Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2012, 03:55 PM

Default The Dub Stage Mixes in Auro-3D 11.1 on "Dreamworks Rise of the Guardians"

The Dub Stage Mixes “DreamWorks Animation” of "Rise of the Guardians"
In Auro-3D 11.1

Chris Jacobson CAS and Marti D. Humphrey CAS with Sound Supervisor
Richard King mixed it at “The Dub Stage” in Burbank, on the newly installed Meyer Acheron Speakers all within Pro Tools on their 64 Fader Avid Icon Console. The recent 37 speaker Meyer installation was used to it’s fullest.
The Auro-3D system is based upon a Pro Tools plug in that allows you to mix in a Discrete 11.1 format with panning to all speakers. The original mix was done by Industry Veteran’s Andy Nelson and Jim Bolt at Fox Studios.
The Dub Stage was the third Barco Auro-3D mix installation in the World and the First one in Hollywood. This is the first Auro-3D 11.1 mix done domestically.

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangele....html?page=all

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...n-barco-385113
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 PM

Default Re: The Dub Stage Mixes in Auro-3D 11.1 on "Dreamworks Rise of the Guardians"

Congratulation Marti!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:36 PM

Default Re: The Dub Stage Mixes in Auro-3D 11.1 on "Dreamworks Rise of the Guardians"

Very Very Cool Marti!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:18 AM

Sounds exciting. Congrats!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 PM

Here is the video on the Sound Mixing in "Auro-3D in 11.1 for Rise of the Guardians":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke1Eg8Mq-mw
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 PM

Watched the video Marti. Your room looks GREAT! Congrats. I love my Meyer Acheron speakers as well. Thanks for putting me on to them. (And thanks to Steve Shurtz at Meyer for pioneering them) Keep up the good work my friend!

Mike
Old 11-15-2012, 04:15 PM

amazing! too bad i didn't hear them in person.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM

Hi Marti:

Two quick questions:
  1. How does the Auro-3D system work, is it an addition after Pro Tools that adds more channels, or is it integrated with Pro Tools, how does that work in terms of automating sound sources etc?
  2. Was the location sound recorded using Auro-3D technology as well?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:05 AM

has anyone used/heard the smaller edit suite version of the meyers? am curious , as will be buying something in the next year....
Old 11-16-2012, 02:49 PM

Capt, I have the smaller Meyer Acheron Designer series, designed for smaller mix rooms and sound design suites. They are available only in a set of 3 as far as I know, made for Left, Center, Right. These are not near field speakers, but work best in a room that is set up for film sound design and pre-mixing like the sound design rooms at Skywalker Ranch. They work great behind a perforated film screen that's at least 10 to 12 feet wide or wider I would say. They are finished in all black, including the horn elements so there is nothing on them to reflect back light from the projector through the screen. They are self-powered with no volume controls and no EQ controls, so they need a monitor controller, like the XMON. The AC power cords cascade between the speakers, so you only need one ac plug for power for all three. There is no wattage information on the built-in amps, but they can handle high spl's with no problem in my experience.

I love the way they sound. They have a smooth high end and a nice tight bass for a 12 inch woofer. They overcome the "honk" around 2 Khz that is prevalent in many of the large JBL cinema speakers. I think they are much more "musical" sounding than what I was using before, and should translate perfectly from the small premix or sound design room to a large dub stage using the Acheron line of speakers. I love 'em!!