Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2021

Old 08-10-2021, 11:45 AM

Default 2 versions of same song - recommendations

I want to create a single version and an extended version of the same underlying music. I've finished up the extended version. For the single version I'm not doing anything fancy, just selecting out sections from the extended version.

Looking for recommendations on best practices. I've done due diligence trying to find a solution but haven't seen anything. Maybe I don't have the correct search terms - still a bit of a novice here.

If it matters, the extended is roughly 6' 30" and the single will be a bit over 3'.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:11 PM

Default Re: 2 versions of same song - recommendations

Just use the Save As option to save the "other" version. IOW, if the long one is saved as the same session name that you have had all along, when you shorten the song, Save As "song name single" or whatever makes the most sense to you. I save multiple versions of most every session I do. Since the first mix is rarely the "keeper", my mixes each get saved like this:
"Song Name Mix 1"
"Song Name Mix 2"
"Song Name Mix 3'
"Song Name Mix 4'
Sometimes, they get more specific, like
"Song Name Vocal Up"
When I get too many versions listed, I move older session files to the backups folder(where PT saves its auto-saved versions), or I add a new folder(inside the main session folder) named "Older mixes". BTW, I don't actually use the "" marks(those are just to help describe the action of naming things)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-10-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eheilner View Post
I want to create a single version and an extended version of the same underlying music. ,,,,,, - still a bit of a novice here......
Get familiar with shuffle mode, ( in the manual - it can be helpful for some edits), and the 'shift' command, and also selecting between markers so you can copy and and paste verses, choruses etc.

It's helpful sometimes (with large sessions) to first make a stereo mix and work out your basic choices there. Bounce your session as a stereo wav.
Now create a new session. Go to the File menu and import just the markers and tempo info from your multi-track session. Now import the stereo mix
and your markers will all line up with it for you to reference easily.

Once you know where the edits will be, go back to your multitrack session and do a "Save Copy In" ( select "Copy Audio Files") and work on that instead of the original 6 min version.

Do your editing, solo those edits and crossfade the ones that need it.

Last edited by Robruce; 08-10-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:31 AM

Thank you albee1952 & Robruce. That's pretty much what I was thinking. I had the vague notion that there would be some way to keep the two versions inside one session and switch back and forth - so as not to duplicate material.

As I see it, the downside to this approach is that if (that's a big IF) you realize after the fact that you need to change something that is in both the extended and single versions of the song, you have to do it in two places? So you need to be really, really sure that you will not be making any more changes. Am I understanding things correctly?
Old 08-11-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eheilner View Post
Thank you albee1952 & Robruce. ........... Am I understanding things correctly?
Storage is so cheap these days, don't give a nano-thought about duplicating material.

If you try and do it all in one session, your markers, automation and many many other things may not (won't) translate easily and keeping things straight for both versions can (will) turn into a confusing nightmare in a matter of minutes. VOE here.

It's MUCH less work and more sensible to simply create a new session with copies of all your sound files, where you can now split regions (soundbites), and create the fades you'll need without having to concern yourself with protecting the original version's files.

Yes, if you stumble on a change you want on both, then go back into the 6 minute version and simply recreate it. Much easier workflow than trying to manage two versions of different lengths within one session. If it's really an improvement it will be worth your time to replicate it.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:10 AM

At the risk of being contrary to what everyone else has said on here, and assuming the "extended" version is the main version, I would actually create the 7" edit* after the main version within the same session. Mainly because it really is a complete PITA if you tweak the mix and then have to save and open a different session to do the same tweaks on the edited version. Contrary to what the guy above me said, I've never had problems with automation not copying over, as long as you have "automation follows edit" enabled. So I'm not really sure what he means.

You can either duplicate the whole thing over, say starting at bar 201, and then chop down, or if you know exactly where the edits are going to be, copy over the relevant sections from the main section and paste in the appropriate place. Obviously in both cases you'd need to do some smoothing over at the edit points either by gently nudging the start and end points, or crossfades, or a combination of both. I find that creating a "group" on each track of the duplicated version really helps in showing exactly where the edits are, so it becomes super quick to locate and tweak them.

Take care if you have tempo or meter changes though as this sort of stuff can get very messy if you forget to copy over that information. (Which is easily done.)

*7" edit. Hahaha. I'm such a grandad.

Last edited by midnightrambler; 08-11-2021 at 09:23 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-11-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
At the risk of being contrary to what everyone else has said on here,.......

I've never had problems with automation not copying over, as long as you have "automation follows edit" enabled. So I'm not really sure what he means......................

Take care if you have tempo or meter changes though as this sort of stuff can get very messy if you forget to copy over that information. (Which is easily done.)
Automation Follows Edit will not automatically even out volume differences between pasted sections, and those jumps can be quite noticeable when volumes are different from preceding or following sections from different parts of the song. Yes OP will still have to adjust those with either method, but it may be more fool-proof to keep each version separate, especially for a novice.

Creating a new session via "Save Copy In" generates new non-critical audio files, and all tempo and marker info so that OP won't need to worry about losing it, or having it "get very messy" as you correctly describe how things can go.

OP states the long version is completed with no changes expected. Leaving it the f*ck alone is safer and likely a less confusing process for a newbie.... but to each their own.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:48 AM

Well yes obviously automation will need to be checked regardless of whether the edit is performed in a new session or on the same one, but at least being in the same one means you can constantly reference what the levels were for comparison, rather than having to close and reopen sessions, which can be just tedious. I'm not starting a war over it though, whatever method gets the job done is fine by me.

Last edited by midnightrambler; 08-12-2021 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Well yes obviously ...... I'm not starting a war over it though, whatever method gets the job done is fine by me.
Agreed! And who would stand a chance against your Longbows anyway? cheers ;-)