Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-18-2016, 06:08 PM

Default Artist Control--using all those knobs etc?

Folks using Artist Controls who are experienced PT drivers--do you find yourself using all those touch screen commands and little knobs, or mostly just the faders and jog wheel..? Are all those touch screen commands really any faster than keybd/mouse?
thx
Old 05-18-2016, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Artist Control--using all those knobs etc?

Way faster and yes. The more knobs the better.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 05-19-2016, 09:02 AM

Agreed with Brandonx1, I definitely use all the knobs on my Artist Control. I don't generally use them for EQ manipulation (unless I'm trying to do something smooth and specific with just one of the bands), but I use them all the time to quickly select my EQs, Sends, Inserts, etc as I jump around the session. Once you get into a rhythm it really speeds things up.

Also the physical softkeys are invaluable. Program a custom set you like for all your common tasks and it'll speed everything up immensely. I use those most of anything on that control surface.

The touch screen I don't use so much, just because it's not a great quality touchscreen and the sensitivity isn't all that good. However now that the PT Control app works with it I can use the much better iPad touchscreen for all that instead, plus all the physical knobs and softkeys and faders on the Artist Control surface. Best of both worlds (if you already own an iPad).
Old 05-19-2016, 08:31 PM

Yes I use the soft keys with custom pages. I put Solo Clear on all of them so that's always on hand. The knobs are not great but they are better than nothing. Same with the touch screen, for commands with no keyboard shortcut.

I'm sure the new control unit with an iPad has better knobs but the Artist series are nice and cheap used.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:44 PM

I find the touch screen very useful and it has become part of my workflow. I have programed key commands (macros) and can do extensive Pro-Tools control with one touch. For example, I have set up a 'dialogue edit/restoration' mode that with one touch of the screen does this:

Resize video to 1/2
Open CEDAR DNS audio suite
Open CEDAR De-clip
Open CEDAR De-buzz
Open De-click RX
Open De-noise RX
Open Unveil

In my computer Pro Tools takes about 5 seconds to open all these plugins and re-size windows with one touch of the touch screen.

On the same touch screen page, I have one touch macros for: open Izotope connect, view clip volume line or normal volume, copy special and past special, show system usage, jump to next window, jump to sound effects window, jump to mix window, etc.

For me and my workflow this has become second nature and it is incredibly fast, I can jump from one work mode to another with one touch and have the software open all the plugin I need, and optimize the lay out of Pro-Tools for specific tasks. So I can jump form 'editing sound effects' with their own set of plugins, and in one touch change to 'mixing sound effects' that sets up the Pro-Tools lay out in a different way and with different open plugins.

I don't use the knobs or the wheel.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
I find the touch screen very useful and it has become part of my workflow. I have programed key commands (macros) and can do extensive Pro-Tools control with one touch. For example, I have set up a 'dialogue edit/restoration' mode that with one touch of the screen does this:

Resize video to 1/2
Open CEDAR DNS audio suite
Open CEDAR De-clip
Open CEDAR De-buzz
Open De-click RX
Open De-noise RX
Open Unveil

In my computer Pro Tools takes about 5 seconds to open all these plugins and re-size windows with one touch of the touch screen.

On the same touch screen page, I have one touch macros for: open Izotope connect, view clip volume line or normal volume, copy special and past special, show system usage, jump to next window, jump to sound effects window, jump to mix window, etc.

For me and my workflow this has become second nature and it is incredibly fast, I can jump from one work mode to another with one touch and have the software open all the plugin I need, and optimize the lay out of Pro-Tools for specific tasks. So I can jump form 'editing sound effects' with their own set of plugins, and in one touch change to 'mixing sound effects' that sets up the Pro-Tools lay out in a different way and with different open plugins.

I don't use the knobs or the wheel.
thanks very much (to all)
So you don't leave those restor type plugs open all the time--just when you are going to process something? Does your show vol-line vs wfm control do that for all channels at once or only specific ones? And the jog-wheel hasn't proved useful for backing and forthing the timeline?
Old 05-20-2016, 08:48 PM

Wow garnoil, your macros are complex. I programmed some for my tasks and use as well the touchscreen as the soft keys below the display. I don't use the left and right knobs that much but am happy to have them, just in case.
I even use the wheel to zoom track height and to zoom in or out in the edit window.
I'm happy what the Artist Control did for me the last seven years but I will change to Pro Tools Dock.
I used the new app the last days and am very happy with all the new functionality. In conjunction with the Dock it seems to be the Artist Control 2.0 in my opinion.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:43 PM

The wheel is chintzy and for the most part useless to me. I guess you could use it to scrub but it feels so flimsy.

I use window configs for plugins. I tried macros but never kept any. I love macros with other programs but these are clunky.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:40 PM

The overall built quality of the Control (I have an Euphonix branded V2) is mediocre. The touchscreen works okay but worse than an iPad. The dock looks like it has the same quality elements like the S3. I will be testing it soon.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
thanks very much (to all)
So you don't leave those restor type plugs open all the time--just when you are going to process something? Does your show vol-line vs wfm control do that for all channels at once or only specific ones? And the jog-wheel hasn't proved useful for backing and forthing the timeline?

No the plugins are only used when I am doing that specific task, If I am doing dialogue resotore then certain plugins open when I hit the 'resore DX' touch screen but if I am doing sound design I'll touch 'sound design' and sound design plugins will open such as: Pitch and Time, reverse, echo, delay etc.

Programming these windows is very easy to do. They are simple configuration windows this is how you do it:

Make a new configuration window: open whatever plugins you want to have open in that specific window, re-size your video if you want, place the plugins wherever you want on your screen, open a big TC counter, or open the memory location window, virtually any thing than Pro-Tools can display or open. The just save that as your config window and give it whatever name you want. Now just assign a soft key on the Eucon for the artist control, to that specific window, and you are done. Noe every time you hit the soft key on the Artist control that entire configuration will open. Make a configuration without anything that is your basic normal way to display your Pro-Tools (call that basic or normal or whatever) and also save this config and link it to the Artist control soft key. So now you can hit your dialogue edit config and when you are finish editing dialogue with all your plugins simply hut the basic config and all the plugins will close, the video will resize to your normal way of working etc. Once you get used to working with these types of shortcuts you will not believe how amazingly fast your workflow will become. You can also program much more complex macros and I did a couple of those but I have not had the time to really get into that because I am simply too busy.

For me the wheel is useless and my left hand is way faster on the keyboard (you have to know all the shortcuts) that I prefer to left hand most of my commands like zooming, scrolling, selecting edit tools, etc.