Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-08-2022, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Any happy users of the Focusrite 8/16Line with HDX systems?

I have a Red 16 Line but I do not use it with HDX for the aforementioned issue with sample accuracy on inserts.

I also have an MTRX that I use with HDX.

That aside, the Red 16 Line is a terrific interface.
It tops out at 64IO, and only 32 channels over Dante which may or not be an issue for you.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 09-08-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
I use a Focusrite AM2 to monitor the secondary system.
Are the AM2 outputs the equivalent of the Red headphone outputs but with more gain?
Old 09-15-2022, 01:39 PM

Thanks, Justice. One thing I find is that if an interface is good enough we don't even think of how it sounds, because it's just doing the job.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Are the AM2 outputs the equivalent of the Red headphone outputs but with more gain?
That I don't know. They sound very similar, but a bit louder.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 09-16-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodydetective View Post
Thanks, Justice. One thing I find is that if an interface is good enough we don't even think of how it sounds, because it's just doing the job.
I rarely get worked up these days over "how an interface sounds". Just like with live sound consoles, there are so many other factors that determine the quality of the sound that you hear that it's nearly impossible to narrow it down to just the preamps, or output amplifiers of the interface. And you can't do a real side/by side comparison with the same signal chain, outputting to the same set of headphones or speakers at the same time and listening by the same people.

Quality pro level interfaces these days are all sounding very good. And so much better than what we had just 10 or 15 years ago.

For me, it's more about the function and user interface that affects how I feel about the usefulness and quality of an interface or mixer that I really couldn't care less about what the actual "sound of the preamps" is.

I'm a big fan of both Dante and Focusrite.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 09-17-2022, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodydetective View Post
It’s kind of a misnomer to me because the term is traditionally applied to synchronization to a tc source. The issue is in how the 16Line reports its own latency to PT - and that it takes a little longer to process but doesn’t give PT an accurate number of samples to offset IO operations like inserts.

It just describes the unit of accuracy. The first time I read it was when Digidesign introduced automatic delay compensation for Pro Tools about 20 years ago. They also used it to describe automatic delay compensation in Pro Tools HD with 192 interfaces. Most DAW developers use it to describe stuff like automation when it gets calculated in a sample accurate way. Steinberg used it to describe the accuracy of ASIO2 when synchronising multiple DAWs.

On the other hand, a lot of timecode stuff isn't sample accurate... particularly when it comes to the Sync HD. MTC has an accuracy of about 0.6ms, or 28-ish samples at 48kHz. Genlock for video sync only has a quarter frame accuracy in Pro Tools, which is a 10 sample accuracy at 25FPS. SMPTE LTC is an 80-bit format, where one bit equals 1/80th of a frame, etc.

Like Darryl mentioned, the Focusrite Red stuff mimics an Avid HD I/O interface - specifically the digital version, which makes it impossible to match in terms of latency as it has no AD or DA conversion at all.

A couple of other *gotches* with the Red stuff, which may or may not ruin your day:

- You can't use ASIO/Coreaudio via Thunderbolt and Digilink I/O at the same time. It is one of the other.

- Despite being one or the other, you still need a thunderbolt cable attached to control the functions in the interface via Rednet Control 2. For whatever reason, the Red series interfaces need thunderbolt, while the Rednet series stuff are controllable over the same ethernet connection used for Dante.

It can be a bit of a pain if the interface and computer are separated by any great distance. The DAD/MTRX stuff does this really easily as it uses ethernet and digilink, both of which support long cable runs quite happily.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.

Last edited by LDS; 09-17-2022 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I'm a big fan of both Dante and Focusrite.

AMEN!! Once we got our Focusrite RED 4Pres and connected to Focusrite R1 we lost ALL Digilink connectivity and have never looked back. Builidng a very large Dante network with a Studio Technologies Master Clock as the "rock"... makes all the difference in the world!

Have lots of clean Avid gear to sell and appreciate the fact that Avid finally woke up and loosened the IO options for Ultimate.

Our next move is multiple SSL System T consoles... all Dante and they talk to Focusrite just as if they were SSL.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Why don't we just shut down the forums and direct everyone to the FAQ on Avid's website. Don't be a douche, bro.
When I read this response I just thought Darryl's one of the nicest, most responsive people on this forum :)

Ref Focusrite 8/16 Line, I can't find a single one for sale in stock in Europe...only long wait times.. if anyone else can please let me know.

cheers
H
Old 09-25-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud View Post
When I read this response I just thought Darryl's one of the nicest, most responsive people on this forum :)

Ref Focusrite 8/16 Line, I can't find a single one for sale in stock in Europe...only long wait times.. if anyone else can please let me know.

cheers
H
Yes dante products are in short supply right now due to supply chain issues.

You could get a refurb:

https://store.focusrite.com/en-gb/pr...1DM~MORE0001DM

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting
Old 09-25-2022, 11:25 AM

I recently looked for new A/D and came across quite a lot about Focusrite interfaces on this forum. This is why Darryl suggested that you seek it out: you could wait a few days for this thread to populate and *maybe* get adequate answers, or gain immediate access to fully-discussed info via those other threads. In any case, I don't see why it was considered rude to offer research tools.