Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-11-2000, 03:03 AM

Default Digi 001 with Logic Audio - MIDI & Audio problems - please help!

Hi everyone,

I have Logic Audio Gold running with Digi001 and using it through Direct I/O. I have two problems that are unabling me to use the setup:

1) The MIDI is going completely wild. I play a certain note on my keyboard, and a completely different one sounds. I've got all the latest Digidesign and Emagic updates for absolutely everything as far as I know!. Must I buy a MIDI interface to solve this problem?

2) When I try recording MIDI (although with the problems explained above), I can see the meters showing that the sound enters LAG, and it's also recorded if I proceed. Nevertheless, I can't hear it during the recording. I've switched the "Audio Input Monitoring" from ON to OFF and viceversa several times, but no go... Is there any solution or am I half dumb forgetting some silly essential thing??

The computer is a G4 @350 MHz with 128 MB RAM.

The current versions of my software/drivers are:

Logic Audio - 4.5
Digidesign Direct I/O - 5.0.1
OMS - 2.3.8
Digi 001 OMS Driver - 5.0.1

Thank you very much for your help.

Paul Alexander
Old 09-12-2000, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Digi 001 with Logic Audio - MIDI & Audio problems - please help!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>1) The MIDI is going completely wild. I play a certain note on my keyboard, and a completely different one sounds. I've got all the latest Digidesign and Emagic updates for absolutely everything as far as I know!. Must I buy a MIDI interface to solve this problem?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

As regards your second question, if you're talking about recording your existing Midi tracks to audio, then make sure "Punch-In on The Fly" is disabled. If you mean just recording Midi tracks, then see the answer above.

Old 09-12-2000, 06:05 AM
Avid

We are aware of the random MIDI notes on input when running Logic Audio and using the MIDI ports of the Digi001. Although no solution has yet been reached, we are currently working with them to resolve this problem.

In the meantime, the only workaround is to use a third party MIDI interface for all MIDI Input to Logic Audio (I have not exoeienced any problems outputting MIDI data through the Digi001).

Brent
Old 09-12-2000, 09:02 AM

Brent,

Thanks for your response. Is there any specific interface you recommend? As a matter of fact, we have also had problems with output notes...

Oh! And should I upgrade to 9.0.4 instead of sticking to 9.0?

I appreciate Mars response as well!!

Thanks once again for your help,

Paul
Old 09-13-2000, 07:10 AM
Avid

Depending on how much MIDI gear you have, (IMO) a couple good USB MIDI interfaces would be the Opcode MIDIPort 32 or the Emagic Unitor 8.

However, I have heard the best way to go is to use an older Serial MIDI Interface with either a gPort (Griffin Technologies) or Stealth Port (GeeThree) Modem to Serial port converter. However, this might not be an option for you if you have an internal modem installed, in which case, USB is your only option.

Brent
Old 09-13-2000, 02:51 PM

Hi Paul..

Hey I have a G4 350 as well trying to run
Logic Audio Platinum 4.5. Been having
trouble with our USB 2x2 midisport interface.

My suggestion would be to get the AMT8 interface as long as you're doing music
and don't need timecode, etc because it's
much more cost effective. Also, I would
recommend getting the stealth port Brent mentioned, and using the serial connector
on the AMT8 instead of the USB (due to various problems Apple has had with USB).

I'd tell you how this works if I had the money for an AMT8 right now I'm saving
up to get one, this was the advice I was given from someone at Emagic.
Old 09-13-2000, 04:28 PM

Hi again,

I thank you all for your detailed replies. I'll look into your suggestions and hope to get everything up and running soon.

Thanks once again,

Paul
Old 09-14-2000, 02:59 PM

Hey you all who are worried about that incredible problem !
I've got G4/350 with LAP 4.5 and Digi 001 and have this problem of random midi input notes since january... Emagic said "we're working on that" and so do Digi. Now, PLEASE HURRY UP and be on the same line. I'm tired of waiting and I don't need more than 10 midi tracks, so I want to use this midi built-in interface with my favorite soft.

------------------
Mich
Old 09-16-2000, 06:12 PM

I think Digidesign is playing with it's users, it does not take 9 months to fix a bug, I think there are not willing to fix this bug because they want to make an advantage of using PTLE, they are hoping we quit Logic Audio to go to PTLE, they can dream !
In the mean wile there are users going to a different audion interface because of this bug ! If Digi wants to lose users they can continue playing that game.
We can all boycot 5.1 !!

------------------
Cyril
France
Old 09-18-2000, 08:47 PM

I haven't checked out this thread for weeks. How could I have been so hopeful to think that Emagic & Digidesign might have solved this problem after 9 months?!!!!

Really.

"DEAR DIGIDESIGN, I ASK YOU FOR THE LAST TIME. FIX THIS PROBLEM. I AM ONE OF MANY USERS WHO WANT TO RUN PTLE AND LOGIC AUDIO ON THE SAME HARDWARE, THE DIGI001. IS THAT SO DIFFICULT TO SORT OUT? YOU'VE WRITTEN THE PROGRAM BUT ARE BEGINNING TO COMMUNICATE THE WRONG MESSAGE TO YOUR USERS. I DO NOT WISH TO DUMP PTLE IN FAVOUR OF LOGIC AUDIO, BUT IF I HAVE TO, I WILL. PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM. THANKS."

Will this get a result?

Join the campaign everybody! Perhaps we should do a head count of users in this position.

Flabbergasted.

Peace.