Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2021

Old 08-09-2021, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Instrument Tracks don't receive MIDI (but MUDI tracks do)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Oh god the number of thread I've started or added to complaining about this. I still get it on occasion even now.
So, massivekerry and midnightrambler, you're both saying it's a matter of instrument tracks loosing the routing, and it's repaired by manually resetting connections in the "instrument" part of the track? If so, then that's not the worst thing in the world.
Pro Tools 2020.11.0.157, Mac OS 10.15.7.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
So, massivekerry and midnightrambler, you're both saying it's a matter of instrument tracks loosing the routing, and it's repaired by manually resetting connections in the "instrument" part of the track? If so, then that's not the worst thing in the world.
It is when you can't remember what was routed where. I often have, say, kick and snare drums routed to multiple instrument tracks, and to come back 6 months later for a recall, or adding some additional production or vocals etc to a mix-in-progress, and not have the track playing as it should, and then having to play "Sherlock" to try and work out which culprits aren't triggering, is such a pain in the neck. (I mean, okay, it's a first world problem, but isn't everything on here?!)
Old 08-09-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
It is annoying when I activate a track in my template and play the (MIDI) keyboard and nothing comes out. Usually I know to check to see if the routing has been lost.

But it's a tremendous pain in the ass when you open a session that you haven't worked on for a few weeks/months/years, and something sounds off, but you can't tell what, until you realize that one of the 8 MIDI/Instrument tracks in a section (of 100+ MIDI/Instrument tracks) lost it's routing, so your percussion section is missing part of its midrange and part of the polyrhythm, or your second violin divisi that doubles the first violins at an octave for 4 bars isn't routed any longer.

At least if your color scheme is set a certain way post 2021.6, the unrouted tracks are now more obvious in the session, but it's still a problem.

12-core 3.46GHz Cheese Grater, 64GB RAM, HD | Native, HD I/O
Old 08-16-2021, 02:43 AM

I mean....10+ years I've been getting this bug now, with different plugins on different systems with different configurations. It was working fine the last time this session was open. Why ProTools? Why? WHY?? WHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1629106890
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-08-15 at 18.32.18.jpg (14.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-16-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
To answer the OP I have always been on Mac so don't know about windows
but I don't remember not being able to record midi notes to instrument tracks since they were offered ?

But I have (if only rarely ) had and instrument track with notes and a substantiated VI. not make sound.....
I had not checked the instrument routing, so my fix was to either close (and not save) the session and reopen it, or close (not save) and quit PT and relaunch
Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2021.6 .....Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen processor,,128GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory,,2TB SSD storage,,Radeon Pro 5700 XT with 16GB of GDDR6 memory,, on Catalina 10.15.7

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 08-16-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I mean....10+ years I've been getting this bug now, with different plugins on different systems with different configurations. It was working fine the last time this session was open. Why ProTools? Why? WHY?? WHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1629106890
I know, right?... It's been happening for a long time. Reliably recalling assignments is just basic DAW functioning, or at least it should be.

For what it's worth I've actually had an open support ticket on this for the last 16 months. I won't go into all the details but it seems clear to me that they don't get it and aren't particularly interested in trying to. My workaround is just to commit the audio at an earlier point in the process than is ideal.

And to Ben's comment, yes, it's not the end of the world but for the amount I pay each year to stay in the Avid ecosystem I don't think it's unreasonable to hope that it would eventually get fixed.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 08-16-2021, 11:29 AM

What bugs me the most is that it appears that nothing is being done to address it.

I discovered today that one of the 5 composers in my company who uses PT doesn't ever experience this issue. The other 4 do. We're trying to figure out the discrepancies between our rigs and maybe find the culprit.

The first thing we noticed is that he doesn't use an external MIDI interface (just USB from his controller directly to the computer) whereas the other guys have an external MIDI box of some sort. Perhaps this is related.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
What bugs me the most is that it appears that nothing is being done to address it.

I discovered today that one of the 5 composers in my company who uses PT doesn't ever experience this issue. The other 4 do. We're trying to figure out the discrepancies between our rigs and maybe find the culprit.

The first thing we noticed is that he doesn't use an external MIDI interface (just USB from his controller directly to the computer) whereas the other guys have an external MIDI box of some sort. Perhaps this is related.
interesting. I don't have any other external MIDI interfaces (for driving 5-pin MIDI boxes) either, but I do have a bunch of USB MIDI "devices" like Metagrid, iPad interface, IAC driver, etc...

12-core 3.46GHz Cheese Grater, 64GB RAM, HD | Native, HD I/O
Old 08-17-2021, 02:21 AM

I was able to reproduce this bug when dragging MIDI generated from a plug-in onto a track, e.g. from Stylus or the Massey drum replacer one. As far as I’m aware that one was squashed a while back, though it’s perfectly possible it’s come back again of course.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
interesting. I don't have any other external MIDI interfaces (for driving 5-pin MIDI boxes) either, but I do have a bunch of USB MIDI "devices" like Metagrid, iPad interface, IAC driver, etc...
I was wrong. One of our guys does NOT use an external MIDI interface and is still seeing occasional dead MIDI on Instrument tracks, so that's not the sole culprit. However, the machines that have not external box seem to see this issue far less than those that do, so maybe it's part of the equation.