Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-08-2010, 12:33 PM

Default Thinking of buying a Mac Pro...

Hi,

I'm a PC user (who used to be a mac user) who is thinking of switching back. My Quadcore just bit the dust and honestly, I don't want to go through the hassle of building a custom system and getting it up and running. The last thing I want to do is deal with technical issues that derail the creative process.

I need a rock-solid system for writing/pre-production that I can rely on and the Mac Pro seems to fit the bill.

To any Mac Pro users: What kind of performances are you seeing with PTLE 8? Is there a particular model that has better performance? I plan on using the Eleven Plugin along with VI's and samples, so I need a lot of power.

I am using an mbox mini

Is there any advice you can offer me?

Thanks!
Vienna Ensemble Pro | Eleven LE | Metal Amp Room
Hybrid | Prominy S C | Steven Slate Drums Platinum | Strike
Structure LE
| sE Reflection Filter | Peavey ReValver MK III
Old 09-12-2010, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Thinking of buying a Mac Pro...

Well Stinky,
Any of the 8 core Nehalems would be great just remember that PT will see 16 virtual cores, so when setting your RTAS engine set it to 7 not 15, and this will help. Eleven is a demanding plug-in regardless, but this will help.

I'm using a Quad core Woodcrest and really like it. It handles all of my normal needs - 20 to 30 audio tracks w/ 2-3 plugs a piece, 4-5 Aux/FX Returns, 5-10 VI's. I do need to adjust playback buffer often tho. I'm not as lucky as some of the i7 folk who just keep it at 128.

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 09-12-2010, 05:11 AM

I've been a Windows user all of my life until about 2-years ago. To be frank you can absolutely build a wonderful PC box---for relatively less money than a Mac, but there are differences. Mac's are built 100% the same and integrated with THEIR operating system. To know that they are built with the same parts, the same OS, and that developers write for that system is a blessing to me. I just don't have the problems I had in the Windows world.
blyons@gcpro.com
www.theaudioprofessional.com
Old 09-20-2010, 05:05 PM

I use Macs and PCs all day. I have a copy of PT LE 8.x using Windows 7 64bit on a laptop. It's fine but I rarely use it.

Since the beginning Pro Tools has always run better on a Mac and, while things have definitely improved for Windows over the years, I still feel audio, particularly Pro Tools, works better on a Mac.

Why? Well for one, no viruses, no need for virus protection etc. (at least not in the same way PCs need it). Second, Mac OS X Snow Leopard is a very, very good operating system. I'm using an older, 1st Gen Intel Mac Pro I bought used for $1100 and it rocks with Pro Tools HD|2 version 8.1. I get plenty of VI instances and TDM is a dream, as it has been for years, with certain plugins. It boots fast and sessions start fast and performance is awesome.

Now here's the thing. I use my Mac exclusively for audio, I don't do anything else with it. All my gaming, business related stuff, photo editing - I do on a PC. Why? Because I like having a dedicated computer for just audio. I keep a rack full of computers outside of my control room on a rolling rack and run cables in so it's nice and quiet. Consider this setup, you could certainly use both computers. But for audio, get a Mac.