter app. Convert them and then import them into a Pro Tools session. Alternatively, have the session opened up on a Mac and resaved to be compatible with a PC.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-14-2011, 06:18 PM

Now you could try adding the .sd2 suffix to each audio file and see if PT will recognize and convert them.

Perhaps your success may be determined by whether or not the resource fork is still available for the files. You might try referencing the audio files directly from the DVD in case that works.

If you can't get them to be seen and converted by Pro Tools, you can use Rail Jon Rogut's sdTwoWav to convert them.

EDIT: Gosh I type slow.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 05-14-2011, 06:38 PM

I've tried adding the .sd2 suffix to the file names, it does finally come up as a Sound Designer II file, but Pro Tools still refuses to acknowledge it.

I've also tried the SdTwoWav software and all I wind up with is white noise (regardless of the setting I'm using).

The Preferences were also deleted (and computer restarted), but no change.

How do I find out if the resource fork(?) is still available?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 PM

I don't remember when aif support was added, but I think it was there with the 001 so I think it is possible that these are aif files instead of sd2. You can try adding the .aif suffix instead and see if this works.

When you open the session, you should get a find and relink window. Try to relink manually by name only. You may also be able to tell what type of audio files were used in the session if you look in the session setup (Setup Menu>Session).

Old 05-14-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwplj View Post
In a nutshell, I want to remix an album from 2006, but am unable to open the files, (Pro Tools sessions or Audio Files).

Here's the lowdown:
1. The album was presumably recorded on Pro Tools 6 (this was early 2006), but I'm not sure and can't find any documentation on it. All I know at this point is that the album was cut on some version of Pro Tools.

2. The album was cut on a Mac. I don't remember what type of Mac, I only played on the record (I had no tech input) and have no real recollection of how we cut it.

3. I am trying to open these files on a PC running Pro Tools LE 8.0.5.

4. The discs (DVD-R) containing the sessions make no note of what edition of Pro Tools it was recorded on. I copied these to the desktop first and have made no attempt to open anything directly from the discs.

5. The discs only list the audio types as "L" & "R".

Questions:

I don't mind losing the plug-ins and fades (the intent was to remix anyway), but I'd really like to at least salvage the audio tracks.

Thanks in advance.

Note: If this isn't the right forum for this, any admin, please feel free to reassign it.
This is really sounding like it might be easiest to have a forum member with an older mac open, convert and resave the session as one that PC/Intel Mac compatible.

Not that any advice in the thread is wrong. All of its good.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 AM

Yup, the sessions were likely created/saved WITHOUT checking the box for enforcing PC/Mac compatibility. I agree that the best bet is to find someone with a Mac system to open and re-save for you.(probably ANY Mac system could open the session). I would take along an external drive that can be addressed by a Mac. Once each session is opened on a Mac, then I would immediately consolidate each and every track, and export audio as wav or aiff to a folder, and drag that folder to your drive(in addition to saving the session on your drive). That way, worst case scenario is you could just create brand new sessions and import the audio. Since it was all consolidated back to time zero, all tracks would line up.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Yup, the sessions were likely created/saved WITHOUT checking the box for enforcing PC/Mac compatibility. I agree that the best bet is to find someone with a Mac system to open and re-save for you.(probably ANY Mac system could open the session). I would take along an external drive that can be addressed by a Mac. Once each session is opened on a Mac, then I would immediately consolidate each and every track, and export audio as wav or aiff to a folder, and drag that folder to your drive(in addition to saving the session on your drive). That way, worst case scenario is you could just create brand new sessions and import the audio. Since it was all consolidated back to time zero, all tracks would line up.
This sounds like some excellent advice.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88