Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-04-2011, 12:54 AM

Default Urgent advice needed please – what would you do

My computer is a Mac, running Tiger OS x version 10.4.11.

I have an Mbox 2 Pro with an LE version 7.1.3.

My story is this: I was given an iPhone 4 on my birthday yesterday, and found out it doesn't work on Tiger, and it would mean that I have to upgrade to (I think) Snow Leopard. No one explained this to my girlfriend who bought the iPhone as a present two weeks ago today. I would have probably not wanted an iPhone 4 had I known we would have to upgrade our computer, because I know that version 7.1.3 isn't compatible. Moreover, I am not sure of the logistics of upgrading my 7.1.3.

Two weeks is the time we have to opt for an exchange or return on the iPhone, so I am hoping for some quick advice (ideally this morning!) before I commit to a return.

What would you do? My options:

1) Return the iPhone 4
2) Buy a laptop with Windows 7 (which I understand works with iPhone 4)
3) Upgrade my Tiger and simultaneously LE 7.1.3 version. And how on earth would I go about this?

Please, any advice would be such a boon this morning!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:11 AM

First give your girlfriend a big hug and kiss for buying you an iPhone (and more importantly maybe an excuse to upgrade to Pro Tools 9).

I hope and assume from the Snow Leopard mention you have an Intel Mac. So here goes....

Buy an iLok 2 if you don't already own an iLok. Create an account on iLok.com. Create an account on Avid.com if you don't already have one. Buy a Pro Tools 9 "crossgrade from LE" from the Avid online store. Follow the whole purchase/registration process there and Avid will deposit an iLok license in your iLok account.

Now all the shopping is done. Uninstall Pro Tools 7. Upgrade or do a new install of OS X to Snow Leopard. Download the latest Pro Tools 9.0.x full installer from your account Avid.com. Run the installer. Go to iLok.com and download your license key to your iLok 2. Start up Pro Tools... Ask here if you get stuck.

Darryl
Old 08-04-2011, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Urgent advice needed please – what would you do

I would:

1) Partition the disk using disk utility and create another partition.
2) Go out and buy Snow Leopard or Lion and install that on the new partition, use this OS when you want to sort your iphone.

I'm assuming you have an intel mac here because PPC macs won't run anything past Leopard. This method is not going to cost you any more than $30.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 AM

Thank very much, both of you.

After some deliberation, and a careful look at my finances, I think I may do what Dougfather suggests.

I have one question before I commit to making a partition, one which may sound a bit silly, but I don't feel confident in proceeding before it's answered.

If I understand it correctly, in order to make a partition I would first have to clean my drive of Tiger and only reinstall it on one side of the partition (Lion on the other). That's fine, but I am wondering if there is a limit to the amount of times I can reinstall my LE 7.1.3. In other words, does the licence or activating code that came with my Pro Tools only allow me to install it on the same computer x amount of times, or indeed only within a period of years after buying it? When I first bought my computer, I had a few teething problems and I remember uninstalling and re-installing my Pro-Tools a few times (can't remember how many!).

Hopefully there's no limit, but is there anything else I need to consider? For instance, I can't remember what I did to register the Pro Tools – or would that not be an issue because I would be prompted again once I reinstall?

Thank again for your help so far.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:36 AM

The biggest consideration at this point is whether or not your Mac is capable of even running Snow Leopard, which seems to have been glossed over.

What Mac do you have? (Click the Apple, click About this Mac...)

If it does not have an Intel processor, you will need to buy a new computer.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 AM

The Pro Tools LE license is based on the interface, you can install the software multiple times on multiple different computers, its the presence of the interface that enables the software to run.

Rebooting between partitions is a bit of pain, but with an iPhone you should not need to sync very often or at all. You can purchase and update apps etc. over the air. If like me the first mongo-sync will be for gigabytes of music off the mac. In which case you've also got to clone (or at least point at) your iTunes music library from both partitions so you can sync to the iPhone and yet play iTunes music when booted on the other partition.

You don't need to "clean" anything. Just reparation the drive when you install the OS. And to be clear you cannot format/repartition your running boot partition. Sure you can get install media and futz around with two installs from scratch but that is a bit of a pain. A faster way is to use an external scratch drive. Use Carbon Copy cloner to clone the existing install. Boot off that cloned disk. Then partition the internal drive and you should be able to clone back the external drive and then install the other OS X version on the unused partition.

All either way all this work to go sideways,... I'd be upgrading to PT 9. You get interface free-flexibility and just advancing an upgrade you would be doing anyhow in future.

Darryl
Old 08-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Thank you again. So with the LE, I don't need to download any drives from the net?

Regarding partitioning, I'm really sorry, but I am a bit lost. I just need you clarify one or two terms.

'You don't need to "clean" anything. Just reparation the drive when you install the OS.' Do you mean that I don't have to uninstall Tiger (which is what I meant by "Clean") and all I have to do is simply run a "repair permissions" task in disk utilities once Lion is on the other partition?

"And to be clear you cannot format/repartition your running boot partition" I don't understand what this means, so sorry... "A faster way is to use an external scratch drive. Use Carbon Copy cloner to clone the existing install. Boot off that cloned disk. Then partition the internal drive and you should be able to clone back the external drive and then install the other OS X version on the unused partition." Oh dear, did I say one or two terms... I am lost.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Apologies, Dism, I missed your post. Processor: 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo is what I have.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willby View Post
Thank you again. So with the LE, I don't need to download any drives from the net?

Regarding partitioning, I'm really sorry, but I am a bit lost. I just need you clarify one or two terms.

'You don't need to "clean" anything. Just reparation the drive when you install the OS.' Do you mean that I don't have to uninstall Tiger (which is what I meant by "Clean") and all I have to do is simply run a "repair permissions" task in disk utilities once Lion is on the other partition?

No I mean you do not "clean" or delete anything the act of repartitioning the disk will blow everything away anyhow. And "clean" does not mean anything, how about using words like delete, partition, format.

"And to be clear you cannot format/repartition your running boot partition" I don't understand what this means, so sorry...

Meaning you cannot create space/modify your boot drive. You need to boot off another drive or go back to basics and install from distribution media.

"A faster way is to use an external scratch drive. Use Carbon Copy cloner to clone the existing install. Boot off that cloned disk. Then partition the internal drive and you should be able to clone back the external drive and then install the other OS X version on the unused partition." Oh dear, did I say one or two terms... I am lost.
Yes you can resize a partition on the disk then add another but not on a booted/running system drive, so you need to clone that drive, boot off the clone and do this. Then reinstall the other new OS. On a second partition you create. Mmm well actually diskutil on newer versions can do this, but I'd not trust it, and I do not recall what your version of OS X has exactly.

The fact you are asking some basic question makes me want to stress for the third time that upgrading your OS on-situ to Snow Leopard and upgrade to Pro Tools 9 might be a better route. The Pro Tools upgrade might be work but there may well be less hassles there especially if you have lots of apps to reinstall, and the danger of trashing your whole system is higher when re/partitioning etc. Be careful.

Darryl
Old 08-11-2011, 01:36 PM

Thanks Darryl, I've decided that at the moment I can't really afford to pay for a crossgrade upgrade, and so my only option seems to be the partitioning.

But as I'm not very clued up about the techincal side of things, I'll have to do more research until I'm satisfied I won't muck things up!

Really kind of you to reply.

James W.