Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 01-11-2003, 11:38 AM

Default thinking about buying c/24

Im thinking of getting the c24 but have a few ?.do you have to have pro tools software already or does it come with it.And is that all you need is the c24 and software(with computer)or do you need other things like to get audio to and from cpu.I was reading that it hooks to cpu with a ethernet,does that get the audio to and from and control pro tools alltogether...
Old 01-12-2003, 11:15 AM

Default Re: thinking about buying c/24

Quote:
Originally posted by wannajam:
Im thinking of getting the c24 but have a few ?.do you have to have pro tools software already or does it come with it.And is that all you need is the c24 and software(with computer)or do you need other things like to get audio to and from cpu.I was reading that it hooks to cpu with a ethernet,does that get the audio to and from and control pro tools alltogether...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">as far at the C24 it retails for around 7,000 i belive, and thats JUST for the control 24
in order for the control 24 to work you WILL need the software.
you will need one of the follwoing systems
Mix 24
Mix 24 plus
Mix 24 plus 3

HD 1
HD 2
HD 3

with out thoes systems your 8 grand system is worthless
for all thoes system you will also need to buy a audio interface for the mix group you need to get the interfaces that are black steel casing i for get all the audio interface model numbers
and for HD you need the 96 audio interface reatil price 2,700 or the 192 retail price almost 3 grand

so all set and down you should have a configuration of at least this

Mix 24 or HD 1
Audio interface
Hard drives of some kind
Control 24 or pro control

now the C24 and pro control is only a remote control for PT NO AUDIO HAS EVER OR WILL EVER PASS OVER THE FADERS so in that repect it will only control PT. the c24 has mic pres which you can use but agian its just a patch bay in the back
the audio comes from the mic or audio source into the mic pres, out of the audio out of the c24 into the audio interfaces out of that in to the card for PT in your CPU out of the CPU on to the Hard drives. you need to look at the C24 as a remote for your PT sytem as you would have one for you TV. thats all it does.

it does use the ethernet but thats only for communcation between the CPU and C24 its faster and more stable then MIDI thats why its being used.

Hope this helps any questions post them and i'll respond

sorry for miss spellings
Old 01-13-2003, 12:03 AM

Can it be used for the 001 system,I heard it would but would like to know for sure.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:22 AM

There are a couple of guys here that use 001 and control24 do a quick search.. I would play with one connected at the store first.. I do not know if I would spend so much on the control24 if I only had a 001... But if you can see a worth for it and it works fine go for it,
Old 01-14-2003, 12:01 AM

The problem I see with the 002 is it is not upgradable later.. Also if you want to impress clients and not have to bank the Control24 is cool as well. Plugs spread out over a lot of channels for Midi guys etc etc.
I do think its weird to have a 001 and a C24 but I can understand if that is what will do your job. If your only recording a few tracks at a time a Mbox and C24 might be good. I mean the pre's are utility type, the control surface is what you buy it for.
If you do buy a Control24 and run a 001 as backend you can upgrade to a mix/HD system later and keep the control surface...
Old 01-14-2003, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wannajam:
Can it be used for the 001 system,I heard it would but would like to know for sure.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i second the last guy, yout talking about the 001 retail price....less then 800.00 and connecting the 001 to the C24, would not be a very good and wise money choice. you would be off buying the 002, it will do the same thing as the C24 and cost a whole hell of a lot less too. agian the C24 and pro control 002 are only a remote for pt, so yes you can cross platform them from one system to another with inthe PT family, but why would you want to spend 8 grand on a C24 and only spend 8 hondred on the software, what you should is....

buy the 002
connect it and use it with your 001
make money of that from projects

then once you have enough to buy a mix system or even HD system then go for i. you can find alot of stuff on ebay.com for half of retail..
thats what i think you should do.
also sorry if your useing a 001 system i dont kow anything about thats system so i can help you in the prefrances.

sorry for spelling
Old 01-16-2003, 07:29 AM

Hi... I'm running a studio in singapore with a C24/HD 2 core card/192 I/O configuration... it's worked great for the type of work i do and the control 24 really is an amazing device to work with...

both davemc and kevin lucero have valid points in their advice...but honestly, i think you should review your own applications before you decide to go for the C24... i am assuming here that you're working on a budget...

one thing you don't want to do is to run a fast-paced lamborghini on a quiet village road with a speed limit...

configuration-wise...yup... a 001/C24 hook up seems to be on two extremes... i recently saw the procontrol 002 and i think that looks pretty versatile... i mean it pretty much has the same essential features... not to mention, you can always upgrade to an HD/C24 or procontrol (or whatever new gadget they come up with by that time) config. later and sell off the 002... or you can shift it to a VO booth within your studio setup...
Old 01-16-2003, 03:07 PM

I have had one for a Month - Two Words - GET IT!
Old 01-16-2003, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChenteleyA:
Hi... I'm running a studio in singapore with a C24/HD 2 core card/192 I/O configuration... it's worked great for the type of work i do and the control 24 really is an amazing device to work with...

both davemc and kevin lucero have valid points in their advice...but honestly, i think you should review your own applications before you decide to go for the C24... i am assuming here that you're working on a budget...

one thing you don't want to do is to run a fast-paced lamborghini on a quiet village road with a speed limit...

configuration-wise...yup... a 001/C24 hook up seems to be on two extremes... i recently saw the procontrol 002 and i think that looks pretty versatile... i mean it pretty much has the same essential features... not to mention, you can always upgrade to an HD/C24 or procontrol (or whatever new gadget they come up with by that time) config. later and sell off the 002... or you can shift it to a VO booth within your studio setup...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">just wondering, are you doing music, or post work??

as to the C24+001 one of my friends has the 001+002 which he used for post and music, he clames it is better then you would think it packs a big punch, espicaly for people that need a control surface, but have a low budget. while he is now HD 3 pro control maxed out, he still use's his 001+002 for music becuase of its compact and can do things on a tight budget for people. i doo see that you want to upgrade to a larger system but look at your Biz plan and see what you will really be doing. spending 8 grand on a control surface is a lot of money its like buying a new car when you walk 90% of the time....i wont make bring you anything just a liablity. i would honestly check out the 002 and the C24 and go with what will sute you NOW, as said above you can sell later, and if you can find a sucker to buy is at almost your cost....then go for it... any questions?? leave a post!

sorry for spelling
Old 01-17-2003, 03:34 PM

i was going for the 001 and c24 until i could upgrade to a tdm pro tools.I could go ahead and buy a HD system but i wouldnt have enough to get a mixer of some sort preferably the control24.Thank you guys for the input please keep it up..by the way what im doing is selling a mackie HDR2496 with AIO cards and cables with a mackie 24 channel board and outboard gear to go ProTools.Because i heard it was better and for the plugins and professionalism...THANKS TONY