Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2006, 06:03 PM

Default New and confused!!

Ok, I got an mbox 2 for my 16th birthday and I have everything set up the way it should be, but when I go to select my inputs and outputs I don't have any options. I don't know what to do!! Please help...(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum!!)
Old 01-27-2006, 07:40 PM

Default Re: New and confused!!

Welcome and congratulations.
I wish I could have had an Mbox for my 16th birthday!
Take a deep breath and don't worry, before you know it you'll be on your way.

BTW there is a forum for Mbox issues.

I would go through the manual. Pro Tools can be quite overwhelming at first.
You have to set up how things are routed in the I/O Set up.
Then you have to assign your input on your tracks.
It will most likely default your outputs. (I think it defaults the inputs too but double check)
I'm not familiar with the Mbox but you will need to familiarize yourself with the monitoring options on the box itself. I'm pretty sure there is a HP jack etc. (I'm not trying to demean just don't want to overlook the obvious.
If you want to post back about what progress you have made and where you might be stuck I'm sure there will be plenty of help here on the DUC.
But the manual is your friend.

When you say it dosen't give you any options, can you be more specific?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:38 PM

Thanks for your reply!!

As for the "no options" thing the easiest way I could show you what I'm talking about is through Screenshots.

Ok, so I opened ProTools, started a new session, and selected a new track.(mono, audio track, in samples, like the instruction book said.) The instructions then said to look in the 'mix window' and select inputs and outputs for your instruments. (it looks like this ) But I clicked on the 'no input button' to select my input and it looked like this. I can't select my inputs and outputs. So....I don't know how to fix that.

P.S. It was pretty exciting to get an Mbox for my birthday! I want to become a music producer (if i ever figure this stuff out!) and so my parents decided to get one....
Old 01-27-2006, 09:18 PM

I/O setup as Robby said should get you going.

Chapter 7 page 69 of the reference guide (also available from the help menu in the program) should put you on the right track. You should be able to just press the default button on each of the tabs.

Hope that helps.

Happy Birthday.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-28-2006, 09:35 PM

I GOT IT TO WORK!! I think...I need to get headphones to plug in and see if there is actually a recording!! Thanks so much for your help everyone!! I'm going to have fun recording now!!

Erica xxx
Old 01-29-2006, 08:05 AM

Old 01-29-2006, 01:07 PM

Well shoot! I don't know how to listen to what I've recorded! I have my headphones plugged in, I press record, press space, play, press space to stop, and now I don't know how to listen to what I've recorded...grr...
Old 01-29-2006, 03:29 PM

Erica,
Do you see the meters moving in the "recorded track" ?
What does the "output" of that track is assigned to ?
Do you have "input only" monitoring enabled ?
Where is the "monitor" knob set at on the Mbox ?
You'll eventually get it under control, don't worry.. Read the "Getting Started" book cover to cover..
good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 01-29-2006, 03:30 PM

breathe in
breathe out
breathe in
breathe out

So when you recorded a track, did you hear it as it was being recorded? Could you see it being recorded? Do you now have an audio file?
If you answer yes to any of these then:
Make sure you have not only assigned your I/O set up for input but also for output and assign the track to the appropriate output.
I'm not familiar with the Mbox but make sure that there aren't any switching you may have overlooked.

You also might want to spend some time checking this out too.

Once you get it, you will be lovin' life.
hth
Old 01-31-2006, 02:31 PM

Got everything going! Turns out my friend knew how to work it all along! lol But thanks for your help everyone! the I/O Setup stuff was really helpful! I guess I'll just disappear now!

erica xx