Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-20-2012, 03:03 AM

Default Midi notes get stuck on during bounce to disk - tracks over 10 minutes

Hi,

I have some long tracks I am working on (11 and 12 minutes long)
Each time I try to bounce to disc, after about 10 and a half minutes the midi notes get suck on and midi playback seems to stop (with the notes still sounding) however playback and the reproduction of audio tracks continues.

When I play back the resulting wav file at the 10'30" mark you hear the midi notes stuck on just as in the recording pass.

Tracks under 10 minutes seem to work fine.

Have tried bouncing to wav and aiff.
Have tried changing hw buffer size from 512 to 1024.
Have tried turning off energy saving and hd sleep.
Have tried all formats.. interleaved, separated mono etc.
Have tried convert after bounce and convert during bounce.

Ideas anyone?

Macbook pro (2012)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB Ram
OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion
PT 10.3
Mbox2 (Using Mbox_2_Driver_v90_69594)
WD USB3 HD (1Tb with 2 500Gb partitions)
Using passive usb hub for mbox2 and iLok
(Macbook pro only has usb3 ports)

--
OS X 10.8.2 (mountain lion)
PT 10.3
Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Midi notes get stuck on during bounce to disk - tracks over 10 minutes

I fixed a major problem with my mbox2 and thought that would solve this problem but it didn't

Still having this problem.

Has nobody else experienced this?
I have no idea what could be causing it.
PT 10.3
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Midi notes get stuck on during bounce to disk - tracks over 10 minutes

Are you making a selection instead of bouncing the whole piece? If so, and you might be making a selection that leaves out any MIDI note off messages. That's assuming you aren't using a vi that has stuck note problems - Absynth 3 used to do that for me. Wasn't consistent either which is the maddening part.

You may want to try recording the master/main out to a new audio track instead of bounce and see if the problem still exists.

QAPLA!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 AM

I get this every time I bounce and fade midi volume out without allowing it to get to the "Note Off"

I also get this "trail of midi notes" sometimes when I bounce and it hits the note off....

For me its not an issue cause once I bounce from the mix session I bring that bounce into a mastering session and simply clip the tail off as part of the routine...

Annoying if you don't want to go to a 2nd session to fix it, but I would rather bounce to disk than record the mix to tracks through busing.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:01 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Im trying to bounce the whole piece,
No selections in the middle of midi tracks
No midi fades,
No trail of midi notes...

All the notes sounding at the 10' 23" point get stuck at the same time.

Like an everlasting chord sounding... no more notes added and none disappearing.. just a continuous pad of sound.

Thought playback had stopped but if there are audio tracks in the mix then these continue to play.

This isn't just one track... it is happening for every track over 10 minutes long. I have 4 different tracks like this at the moment. All with different instrumentation and mixes. Most common instrument is 'Expand' which has always been reliable for me in the past.

I'm actually starting to prefer the workaround now which is.... bouncing inside the mix session by recording the main output to a track through bussing and then exporting the mixed clips.
I'm finding it a bit more versatile as I can now normalize the mixed track before exporting the clips and even correct a mix on the fly or punch in a change and then consolidate the clip instead of remixing the whole track again.
PT 10.3
Old 10-05-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafic View Post
I'm actually starting to prefer the workaround now which is.... bouncing inside the mix session by recording the main output to a track through bussing and then exporting the mixed clips.
I'm finding it a bit more versatile as I can now normalize the mixed track before exporting the clips and even correct a mix on the fly or punch in a change and then consolidate the clip instead of remixing the whole track again.
This definitely sounds like you are lacking the note off. I understand what you are describing as that happens to me often when I stop playback before a note off (or it could be a sustain peddle off) the note just plays forever until I playback and it hits the point of new midi data.

Your "work around" is a similar process as what I mentioned above only I bounce to disk, then open the bounce in a new session (no plugins and multitracks to deal with just a simple 2 track session without having a complete mix living in the same session)and then I do my normalize and whatever mastering I want in that session, then export clips or a mastered mix from there. I have heard so many different opinions on bouncing versus printing to an audio track but in the end it comes down to what makes you comfortable for your own work flow.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your input Jason.

Your workflow sounds just like what Im doing.

Mixdown and then create a 2trk arrangement for mastering.

Its how I used to work a few years ago until I discovered bounce.

As to the problem.... (which I have virtually given up on now as I am more than happy with the work around)...
Im not completely discarding the possibility that it might be a midi note off problem but it doesn't really make sense to me.

If that was the case then surly when I play the track or record the mix down then the same problem should occur.

Also, it is not just one track. It happens on every single track over 10 minutes long... and always between 10'20'" and 10'30" like clockwork.

Its a bummer though because each time I want to test out a theory it takes me 10 minutes!!!
PT 10.3