Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-26-2015, 07:23 PM

Default Triggering multiple soft synths on different octaves

So I know how to use a MIDI track to host multiple instrument tracks and play back on my keyboard triggering all of them. But to my understanding this will only work if all of my instruments are in the same octave? Which would be the octave I'm playing on my midi keyboard.

How would I trigger 3 or 4 different instrument tracks if say 2 of them are in the 2nd octave and the other 2 tracks are in the 3rd octave?

Reason I ask is because its hard for me to write my leads on a piano because the final sound relies so much on the sound design of the layers. So I need a way to riff out melodies and still be able to hear close to my final sound..Which would mean when I'm riffing the melodies id need to trigger all of my layers at once, except my layers are in different octaves.

One thing I could do that I just thought of while typing this is go right into my synth and pitch the oscillators accordingly so when I play the 2nd octave on my keys it actually plays the 3rd octave out of the synth..but ill only do that last resort if there is no other way to do it since I dont wanna change the patches if I dont have to.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Triggering multiple soft synths on different octaves

Since you don't want to change the patches if you don't have to there's only one other option that I can think of. Duplicate the MIDI track as many times as you need to and transpose the MIDI tracks you want to have in different octaves. There might be another and it doesn't mean changing a patch itself but the vi itself. Check to see if the vi has a way to pitch shift by an octave the whole synth. Some synths do this to account for the fact that not every keyboard controller uses the same octave numbering scheme. For instance C3 on one could be C2 on another.

QAPLA!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:47 AM

Maybe you can find a use for "Midi real time properties" to achieve what you want. (Right-klick on track name.)
Old 03-27-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Maybe you can find a use for "Midi real time properties" to achieve what you want. (Right-klick on track name.)
That only applies to the MIDI track itself and would transpose the sole MIDI track the op is currently using. There's no easy way except what I outlined.

QAPLA!
Old 03-29-2015, 10:36 PM

Looking like ill just be changing the patches, not a big deal. Just wanted to learn a way to do it without if it was quick.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
Looking like ill just be changing the patches, not a big deal. Just wanted to learn a way to do it without if it was quick.
Quickest and easiest way it to do is as I outlined - duplicate the MIDI track and transpose the duplicates and have those feed your vi tracks. That way you don't have to sweat about getting every oscillator right in a patch which can be a problem (been there done that) in multi-oscillator patches. Transposing the MIDI is super-easy. I do it all the time.

QAPLA!
Old 03-30-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Quickest and easiest way it to do is as I outlined - duplicate the MIDI track and transpose the duplicates and have those feed your vi tracks. That way you don't have to sweat about getting every oscillator right in a patch which can be a problem (been there done that) in multi-oscillator patches. Transposing the MIDI is super-easy. I do it all the time.
Ahh i misread what you said last time. I get it this time.

Would still need to transpose multiple clips but i would only have to transpose 2 or 3 clips rather than like 6. One per octave instead of one per instrument, ill give that a shot.