Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-14-2004, 02:25 PM

Default not going out the window anymore

[QUOTE]
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Not sure who recommended that motherboard, but I assure you he or she doesn't know what they hell they are talking about.
Got to be careful on the DUC and weed through the info like you were walking through a bull pasture.

Yes that was me and yes I was being sarcastic. When one person in a thousand runs into a problem with this motherboard I have a hard time believing it is the motherboard. I've seen sttranger things happen though. Good luck either way.

Allen
Why didn't you just post that in the first place? I love how you can be so constructive. You made another post on your best desktops thread which carried the same tone and I'm sure it was aimed at me about how some people can put their computers together and they just work. Every time I've posted on your threads you've not responded.

I guess you only help people if they are kissing your *****.

User error? probably...thats why I was asking for help. My whole point was that I was trying to figure out what was wrong---sw? mb chipset? configuration? so I asked. That is generally how it works.

If 1000 people used the setup correctly that you know of, you should probably have some clue what they did to make it work and could have offered to help, but instead I got your witty sarcasim. Anyway how many of those "my system is working fine" posts are working well in all areas?

Simply a decent davec test doesn't qualify as working right. If I ran the davec test as posted (when my system was not working right) it would qualify as in working order. PT 6.4 32+3. @ 512 buffer. I actually cared to test it beyond that.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:14 PM

Default Re: not going out the window anymore

You are aware that Alen recieves no compensation for the information he has helped to compile and make available here?

Old 06-14-2004, 11:01 PM

I have the a7v600 board as well. I my self was having the same problems you were. I had about a 24 track session with no plugs ,the buffer set to 1024 and I was getting buffer errors. Now I've been using pro tools for a long time and I know exactly how to set up a computer for audio ,not just for pro tools . I'm using a 20 gig western digital and a seagate 80 gig drive for audio. What finally fixed the problem for me was uninstalling the via buss master ide controller and changing it to standard dual channel....
That took care of my buffer errors. However if you can still exchange your board I'd do it and get an asus or abit with the nvidia chipset. Personally I don't think this board is all that great. I've had nothing but problems with this board. Just for the record I'm also running a Barton xp2800 and 1 gig of Kingston oem memory. Try what I suggested and let me know what happens. I was in the same spot you were a couple of months ago ,so how can imagine how frustrated you must be ,but it should be possible to get it working. Like I said it's not a bad board ,it's just not all that great.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:07 PM

Quote:
You are aware that Alen recieves no compensation for the information he has helped to compile and make available here?

Yes I'm aware of that as well as the fact that he's helped many MANY people build computers. If it wasn't for him not as many of us would have protools and some of us would be overpaying for macs. I was saying that he could have just passed on the thread or said "hey...we know that mb is working well...you might keep looking for a sw solution"

If I find a thread where someone is looking for help and I have an answer that MIGHT be of some assistance, I post it. I think most of us do that, and he usually does too. That's being part of the community.

BTW, I'm still having the hit play and nothing happens problem occasionally it is reduced some what but not fixed completely. I just reloaded a friends pt system (freshly formatted and installed just like mine) almost every spec is the exact same other than the mb, (his is an asus/via 333 chipset) and he's not having the non responsive play problem. The user influence is the same because it's me---I'm going to try switching out some hard drives I have to see what happens.

BTW my old board has an nforce2 chipset (it's an abit nf7) I replaced that with this board. I can put it back in but I'm not sure if it's the "good" nforce chipset. The digi compatibility list says nforce chipset, mine is an nforce2. I haven't found a plain "nforce" one but I'm not sure.

I've tried the standard pci controller and I don't remember it making a difference but I'll try it again.

Thanks very much for the input though. I'll keep testing and look into a diff board.