Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 06-25-2020, 09:54 AM

Default HDIO WC issue in latest PT2020 - MTRX

A recent update in protools and DADMan has seemed to have put my HDIO into a bad place. Essentially I cannot get it to clock so I get oscillating drop outs at varied rates depending on what clock source is selected.

I have a fairly complex setup with a MTRX, Burl B80, HDIO, Waves DLS. These all get WC from a OCXHD. I noticed new options for the MTRX in both DADMan and PT. IE, in setup you can now select MTRX as the sync source in PT. There is now a DLY option in DadMon that seems to set itself to 5 no matter what I do.

I have tried every config I can think of and the closest I have gotten to where the HDIO seems to sync is with the DLS off. When I start PT it will not sync. I go to settings and select the HDIO WC as source and it works, then I go and reset to MTRX and it continues to work as long as the session is up and running.

The system was working fine until some recent update. I don't always use the HDIO so may not have noticed it when it really started.

MTRX is set to WC in, Pri/Pri, Adapt to Digilink1, 75ohm term

Session is at 96K, have not tried any others yet.

Any thoughts?

HDX2
Mac Trashcan
S6
Old 06-25-2020, 05:49 PM

Default Re: HDIO WC issue in latest PT2020 - MTRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinStudioHouse View Post

Any thoughts?

HDX2
Mac Trashcan
S6
Hey, so I'm having new sync issues after I updated my system from MacPro 5,1 > 7,1, fresh install, Catalina etc. I changed my interface combination from a 192 + HD I/O 16x16, to an OMNI + the HD I/O 16x16 (i.e. replaced the 192). Interfaces are synced with Loop sync.

Likely its unrelated, as we've completely different interface setups, but worth throwing up here, as clearly something sync related is not working.

I mix music and regularly use hardware in parallel on my master bus (use 2 Auxes, one with the HW inserted). Since the hardware/software update, I've been having constant issues with the clocking / delay compensation with the HW insert delay compensation being calculated incorrectly. Sometimes it can be corrected with a change of 1 sample on one of the master Auxes, other times, the 1 sample won't work and I need to constantly change the Loop sync clock source from each interface until it sounds correct. Sometimes it never does and a full restart is required, but that just ends up with another random sync issue

Two days ago I changed out the OMNI for the 192 and haven't had any of the issues, yet. Lots of moving parts here so need more time to isolate what the issue is.

Forrester
Old 06-25-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsavell View Post
Hey, so I'm having new sync issues after I updated my system from MacPro 5,1 > 7,1, fresh install, Catalina etc. I changed my interface combination from a 192 + HD I/O 16x16, to an OMNI + the HD I/O 16x16 (i.e. replaced the 192). Interfaces are synced with Loop sync.

Likely its unrelated, as we've completely different interface setups, but worth throwing up here, as clearly something sync related is not working.

I mix music and regularly use hardware in parallel on my master bus (use 2 Auxes, one with the HW inserted). Since the hardware/software update, I've been having constant issues with the clocking / delay compensation with the HW insert delay compensation being calculated incorrectly. Sometimes it can be corrected with a change of 1 sample on one of the master Auxes, other times, the 1 sample won't work and I need to constantly change the Loop sync clock source from each interface until it sounds correct. Sometimes it never does and a full restart is required, but that just ends up with another random sync issue

Two days ago I changed out the OMNI for the 192 and haven't had any of the issues, yet. Lots of moving parts here so need more time to isolate what the issue is.

Forrester
I don't think it is unrelated at all. Thanks for chiming in. The whole reason I kept the HDIO 16X16 is so I could do exactly what you are doing for hardware inserts as it was so good at handling the latency. The MTRX didn't and the Burl certainly did not either. All of a sudden it's all stopped working and the common thread seems to be the addition of supposed latency comp in the MTRX. I bet it's all connected.

I hope someone from Avid can chime in as it was working perfectly before.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinStudioHouse View Post
All of a sudden it's all stopped working and the common thread seems to be the addition of supposed latency comp in the MTRX. I bet it's all connected.
The Digi Dly setting is not really a new thing. Previously the MTRX would set it automatically, but now it is also possible to set it in DADman. It is not a parameter you should change under normal conditions. It was introduced as a setting in DADman as it can be useful to change if you have a large set-up with multiple MTRX's connected together in a particular way.

Also the Digi Dly setting has nothing to do with the clocking so it certainly has nothing to do with your problems.